• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob’s new GMT bezels are poorly designed

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
This is a new problem with the pepsi though isnt it? Ive taken a few LN and BLNR watches apart and the system was a lot better.

I don't know, I thought this slightly crappy system was limited to lower end GMTs - sub $250 type watches. Apparently not.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
BTW, as a vaguely related aside... I just remembered there was a guy who was briefly around last year, who got into an argument with a TD (and then with everyone else on the forums) because the bezel of his expensive new GMT fell off In transit, and he couldn’t get it back on. At the time I think some people said he was lying, as this just wouldn't happen to a brand new rep. But anyway, his attitude was awful (he kept threatening a chargeback against the TD) and so his complaints about the bezel problem largely got overlooked because of that... and in the end he got banned right across the fora for being such an obnoxious d*ck.

And the moral of that "great story bro" is... don't be an obnoxious d*ck, kids.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The bezel design on the new Noob Pepsi is unlike any other rep or gen bezel I've seen. As I mentioned in the OP, I would bet that Noob is also using these bezels on their new 126710 BLNR and their new 116710 LN. And I wouldn't be surprised if they are also using them on the new V10 Subs. Anything to save money while charging more to the customer.

The issue with these new bezels is the hytrel ring is not locked in place in a bezel groove. Continued rotational force on it pinches it and coupled with up and down and lateral forces exerted on the bezel, it is much more easily dislodged from its seat as it has nothing on top to restrain it from doing so.

The other really bad aspect of these more frequent failures is the unavailability of any usable replacement hytrel ring - rep, gen or aftermarket. Go fish, lol.

Previous Noob hytrel ring happy in it's groove

aNGRb.jpg

New Noob hytrel ring naked to the world

a9Ois.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DD60 and JDM180

Rideilm

Horology Curious
14/12/19
Oh, well in that case you have my sincere apologies for suggesting it.

No reason to apologize mate. i was passive/aggressive/ly pointing out to the mods/staff that there is more than 50% tacked threads just in this rolex sub forum. I my brain is hardwired to scroll passed tacked threads.

Anyways I am off topic.

Cheers to OP for passing on great information!

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
No reason to apologize mate. i was passive/aggressive/ly pointing out to the mods/staff that there is more than 50% tacked threads just in this rolex sub forum. I my brain is hardwired to scroll passed tacked threads.!
And I was being sarcastic. ;)

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
The other really bad aspect of these more frequent failures is the unavailability of any usable replacement hytrel ring - rep, gen or aftermarket. Go fish, lol.
Mate you have helped me out on many occasions, if you can provide me with some dimensions ill have some in the post to you straight away. Watchmaking isn’t my strong point but i can machine stuff all day long.

Reactions: JDM180

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Mate you have helped me out on many occasions, if you can provide me with some dimensions ill have some in the post to you straight away. Watchmaking isn’t my strong point but i can machine stuff all day long.

I really appreciate that bro and I had that in mind straight away but I thought I would try to figure something out that others could do with a trip to the sporting goods department of Walmart. I added another layer of protection to the mod by placing a 3M tape ring over the outer edge of the fishline. That stuff is way sticky and strong so that should aid in keeping the line in place. The tape is thin and a second ring is needed to bring the insert to flush. Rotation is not hindered as long as the inner side of the line is free to move within the retaining ring groove. Forcing movement to occur on the inner side is beneficial I think, because there is a physical barrier at the top on that side.

auxmX.jpg

auS4I.jpg

au0cc.jpg

Reactions: Dr Fun Socks

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
This is why your the man kj, you can make a stronger better watch with parts from walmart than noob can make using factories in china!

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Would an ARF/vrf assembly fit the noob?

It would be worth trying bro. I think the retaining ring would have to be changed too. I think the ARF/VRF groove (even older Noob groove) would not mate with the Noob Pepsi retaining ring lip and still let the bezel sit at a proper height relative to the crystal. But it could just be that the Noob Pepsi bezel's missing upper half of its groove was simply omitted from the mold to save material. In any event you would likely also need a different hytrel ring, as you know the new Noob gasket has a unique stairstep profile cut that wouldn't likely be compatible with a full groove bezel.

aVSik.jpg

BTW the "top step" goes in face down, into the bezel detent.

JDM180

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
This is why your the man kj, you can make a stronger better watch with parts from walmart than noob can make using factories in china!

Haha, just trying to counter some of their extreme shortcuts bro. It is truly amazing what they can make for crazy low prices. This beauty just arrived - $288. Bullet proof 2836 ICHS. Just wow. Keep 'em comin while this Bonanza train rolls on. :cool:

15792177161447.jpg

Alephpark

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/1/17
thanks for taking time to share. I also admire your passion in finding a solution!

Diddern

Horology Curious
28/3/20
Having a problem with the bazel that won't sit at all into the case. Can take it off with wind hehe.

Any hints of how to get this to fit correct?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Having a problem with the bazel that won't sit at all into the case. Can take it off with wind hehe.

Any hints of how to get this to fit correct?

You need to remove the insert from the bezel. Then remove the gasket from the bezel, seat the bezel on the case and see if the gasket is reusable. Look at my first posts in this thread.

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Wow, how did I miss this thread before!! Great write-up KJ with even greater dedication to this hobby!! Loved your pics too, very relevant. Keep up the good works so that we can learn from you...

Diddern

Horology Curious
28/3/20
Thanx for your answer, I struggle a little understanding of your pictures. Almost shore I do it correct, but wont sit. Hear a click but just keep falling off. Can you try to explain how to get it back on step by step?

I think its the 3 pin click ring that does the problem.

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
Your missing the rubber gasket holding the assembly to the hrtyle ring