• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

904L another fake blunder?

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Glaude The only time I've ever used anything other than carbide to machine, through necessity, was a cbn tip to turn hardened stainless. I say stainless not 316, 904 etc because the type of stainless isn't the important part. Its how hard it is. There isn't a chance in hell that any watch is made from hardened steel. Theres just no point in hardening it. You would have huge issues with having to spark in threads and warping if you hardened parts of a watch case or bracelet. 99.9% of all CNC is done using carbide tooling. WITH coolant! As glaude said, its all about the speed of the tool/work piece and the feed rate. Ok 904 had a slightly higher amount of chromium in it so it might be say 10% harder or something. Its negligible when your machining.

Plantagenet

7/12/18
Europe
This seller is a real character, I live near his store and went there a few times.

What’s funny is that he was fooled by a franken watch that he agreed to buy for a substantial amount. Seller sued him and won the trial as the professional was deemed to have such a high expertise on Rolex watches, he should not have been fooled by a fake piece.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
This seller is a real character, I live near his store and went there a few times.

What’s funny is that he was fooled by a franken watch that he agreed to buy for a substantial amount. Seller sued him and won the trial as the professional was deemed to have such a high expertise on Rolex watches, he should not have been fooled by a fake piece.

Haha that’s quality! Certainly explains the bee in his bonnet! Still doesn't explain why he hit a $700 watch with a hammer but who am i to question his madness!

mascob1

6/11/16
Glaude The only time I've ever used anything other than carbide to machine, through necessity, was a cbn tip to turn hardened stainless. I say stainless not 316, 904 etc because the type of stainless isn't the important part. Its how hard it is. There isn't a chance in hell that any watch is made from hardened steel. Theres just no point in hardening it. You would have huge issues with having to spark in threads and warping if you hardened parts of a watch case or bracelet. 99.9% of all CNC is done using carbide tooling. WITH coolant! As glaude said, its all about the speed of the tool/work piece and the feed rate. Ok 904 had a slightly higher amount of chromium in it so it might be say 10% harder or something. Its negligible when your machining.

Totally agree. I work with cnc lathes and milling machines and machining several shades of stainless steel...304L, 316L and 440L...when you have good carbide inserts no problem...it's harder to machining hardened steel or carbide itself !

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Totally agree. I work with cnc lathes and milling machines and machining several shades of stainless steel...304L, 316L and 440L...when you have good carbide inserts no problem...it's harder to machining hardened steel or carbide itself !

The guy has basically taken something that not many people know about and tried to trick everybody with it. Don’t get me wrong if i wasn’t in the industry it probably would have fooled me too. But its complete bollocks! Good to see the tool makers sticking together and calling him out!

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
There isn't a chance in hell that any watch is made from hardened steel. Theres just no point in hardening it.

Sinn - tegimented / Damasko - cryogenically hardened. But of course, you’re right that the steel is not hardened before being stamped or milled. (Though I have no idea what the specifics of Sinn submarine steel is...)

Reactions: kennygconspiracy

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Sinn - tegimented / Damasko - cryogenically hardened. But of course, you’re right that the steel is not hardened before being stamped or milled. (Though I have no idea what the specifics of Sinn submarine steel is...)

I stand corrected! I very much doubt there is any form of post hardening work carried out beyond polishing and brushing. Good find though and very interesting watch!

Mullaar

Known Member
30/11/19
Yeah massive, you are right, one is green, the other is blue, how could I miss that ! Silly me !

Yes, if you paint the 904 in blue colour and the 316 in green or vice and versa, there is a bigger difference not only in brightness bit also in the colour itself : )

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
904L is slights brighter. I have several in 904 and 316

For the last time : stop ! Not asking !

There's a topic about that, everything has been said in it, every myth spread around have been debunked, even if doesn't get in some hard heads. I've put up a link about it.

This thread is not about that !

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
If I really squint, I think I can see a slight difference between 904 and 316. I have to almost close my eyes so that I'm peeping through my eyelashes. 904 looks somehow, I don't know, friendlier.
Yeah 904L is like a feeling in your heart. Just have faith, lmao

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: fradic

mascob1

6/11/16
If I really squint, I think I can see a slight difference between 904 and 316. I have to almost close my eyes so that I'm peeping through my eyelashes. 904 looks somehow, I don't know, friendlier.

Ok...I don't want to "pollue" this thread, but I think I have an experience that will make everyone agree: In the pass I met a guy who shown me two pieces of yellow cards. For me they were absolutly identical. But he explain me that was 2 different shades of yellow but Just a few persons can see it! Apparently I was not one of them...
Moral of the story : Some rare people can see the difference, other not!
idem for the 904L ;)

Flinnt

Known Member
31/5/19
Downunder
China, who manufacture something like 80% of the world’s goods in massive factories that blow the mind in their scale and capabilities, wouldn’t have the manufacturing capabilities to do what hobbyists do in their garage.
:bsmeter:

mascob1

6/11/16
So are you saying the dress is gold and white or blue and black?

LOL...Not really...This is not a feeling or a point of vue...it's just an ability...Most people, whatever the accuracy of their vision ( I have 12/10....Yes, I'm proud of this:D) just can't see the difference...Only rare people have the " sensibility " to see the very very very very....... light shade between the 316L and the 904L...