• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Ultimate Daytona Buying Guide (Ref. 116520/116500)

shortlegs

31/5/19
Appreciate the effort in the write-up, but if I may give some feedback..

Reading the post it seems that the general tone (at least for points 1-3) is that ARF is very good, much better than the Noob in most ways except the functionality. But I feel this is a little biased.

The ARF is better in the aspects mentioned, but the improvement over the Noob is not that spectacular and only watch geeks like us analysing blown up macro shots can spot the difference.

The Noob is honestly very good out of the box as it is. Is it less close to gen than the ARF in certain aspects? Yes, but not by that much. However, it's single unquestionable advantage over the ARF is that it has a fully cloned 4130 movement that is as reliable as rep movements come, allowing a fully functioning watch like the gen in all aspects. This is a HUGE plus to many people, myself included, that has resulted in the Noob being way more popular than the ARF.

I think that tweaking the writeup to emphasise more on this advantage of Noob will help the writeup to be more objective and help new members better.

Just my $0.02..

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Good write up, I can be a jungle to figure everything out when you first start here

Cheeps

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
24/11/18
Appreciate the effort in the write-up, but if I may give some feedback..

Reading the post it seems that the general tone (at least for points 1-3) is that ARF is very good, much better than the Noob in most ways except the functionality. But I feel this is a little biased.

The ARF is better in the aspects mentioned, but the improvement over the Noob is not that spectacular and only watch geeks like us analysing blown up macro shots can spot the difference.

The Noob is honestly very good out of the box as it is. Is it less close to gen than the ARF in certain aspects? Yes, but not by that much. However, it's single unquestionable advantage over the ARF is that it has a fully cloned 4130 movement that is as reliable as rep movements come, allowing a fully functioning watch like the gen in all aspects. This is a HUGE plus to many people, myself included, that has resulted in the Noob being way more popular than the ARF.

I think that tweaking the writeup to emphasise more on this advantage of Noob will help the writeup to be more objective and help new members better.

Just my $0.02..

Hey man. Thanks for your feedback.

To give my 2 cents: I think the ARF is better than the noob in every way except the functionality. The dial is very crisp and the bracelet feels very very close to a genuine Rolex bracelet. The bezel used to be better, now its only marginal since noob updated to a v3 bezel. Additionally the case shape (in my opinion) is better on the ARF.

You do not need macro shots to feel different when looking at the crisper dial or when touching the bracelet (also in my opinion).

I stand by the point that looks wise the ARF is ahead of the noob. I would never buy an ARF since I dont want a half functioning watch, but looks wise: ARF > Noob.

Last edited:

SRBJKU

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/9/19

To give me 2 cents: I think the ARF is better than the noob in every way except the functionality. The dial is very crisp and the bracelet feels very very close to a genuine Rolex bracelet. The bezel used to be better, now its only marginal since noob updated to a v3 bezel. Additionally the case shape (in my opinion) is better on the ARF.

You do not need macro shots to feel different when looking at the crisper dial or when touching the bracelet (also in my opinion).

I stand by the point that looks wise the ARF is ahead of the noob. I would never buy an ARF since I dont want a half functioning watch, but looks wise: ARF > Noob.

I wonder how soon Noob's exclusive access to the 4130 movement ends. I love my Noob 116500LN's, but when ARF is able to get the 4130 think Noob's sales will take a hit.

bill33

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
12/5/12
UK
I wonder how soon Noob's exclusive access to the 4130 movement ends. I love my Noob 116500LN's, but when ARF is able to get the 4130 think Noob's sales will take a hit.

It won’t end. It’s Noobs development.

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA

To give my 2 cents: I think the ARF is better than the noob in every way except the functionality. The dial is very crisp and the bracelet feels very very close to a genuine Rolex bracelet. The bezel used to be better, now its only marginal since noob updated to a v3 bezel. Additionally the case shape (in my opinion) is better on the ARF.

Totally agree, for me the bracelet and clasp on a Noob is not even close to being Gen spec. The feel, color, weight and form EVERYTHING is wrong on a Noob. But yes, the movement is awesome

georgiworld2

8/7/13
Is this Daytona dial worth building around?
ea099dc085ed6e1060a19a7e7e5ed0d6.jpg

Its for the 4130 movement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

georgiworld2

8/7/13
Yes i did but I’m spatially dyslexic so i can’t tell if it is an Arf, noob or custom dial
My apologies

Cheeps

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
24/11/18
Yes i did but I’m spatially dyslexic so i can’t tell if it is an Arf, noob or custom dial
My apologies

Ah sorry I misunderstood your question then. I can check it out closer later, but first impression is that its not an ARF if its for 4130 movement and hasnt been shaved yet.

Mm..mm

Known Member
6/9/11
CONUS
Amazing! post! One small question, Cheeps. Do you think the CF bezel is better than the Arf's or they are on par? Said another way, do you think it's worth ordering a CF bezel if one buys an Arf?

Cheeps

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
24/11/18
Amazing! post! One small question, Cheeps. Do you think the CF bezel is better than the Arf's or they are on par? Said another way, do you think it's worth ordering a CF bezel if one buys an Arf?

Short answer: yes.

If you, however, own an ARF watch and want to wear only the ARF I think buying the CF only makes sense when your ARF bezel numbers are fading.

If you own a noob base and want to choose between ARF and CF, CF is better.

Mm..mm

Known Member
6/9/11
CONUS
Originally posted by Mm..mm View Post

Short answer: yes.

If you, however, own an ARF watch and want to wear only the ARF I think buying the CF only makes sense when your ARF bezel numbers are fading.

If you own a noob base and want to choose between ARF and CF, CF is better.

Makes sense. How about if you have a noob base and Arf donor watch. Do you think it's worth adding the CF? Curious on how close the two are.

Cheeps

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
24/11/18
Makes sense. How about if you have a noob base and Arf donor watch. Do you think it's worth adding the CF? Curious on how close the two are.

I’d do it yea. Just sell the donor with arf bezel

Mm..mm

Known Member
6/9/11
CONUS
Originally posted by Mm..mm View Post

I’d do it yea. Just sell the donor with arf bezel

Thanks for the advice. I think I will do that.

Leo292

Horology Curious
22/2/20
This post is so helpful. I’m looking for a ready 116500 modded or fankened but had no luck yet.

thanks again!