• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex is suing La Californienne

R2L

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
Wonder if the same fate awaits Bamford, Blackout Concepts and the other European modders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
I guess a lot will depend on the outcome of the trial if they don't settle

sent from middle earth

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Wonder if the same fate awaits Bamford, Blackout Concepts and the other European modders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not sure but aren’t there a few that are authorized to work on Rolex? Like bamford and Cartier? Limited authorization I’m sure.

R2L

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
I’m not sure but aren’t there a few that are authorized to work on Rolex? Like bamford and Cartier? Limited authorization I’m sure.

If that is the case, then La Californienne's problem is that they do not have a licensing agreement with Rolex and not that they are producing fakes. That should come out in the trial, unless the case is settled before it goes to trial.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
Bamford already stopped selling Rolex. They have an agreement with Zenith, Tag and a couple of other fashion brands. They also started turning out their own £350 shitters.

But yeah, I think Rolex wants to stop anyone re-making their watches and selling them. La Californienne watches are monstrosities - no surprise that they are being made an example of first.

Last edited:
Reactions: p0pperini

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
. La Californienne watches are monstrosities - no surprise that they are being made an example of first.

yes they are awful, on their defense i think they focus on women, hence all the pink dials :p

Xilikon

20/8/19
The main question is if a buyer bought a Rolex thru a legitimate AD and then give to a modder, he would be free to do as he wish because it's his own property. If La Californienne buy watches from a AD and mod them, I don't know if they have the right and if they offer their own warranty ? I think we are in a grey zone.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
The main question is if a buyer bought a Rolex thru a legitimate AD and then give to a modder, he would be free to do as he wish because it's his own property. If La Californienne buy watches from a AD and mod them, I don't know if they have the right and if they offer their own warranty ? I think we are in a grey zone.

If you buy a Rolex you can do what you want with it, but if you modify or alter it in any way and try to sell it as a Rolex, Rolex SA will no longer consider it as being one of their products - you've altered it, therefore it is, in their eyes, no longer a Rolex, therefore it can not have Rolex logo/reference numbers on it.

Reactions: freediver

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK

Nope, no grey zone at all. What trip said.

Reactions: tripdog

Xilikon

20/8/19
If you buy a Rolex you can do what you want with it, but if you modify or alter it in any way and try to sell it as a Rolex, Rolex SA will no longer consider it as being one of their products - you've altered it, therefore it is, in their eyes, no longer a Rolex, therefore it can not have Rolex logo/reference numbers on it.

Fair enough, if they acted like that, then it make sense. I thought they are only offering modding services where customers bring their own Rolex to be modded to their taste and if they indeed bought Rolex watches themselves to mod it and resell, it's normal for Rolex to sue them to protect the trademark.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
Fair enough, if they acted like that, then it make sense. I thought they are only offering modding services where customers bring their own Rolex to be modded to their taste and if they indeed bought Rolex watches themselves to mod it and resell, it's normal for Rolex to sue them to protect the trademark.

Its more about shutting them down than protecting a trademark - Rolex whore their branding out all over the place. Whats got a lot of folks spooked is if they go after the vintage market in the same way - lots of that is not 100% original either...

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Interesting read.

Most posters commented to the effect that "If I want to spend 10K on a Rolex and paint pink unicorns on the dial it's none of Rolex's business". That's true, but then don't be shocked if the AD threatens to void your warranty when you bring it in for a service. (After all, let's remember that Rolex spends BIG bucks sponsoring things like Three Day Equestrian Events, not My Little Pony conventions.)

La Californienne mods their watches with dials that are "re-imagined...hand-painted using punchy pops of color inspired by California’s vibrant sunsets..." :sick: , which they then sell commercially as a Rolex (or Cartier, or whatever) brand watch. Gwyneth Paltrow and her GOOP website rave about them, and $ money $ is made. To me, that is another matter, and I think Rolex has a point. I'm surprised Rolex took this long to jump on them.

But gawd, they are fugly - and this is one woman that would not be caught dead with one on her wrist.

(Feel free to talk me out of my position, but don't even try to convince me they are fashionable...)

Reactions: KJ2020

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
Interesting read.

Most posters commented to the effect that "If I want to spend 10K on a Rolex and paint pink unicorns on the dial it's none of Rolex's business". That's true, but then don't be shocked if the AD threatens to void your warranty when you bring it in for a service. (After all, let's remember that Rolex spends BIG bucks sponsoring things like Three Day Equestrian Events, not My Little Pony conventions.)

La Californienne mods their watches with dials that are "re-imagined...hand-painted using punchy pops of color inspired by California’s vibrant sunsets..." :sick: , which they then sell commercially as a Rolex (or Cartier, or whatever) brand watch. Gwyneth Paltrow and her GOOP website rave about them, and $ money $ is made. To me, that is another matter, and I think Rolex has a point. I'm surprised Rolex took this long to jump on them.

But gawd, they are fugly - and this is one woman that would not be caught dead with one on her wrist.

(Feel free to talk me out of my position, but don't even try to convince me they are fashionable...)

The less said about Paltrow and her steamed vagina / vagina candle the better.

Reactions: sfgerl

Genera74

29/12/14
Think Rolex is suing la californienne for being dead ugly (and damaging the brand) rather than unauthorized use of its logo...