• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Puretime repair issue advise please - rolex datejust gold comes off after 2 weeks

NamelessNL

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/4/18
Hi all,

3 weeks ago I received the rolex datejust 126333 from puretime. The watch is absolutely gorgeous! Far more then my expectations! The crystal, dial, bracelet, clasp... really everything is above my expectations!
I got many compliments and even rolex owners, who i told it was a rep, were very impressed!

The only issue is that after wearing the watch for 2 weeks, the gold inside the bracelet started fading and now is partly gone. Don’t get me wrong, my expectations of gold plated are not to high, i understand it can wear off after a while. But within 2 weeks... i had a gold daydate from bp that i used as a daily watch incl. Showering and all, had no problem with the gold. This watch i only wear during the day and it is already like this (see picture).

Now i asked puretime to send me a new link so i can replace it myself. But they say i have to send it (make cost) then they repair and send it back. Or I can buy a new bracelet with discount. I’m new dealing with puretime, is this normal? Why can’t they just send me a link so I replace it myself. Sending it means I can’t wear the watch for a long time and make shipping cost. If they send me a link by regular post it is cheaper for everyone.

Please advise me what is best thing to do? If it happens in few months i understand, but after 2 weeks... My gf has a 200€ MK watch gold plated that she wears day and night and gold is still perfect after 2 years.
c04dd6e32df9c4c207a358c1d0874333.jpg
c04dd6e32df9c4c207a358c1d0874333.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
It seems like you really like the watch so I'd just buy a new bracelet at discount. If the gold rubbed off on one link it will happen to the others. This way you have extra links, clasp, etc. to address the problem in the future.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
When you bleed, does your blood tend to eat through the floor?

Anyway, whatever you do, don’t send the watch back - sending a fake watch back into the Chinese postal system is never recommended. Take the bracelet at a discount.

Reactions: kennygconspiracy

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
Lot's of great advice here from these awesome brothers. I agree with getting a new bracelet on discount, much better than shipping back to China :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

NamelessNL

6/4/18
I may have extra links depending on what bracelet that is.

Oyster bracelet on the 126333 datejust 41mm from arf.
Would be happy to take over your links!

NamelessNL

6/4/18
Thanks for all the answers guys! If the links from BMW760 don’t fit I will order a bracelet with discount. I was under the impression that a TD would provide more service and send a new replacement link if something like this happenes so fast

NamelessNL

6/4/18
I've never had that happen with any TT rep watch. What exactly have you been doing with that ?

Been doing nothing. It is exactly where the inside of the clasp hits te inside of the bracelet, see picture

ac06d08f7084ac9a0738ae1ee9b0630b.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Been doing nothing. It is exactly where the inside of the clasp hits te inside of the bracelet, see picture

If that's the only place it's wearing off, you just identified the cause. A replacement link is just going to do the same thing.

Reactions: tripdog

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
If it really bothers you that much, you could put a cell phone screen protector square on a new link. It would wear down as it gets rubbed by the clasp but might last several months or longer. Replacing them is easy enough. Personally I wouldn't worry about it on the inside since you know what's causing it.

WmfVo.jpg

WHTdL.jpg

WHPIQ.jpg

WHCZS.jpg

WHluW.jpg

WHQnP.jpg

WHBhJ.jpg

rpsmithbarney

11/2/19
CONUS
I would not advise sending the watch back to Puretime. I had the very same problem and sent a watch back with correctly addressed tracked USPS shipping. Once it arrived in China Puretime chose not to collect it from the destination post office. There it sat for 6 weeks before China postal service sent it back to me "unclaimed property". Jennifer at Puretime asked me to repeat the process but I decided to buy a new bracelet from them (which also went missing in the post) - total disaster.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
I have a Franken 116613 that I've owned for over 3 years. I've never has any wear like that on my bracelet. Seems awful strange.

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
I have that on my gen blusely.

Will take pics soon.

On the gen It’s just rubbing makers.

Looks like it’s underlying steel that is showing but ofcourse there’s no underlying steel on gen. the rubbing marks cause a shadow and even on gen it looks exactly like your pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bozrep

Known Member
2/7/15
Are you sure the plating is a bit gone? It also could be the metal of the clasp that is on top of the gold plating.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met RWI

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12

It's rubbing on the clasp - unavoidable really . Thankfully it's on the inside of the bracelet.

Last edited:
Reactions: pompompurin

NamelessNL

6/4/18
Thanks for all the answers and help guys, much appreciated!
I took your advise and tried to clean it with yellow cloth but it doesn’t come off so it seems it is the metal under the gold and not metal on top of tje gold.
I will probable try to buys a new bracelet and take the phone screen cover advise!
The fact is that I’m not to worried about this one mark but was more worried about the rest of the links wearing off quick.
Just hoped puretime was a bit more helpfull and send me 1 new link by post. Since this it not the case I will try to purchase a new bracelet, always good to have a second one i guess.

Beside this issue I want to point out again: the new ARF datejust 41 with oyster bracelet is really beautifull!!!

Reactions: robinstyler

NamelessNL

6/4/18
Got the price for a new bracelet, is 148usd without shipping. i’m not really looking to spend another 148 on a bracelet when gold comes off that easy

brud

Horology Curious
24/7/16
Canada
Got the price for a new bracelet, is 148usd without shipping. i’m not really looking to spend another 148 on a bracelet when gold comes off that easy

Isn't this problem just a product of metal rubbing together at the specific spot due to the size of your wrist? I assume the stainless steel is harder than the gold plating and thus any replacement bracelet matched to your wrist size will just result in the same thing happening again?

If this were my situation, I don't think I'd buy a replacement bracelet since it won't change anything. I avoid gold plating specifically because it won't age well with wear and tear, and this seems like textbook wear and tear.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk