• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best Source For A Proper 116500 Crystal Gasket for a NOOB watch?

Yellobird

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/15
Guys, any idea on where to get a good (or possibly maybe even gen) proper height (2.2-2.3 mm tall) crystal gasket for the Noob watch in order to get rid of the milky crystal edge?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
The common solution is sanding the existing gasket to the desired height. There’s a good description of the process in a post somewhere around here - the important/clever bit being that it’s done with the gasket on a crystal, IIRC...

Reactions: freediver

Yellobird

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/15
Will need to find that thread, thank you! One thing that bothers me is whether it can be sanded down really smooth for it not to affect waterproofness in any way.

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Lots of crystal gaskets on ebay, you just need to know the proper height.

Yellobird

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/15
Thanks everyone! Gasket ordered from CousinsUK and now officially on the way to me. Cannot wait to get rid of "the milky rim"! Now I need to find a budget press and keep fingers crossed that the bezel won't crack in the process of replacing the gasket!

Alephpark

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/1/17
I believe the gen crystal's gasket height is 2.3mm. Find one on various watch parts supply website or ebay

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia

Yellobird

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/15
Awesome! Will be purchasing this!

Be careful with lint and dust, I did not mention some small particles and pressed the bezel on a crystal that was not 100% clean. Had to get in from behind a few days later to clean the crystal again:

newrepper

13/6/18
My bad I didn’t realize you already said. came out nice! Hopefully mine will too

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
Final result:

Shave the gasket.
​​​​the crystal is still sitting too high.

What you do is, put the glass with gasket through the bezel until you have the desired height / crystal alignment and then shave off the protruding part of the gasket with a razor. We did that twice, first week ended at 12.36mm and now we're at 12.28mm.

this is how it is supposed to sit, gen like:

Yellobird

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/15
Shave the gasket.
​​​​the crystal is still sitting too high.

What you do is, put the glass with gasket through the bezel until you have the desired height / crystal alignment and then shave off the protruding part of the gasket with a razor. We did that twice, first week ended at 12.36mm and now we're at 12.28mm.

this is how it is supposed to sit, gen like:

Nice job but to be honest I think I will leave this as it is. Not really worth the hassle prying off the bezel again, aligning everything etc for the additional 0.19 mm difference mod.

Reactions: Storm.

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
Nice job but to be honest I think I will leave this as it is. Not really worth the hassle prying off the bezel again, aligning everything etc for the additional 0.19 mm difference mod.

True.

It's a personal preference thing. I want the watch to not be able to be "told" on the wrist. If I talk about it I say it's a rep, but I don't want the discussion, I just want the watch lol.
And imho the crystal height is the main tell really. The watch dial looks alot closer to the glass / it looks like there is no glass, the further you go down.

And 12.28mm is gen spec.

Yellobird

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/15
If I ever meet someone at a club or at a restaurant who will have a look at my noob and say: „dude, that watch is so fake, gen crystal sits 0.19 mm lower!” it will literally blow my mind :)

but at the same time I did replace the gasket so maybe I have no right to make fun of that :)

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
If I ever meet someone at a club or at a restaurant who will have a look at my noob and say: „dude, that watch is so fake, gen crystal sits 0.19 mm lower!” it will literally blow my mind :)

but at the same time I did replace the gasket so maybe I have no right to make fun of that :)

That's not what I meant and you know it lol

It's just something that sticks out when looking at it.

​​​​​

Last edited: