• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

4130 noob...would you service it in this case?

fabianuzzo1990

18/6/14
Hi all, so I m going crazy comparing my noob 4130 to other watches to measure its performance.
put it with a a7750 and winded both 30 times, the noob lasted after 31 hours while the 7750 is still running.
does the pr of my noob be really bad and need servicing to avoid damages or is that normal ?

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
That is 30 winds and wearing the watch or 30 winds and leaving still? Also is that running the watch and chrono at the same time?

I have 2 noob 4130's. One is new V3 one is the V1. The V1 I have taken with me on vacation with a few watches and I wound it about 50 winds and set it and wore it for 2 days. I put it in the ship safe and 3 days later, yes 3 days it was still running. I put it back on and it was and still is amazing. I did have an issue when I ran the chrono all day. I would lose time on the V1. So I changed the mainspring and the clutch to the real rolex counterparts.

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
I have Noob v2 serviced movement with gen mainspring and autowind module. After 25 winds of crown and leave it on table, it lasts almost 60 hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: occb2

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
I have Noob v2 serviced movement with gen mainspring and autowind module. After 25 winds of crown and leave it on table, it lasts almost 60 hours.

I just got the V3. Can't wait to test that sucker. I haven't been able to take it off my wrist long enough to do upgrades. But all kidding aside, I did the main spring on my first noob 4130 along with a few keyless parts and chrono gear because I did all real rolex hands including the chrono. The real rolex chrono hand didn't fit the noob chrono gear. Then I change the clutch because running the chrono I would lose time. I first thought it was the main spring so that was why I changed it. But it wasn't that. LOL. Never the less, great upgrades. At the end of the day I had a real dial, real crystal, real bezel, real hands and an amazing 4130 running amazing. That I built up as a 116520 white dial.

This V3 that I got is a 116500 black dial. Hasn't lost a sec and when I put it on the timegrapher

That was right out of the box after I wound it up. I will leave it for a few weeks and see how it is broken in. I plan on getting a bunch of real 4130 parts put in, including the balance.

Reactions: srhoque

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Looks great Rob!! Go for the gen parts, makes the movement more reliable.

fabianuzzo1990

18/6/14
Thx for feedback guys, just to make it more clear I wound it 30 times and left in the box without chrono working. So reading your situation I assume power reserve is something like 50% of what it should be.
concern is if that means service is needed soon or if I can leave it as it is.. :(

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Thx for feedback guys, just to make it more clear I wound it 30 times and left in the box without chrono working. So reading your situation I assume power reserve is something like 50% of what it should be.
concern is if that means service is needed soon or if I can leave it as it is.. :(

Maybe wind it 50 times and see what happens? You might be a tiny winder.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
From the instructions on the real Daytona

"Before being worn for the first time, or if it has stopped, a Rolex watch must be wound manually in order to function correctly and precisely.
To wind the watch manually, unscrew the winding crown completely, then turn it several times clockwise. (Turning in the other direction has
no effect.) A minimum of 25 turns is required for adequate partial winding.The watch will then
be wound automatically as long as it is worn on the wrist. Carefully screw the crown back down against the case to ensure waterproofness."

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
When I got my 16610 in 2000 from rolex, and I have lived by this rule, during the first week, wind the watch 50 turns every day to break in the main spring. I did that with all my 3135 reps. Now the Daytona I do not know. I know that my 116520 noob 4130 power reserve is amazing. I do keep all my watches on winders. Never the less when I go away and I pack watches I will put them in the safe.

One more thing I was told when I got my first rolex at Rolex. They recommend that if you do not have a winder to hack the watch so the main spring stays under a load. I did that with my 16610 and my 16613. After I retired I started with reps and brought winders.

Reactions: gunsmoke16610

fabianuzzo1990

18/6/14
So may it be that pr went lower cause I wear my noob only once a week preferring a cheapy explorer as beater? Shall I try to keep it on winder for a while and see if it balance himself or this would not happen?

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
So may it be that pr went lower cause I wear my noob only once a week preferring a cheapy explorer as beater? Shall I try to keep it on winder for a while and see if it balance himself or this would not happen?

How long have you had it? Do you have access to a timegrapher? If so. Give it 40 winds and put it on and read the results.

Power reserve is very easy to test. Wind it and leave it. Take a week and just wind it 40 times a day and don't wear it. Then the last day wind it again 40 times and leave it alone. Check every 12 hours and write the 12 hours. Note when it dies. Add up the time. Mine lasted 3 days. I found that crazy. Date watches are easier. You just set it on the right date and time. Fully wind and leave alone. You will see the date and time it stopped. LOL.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Or do like Tudor and Zenith and put a date between 4 and 5

fabianuzzo1990

18/6/14
I think It may look cool :D
VLJmng.jpg

Reactions: occb2

Logixa

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
9/11/17
Netherlands
According to the official Rolex 4130 service manual:

45 winds to get to full pr.
It should last approx 60 or more hours.

Anything less and there is something wrong.

wildrabbit

Renowned Member
Supporter
11/8/18
When I got my 16610 in 2000 from rolex, and I have lived by this rule, during the first week, wind the watch 50 turns every day to break in the main spring. I did that with all my 3135 reps. Now the Daytona I do not know. I know that my 116520 noob 4130 power reserve is amazing. I do keep all my watches on winders. Never the less when I go away and I pack watches I will put them in the safe.

One more thing I was told when I got my first rolex at Rolex. They recommend that if you do not have a winder to hack the watch so the main spring stays under a load. I did that with my 16610 and my 16613. After I retired I started with reps and brought winders.

This is what I was told too - and I have lived by this rule ever since. Both my 16610 and 16613 were like this. The Super reps I got in which have the 3135 and 4130 respectively were treated in the same manner from the factory and work flawlessly. In the very near future I plan on changing out some of the Rep movement parts with Gen parts. Not that it needs it - just because I am a little nutty like most on here.