• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob’s new GMT bezels are poorly designed

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
This post will primarily cover the bezel on the Noob 126710 Pepsi but I’m betting they are the same on the new 126710 Batman and probably on the new 116710 LN as well. Noob has a lot of gall charging what they do for these newest GMT’s, from $100 - $200 more than models from other factories that are arguably just as good. It seems like they are trying to make up for losses during their “reorganization” (aka raid) last June.

So you got the new Noob Pepsi with its lovely insert and your bezel is loose or it popped off or you want to install a new crystal and you can’t get it back on. Well you are not alone and there is a good reason. The bezel was made without a groove in the inner perimeter to lock the gasket in place. Noob also stopped supplying a bezel tension ring, which had been included on earlier models.

Here are some pics of the components

anqK1.jpg

anmNv.jpg

Here is a pic and a sketch of how and where the gasket goes

anAgS.jpg

aj8LF.jpg

After the bezel is removed using a bezel removal tool or a case opener/knife, the stock gasket can easily become damaged or stretched out. To replace it, the bezel is set on top of the 3 pin click ring on the case and the gasket is wedged into the space between the bezel stairstep detent and the underside of the retaining ring lip.

ajrrt.jpg

Then, this is what can happen

a9qc3.jpg

If you just force it all back under the lip, it’s likely the bezel will not rotate. So you can cut a little out of the gasket

a9nro.jpg

Even this can result in the bezel still not rotating, or the gasket puckering up and dislodging from its space.

So what’s the fix?

I recently tried many previously used materials - aftermarket gasket, fishline, dental floss, plumbers tape, coated wire, etc.

aOdjQ.jpg

The only thing I found suitable was fishline. Finding the correct diameter was a challenging hit or miss proposition since too big meant no rotation and too small meant it would pop out. I bought 12 different sizes of fishline trying to find the perfect size. In the end, none of them fit so I used one slightly too big (.57mm) and sanded it down a little (.54mm). The sanding also removed the slick coating on it which I think helped make it less likely to stick against metal surfaces.

a967J.jpg

a99Lk.jpg

Unsanded .57mm fishline (too thick)

aO4J8.jpg

Sanded .54mm fishline (OK)

aOkOL.jpg

So then I tested and it and the fishline stayed in OK and it rotated OK albeit a little stiff.

To continue testing, I used my Noob case and bezel as a fidget spinner while watching a movie and after about 1000 clicks or more the fishline puckered up out of the detent while rotating CCW. It slid back into place rotating back CW. I took the following corrective actions.

Put small dabs of vaseline on the retaining ring scallops to make it rotate easier. I tried silicone grease but it didn't work well at all. Normally I don't like using vaseline near a watch but there are no crevices nearby for it to seep into. The improvement was great.

I also added a 5 digit ebay aftermarket bezel tension ring under the 3 pin click ring. The idea was to close the gap between the bezel stairstep detent and the underside of the retaining ring lip. These are available on ebay, good for a lot of uses. I've put them under aluminum inserts to raise them up flush. Also you can use them under a skinny aftermarket ceramic insert in a tape ring sandwich for the same purpose. Tape ring - tension ring - tape ring - skinny insert = flush fit.

aOP6W.jpg

aOwdR.jpg

I also made sure all lubricants were cleaned off the fishline, the detent and the retaining ring groove to help keep the fishline in place.

So far it hasn't puckered up again, but I'm not over-using it again. I have 99.9% confidence it won't pop off by itself, and it should be OK with occasional light use. It rotates easily enough. I'm going to leave it this way without fear as I never use my rep bezels, I mean literally I make a point of not using them because you just get them dirty or rub off your paint mod faster.

There can be no doubt that this bezel design totally sucks. I had a new unmolested gasket to start with and failed to get it back on and working like original. I think the retaining ring would also need to be replaced if you replaced this bezel with another better bezel, and then you run into a new crystal gasket maybe, etc. What a pain.

Video clip - password Rotate

https://vimeo.com/384674045

I didn't discover the following aspect of the fishline fix until a little later. But it would actually benefit and work for the original gasket as well.

Placing arcs of 3M double sided tape rings over the gasket (or fishline replacement) prevents the gasket from lifting up. It needs to be placed precisely. It cannot touch the retaining ring lip or it would interfere with rotation.

auS4I.jpg

au0cc.jpg

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Great post Kj - this should be a sticky! And you deserve an award for your perseverance with this abysmal design fail.

Thanks bro, I came close a few times to resigning myself to using the too big fishline and no rotation, but as Snoopy says "Failure is not an option", haha.

Reactions: p0pperini

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Oh this is great thank you, so much to learn here, with great pics and precise explanations!

Envoyé de mon ELE-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020

thinwhiteduke

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/16
Wow! Such dedication and perseverance! Yeah, like Sir Ginger, I would have simply glue the sucker and forget about it. Take a bow, Sir KJ!

thinwhiteduke

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/16
Wow! Such dedication and perseverance! Yeah, like Sir Ginger, I would have simply glued the sucker and forget about it. Take a bow, Sir KJ!

JDM180

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/9/13
Great info , I was looking at mine in bits from starting the crystal swap and sorting the case and thinking how the hell does this just "press" back together with that gasket ha

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
Great job bro...if only we can get the insert cause the assembly sucked balls. I was lucky that mine did not damage when I installed the crystal. Noob is ripping us all off those f cker s. I said it before that I can’t believe this is being held on by a gasket.

Last edited:

JDM180

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/9/13
Great job bro...if only we can get the insert cause the assembly sucked balls. I was lucky that mine did not damage when I installed the crystal. Noob is ripping us all off those f cker s. I said it before that I can’t believe this is being held on by a gasket.

I'm very tempted to grab a GMF , swap inserts and take the loss on selling the noob with GMF insert on.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Sweet jesus thats some terrible work by noobs design team! Its almost like they want the watches to break so we buy more... someone needs to tell them it doesn't quite work like that! Fantastic work as always though mate!

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Sweet jesus thats some terrible work by noobs design team! Its almost like they want the watches to break so we buy more... someone needs to tell them it doesn't quite work like that! Fantastic work as always though mate!

I'd be more than surprised if Noob has a design team.

This is type bezel construction that has been used for at least a decade on modern GMT models, it is a deeply flawed design, but undoubtedly the parts are cheap to make.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
I'd be more than surprised if Noob has a design team.

This is type bezel construction that has been used for at least a decade on modern GMT models, it is a deeply flawed design, but undoubtedly the parts are cheap to make.

As in rolex use it? None of the other noob watches ive opened up use this design. Its normally the groove machined into the bezel that the ring sits in. Surely they must have a cad model of their watches somewhere though? Do you think they just send gen parts to manufacturers and hope that everything will fit together when they get parts back?

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
I have seen two like those, very poor construction. I was worried bezel will fall off when reinstalled.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
As in rolex use it? None of the other noob watches ive opened up use this design. Its normally the groove machined into the bezel that the ring sits in. Surely they must have a cad model of their watches somewhere though? Do you think they just send gen parts to manufacturers and hope that everything will fit together when they get parts back?

No, I meant the rep factories. They just came up with a cheap and reasonably effective way of copying the Rolex GMT bezel action.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
No, I meant the rep factories. They just came up with a cheap and reasonably effective way of copying the Rolex GMT bezel action.

This is a new problem with the pepsi though isnt it? Ive taken a few LN and BLNR watches apart and the system was a lot better.