• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

1680 Replica wich one looks the best?

WatchGeek5711

Known Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
4/3/19
Deutschland
Greeting fellow Watch enthusiats,
im currently digging the Vintage vibe hard and therefore i need to get my hands on this grail of mine
the Rolex Submariner 1680 i saw BP makes one for roughly 150-200 usd on Dhgate, then again theres those for 230USD on the TD sites.
i would ask someone that owns one of those vintage Subs (can be any ref btw i just need that vintage sub) to share their experience here.

appreciate any comments!
thx alot fellas.

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
for but if I'm a right budget. Throwing money away at DHgate. Trusted dealer, m2M and you should know better.

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
In Time is trusted and Ryan is a good.dude. Chinese New year so wait until mid Feb before ordering.

WatchGeek5711

Known Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
4/3/19
Deutschland
i might add this one is rly bad. the seller sold it to me as BP wich is a lie ... i didnt know at that time.
the crownguards are of different size, The date window is too tiny. noisy rotor , wrong strap... so many things off here. even the escape walve is messed up.

WatchGeek5711

Known Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
4/3/19
Deutschland
Uh...the 1680 shouldn’t have an HEV. Unless by “messed up” you mean that it’s not there at all.

sorry i prolly expresed myself wrong there. the HEV is on the Double Red seadweller. they messed it up though. it was my first and now probably last Dhgate replica.
therefore im looking to get the best bang for buck out of a 1680 from any reputable seller now as DaleM suggested.

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
i might add this one is rly bad. the seller sold it to me as BP wich is a lie ... i didnt know at that time.
the crownguards are of different size, The date window is too tiny. noisy rotor , wrong strap... so many things off here. even the escape walve is messed up.

Every 1680 rep has bad crown guards and cases. That’s why they all have to be modded. The rotor noise is probably because there’s a 21j movement in there, which only winds uni-directionally so the rotor will be loud af.

Just go talk to any of the TDs and get a JKF (cartel) 1680 and mod it. They’re all on sale. A 2835 version costs $170 bucks. You will have to mod it to make it look closer to gen bc ootb, it’s as far from gen as a dial that says folex.

Here’s a few of the mods that are a must imo.
1. Reshape the case (thin it a bit. Soften the edges. Shape the crown guards.)

2. Get a better crown and tube. I use atheya’s. Mainly bc it’s not too pricey and the tube screws right in to the cartel case. This makes it much easier but the quality of the tube isn’t great so you have be careful.

3. A better dial or lume the cartel dial. The dial just isn’t correct at all. It has gotten a lot better in the last couple of years. (The entire watch used to be just BAD. Tiny crown guards. Horrible dial with tiny markers..etc.

4. Drill the lug holes to be wider to fit gen spec spring bars.

I’m happy with mine but may do another build sooner or later. There’s a few things I would do differently on my next build.

0fd19601585143318fb737fa06af1751.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bc1221

30/4/14
here are the watches im refering to, both look absolutely stunning. just gotta know more, ona tight budget atm

That DhGate one almost looks like a gen with the dial text photoshopped out.
That will not be the watch you get. Lol you’ll most likely get a canal st special. Go to a TD. InTime is good one but I have no idea on the specs of that case so if you plan on modding, I would ask someone who has that watch to see the specs. Dial size is the most important.

Good luck

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Marvellous Replica does the JKF 1680 2813 for $100. Great base for a bit of "it's so cheap I don't care if I muck it up" modding... I have a few of em.

Reactions: D Ramone

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
hi that sounds fun, do you have a few pictures ? like how you modded them vs Stock?
Sorry, I don't have any 1680 photos yet, as I've got them lined up for future modding, having bought 8 or so varied JKF vintage rolex models to work on. (My most recent being a 6538 which I posted about here.)

If you're not familiar with the M's offer on the JKF watches, take a look at his thread. And NCRich has also published a series of excellent tutorials on modding vintage pieces using the JKFs as a starting point.

Reactions: KJ2020 and D Ramone

TwoDads

Looking Around
27/12/18
I’m happy with mine but may do another build sooner or later. There’s a few things I would do differently on my next build.

What would you do differently with the next build?

bc1221

30/4/14
What would you do differently with the next build?

The 1680, I would prob start with a better case. Cartel cases are decent at best but they’re not gen spec so for a 1680, I had to shave .5mm off of the dial, which isn’t fun at all. I would probably try to get a gen movement too. If I’m going to build another 1680, I would do a high end build. This one was my “getting back in to the hobby” project. First build I’ve done in years.

I would prob just do another piece tho. Maybe a 5513 since it will fit correctly in to a cartel case.

I’m currently on my 16800 project (gathering parts) and after that, I need to finish up my 1016 but my next project that I plan on starting after those 2 would be a 5513 or 5512. I don’t have any no date subs yet. Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: TwoDads

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
hi that sounds fun, do you have a few pictures ? like how you modded them vs Stock?

Marvelous Replicas' JKFs are a great bargain to learn some modding skills on. And not too shabby just to knock around with as a beater. I just got this 5512 in. Not in any hurry to change a thing, it's "OK" as is, for now.

15802740299341.jpg

Last edited: