• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Crystal Review! Clark 25-295-CAR vs Gen

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Nice comparisons bro, well done. I have always been a big fan of Clark's crystals, especially his more recent AR cyclops ones. I asked him via email where the AR is placed due to issues with AR scratching if it is applied to exposed surfaces. He told me it is between the cyclops and the crystal which is perfect since it's protected from both sides.

I was going to post some of my pics in this thread, but there's a lot of other info in this other thread too so I'll just add a link to it.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...dback-on-clark-s-crystal-and-some-other-stuff

Reactions: kennygconspiracy

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Great thread, thanks for making the effort OP.

For me personally, I prefer even an ARF crystal to the Clarks,the black hole on the Clarks is awful imho. People on here talk about known flaws in a Rolex; the hands not 3D enough, the markers not rounded enough, the lugs not curvy enough - I don't notice any of that shite - but that Gen crystal is so, SO much better than the Clarks, it is, as others say above, an instant tell. It actually ruins a lovely watch for me. Maybe it wouldn't ruin it on its own in the wild, but in a side by side comparison like this, it looks awful.

One matchup where the Clark's wins hands down vs a gen is with a non-AR older 5 digit gen. I would rather have a Clark's on my gen, although of course I wouldn't do that.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...dback-on-clark-s-crystal-and-some-other-stuff

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
Great thread, thanks for making the effort OP.

For me personally, I prefer even an ARF crystal to the Clarks,the black hole on the Clarks is awful imho. People on here talk about known flaws in a Rolex; the hands not 3D enough, the markers not rounded enough, the lugs not curvy enough - I don't notice any of that shite - but that Gen crystal is so, SO much better than the Clarks, it is, as others say above, an instant tell. It actually ruins a lovely watch for me. Maybe it wouldn't ruin it on its own in the wild, but in a side by side comparison like this, it looks awful.
Thanks for your perspective Bubba! We all value different aspects of a clone and have to pick what we can live with. For folks who can't justify putting in an extra $340+ into a rep it can be hard to mod with a crystal. Clark is definitely a close budget option that has it's lovers and haters, haha!

I'm excited to compare ARF crystals now! I truly appreciate your input mate.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020

Interesting

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
19/8/19
Okay lads, I've hunted everywhere but have yet to see a good comparison of these two options for a Rolex Crystal. I decided to be the guinea pig and get this party started.

One is $34.

The other is ten times the amount, at about ~$340+ depending on blister or not.

Step into the ring and judge for yourself! Your input MATTERS!

Note: CHNR doesn't have a gen datewheel

............................................................................................................................................................................

In this corner, the golden two tone that breaks bones! The BP CHNR fresh back from the up and coming oascom. It has a Clark 25-295-CAR that was said to be comparable to a gen 25-295.

In that corner, the superfranken that's ready to get some fists cranking. The 116710LN that's been super treated by the legendary misiekped. It has a gen 25-295. Let's get started, shall we?
dc0373fc0217f165bda038e3f8859b6c.jpg

Can you kindly share a link of where I can get the Clark 25-295-CAR for $34? Thanks !

Luketriple70

Known Member
6/10/19
Hi guys. I’ve just got an Arf DJ 41 and the black hole has a weird blue reflection. If I get a clark crystal could be a right solution or I have to get a gen? Thanks a lot!!!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
Hi guys. I’ve just got an Arf DJ 41 and the black hole has a weird blue reflection. If I get a clark crystal could be a right solution or I have to get a gen? Thanks a lot!!!

Doubtful as you can see the blue tint in the Clark’s in the pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
I’d have to see both side by side with my own eyes, it’s hard to trust pics with this sort of comparison

Thanks for posting the thread though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19

If you can afford a gen crystal sure! :) Gen is best.

However if you don't mind the subjective blue AR and want to go 10 times cheaper then the Clark is for you.

Mind you some gens have the same blue AR on the cyclops and some don't. Personally for me this means it's not a tell.

But it's definitely up to you to form your own opinion ;)

Tommastie

Known Member
Certified
18/8/18
If you can afford a gen crystal sure! :) Gen is best.

However if you don't mind the subjective blue AR and want to go 10 times cheaper then the Clark is for you.

Mind you some gens have the same blue AR on the cyclops and some don't. Personally for me this means it's not a tell.

But it's definitely up to you to form your own opinion ;)

Thanks for the great comparison, I searched on eBay and cannot find the crystal you’re talking about. Can you post a link to the one you bought. Thank you

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
Thanks for the great comparison, I searched on eBay and cannot find the crystal you’re talking about. Can you post a link to the one you bought. Thank you
Check out post #25, I have a link up there :)

gawdy

Horology Curious
10/1/20
Australia
Can any experts here comment on comparing this to a Prof's crystal mod or the DsXtals from Crystal Clear.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
Can any experts here comment on comparing this to a Prof's crystal mod or the DsXtals from Crystal Clear.

I can tell you unequivocally, that if you are not going to get a Gen Xtal, the Prof Black Hole is the way to go. I have that on my BLRO and it's the only Rolex I own that does not have a gen xtal. All others will not be as good.

shortlegs

31/5/19
So does the Clark crystal have the LEC? Or is it only upon request as mentioned previously?

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
Photo of a Prof crystal on a 126710 (borrowed from RG) to show you the clarity they have.
WVINn.jpg
Is a Prof crystal is about $150 without installation?

If so, +$75 for crystal installation, bringing it to $225 for a crystal mod

Clark: $34 + $75

So $109 total

Not counting shipping or other fees

I definitely agree that Prof Crystal w/black hole, other than gen, is an awesome choice.

So I'd say in terms of budget,

1) Clark
2) Prof
3) Gen

In terms of effectiveness,

1) Gen
2) Prof (subjective)
3) Clark (subjective)

The effectiveness is subjective because the blue AR is a polarizing topic. Some gen crystals have blue AR. Some don't. It comes down to choice. Without blue AR you get more of the clarity effect. With AR you get more of a gloss effect.

Reactions: jcher and gawdy

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
On a side note, BP CHNR with Clark AR vs Stock

The magnification on the Clark looks as per gen

6a8c27ea77e013c4d5ef75367dfedb2b.jpg
a957641b8848f09092807d20e99298ed.jpg

Last edited:

Luketriple70

Known Member
6/10/19
Thanks to all for your answer! Where Can I get Prof?