• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

904L another fake blunder?

aristole

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
23/8/19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xlob8Uxvoc

this is an excellent video, sadly for those who do not speak french hard to understand, but basically they speak about how many people in France are scammed every day by buying fake Noob Daytona listed as good ones...

Interestingly though is that the watch in the video will be destroyed at the end by this guy, and he tells that the steel used is no way near a 904L ...this is another thing I have always doubted...

Milling and drilling alloy steels like 904L, requires huge investments in milling and drilling machines with internal cooling systems and above all specific carbide cutting tools for a mass production like they now do...personally knowing China industry I seriously doubt that these companies have ever upgraded their CNC machines just for being able to mill and drill 904L steel...

I have always suspected that the 904L was a fake marketing publicity of the fake watch industry...another way of making money by making people believe they are getting an added value that in reality is nothing. We are buying fried air.

What do you think guys?

Last edited:
Reactions: vcappp

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I don't see how the guy in the video could know the grade of steel used without having it analysed.

He's an AD, who's trying to convince future and potential customers that the fakes from China are in no way comparable to the real thing, including the quality of the steel used. Unless he does the same thing to a genuine Rolex to prove it's more resistant because of a superior quality of steel his argument doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
It was fun to watch this - it's the first time I've tried YouTube's closed captions option to automatically translate what's being said into English. Apparently the fake industry is right behind the Arms industry and the Mole industry as the biggest in the world. And they're not just imitating Rolex - they do Richard Mills and Porthole too...

As someone who looks pretty well established in the world of gens, this guy isn't a big fan of reps, so he's going to be somewhat biased against them and that colours everything he says.

Edit: I don't have perfect vision, and I haven't got a clue about the subject of metallurgy... So I have no worthwhile opinion about Chinese manufacturing ability or materials. :)

Last edited:

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Nearly all cnc production is done using carbide tooling. Its very time consuming sharpening hss tooling over and over, and it will get blunt very quickly when mass producing anything. Carbide tooling is cheap when its made in china. Id argue most of it is made in china but obviously i doubt rep factories use sandvik tips and tools. I use carbide to cut plastic.... you can get a tool with 10 tips for about £20. Poor reason to say its not 904. Im pretty sure a guy on the forums did actually check this with a mass spectrometer and it was indeed 904 steel. Also what kind of a milling or drilling machine doesn't have coolant? Have you ever tried machining metal? Anything harder than brass requires coolant and even manual machines will have coolant pipes.

Last edited:

garfunkle

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/12/19
They can weight it. If the bracelets are as close as claimed then this would be obvious. But since an variance in dimensions would dilute these results. 904L is much more scratch resistant and has a but of Nickel in it which does impact the tone whereas 316L has more copper. In isolation you would be hard pressed to tell but next tp each other you can see. There are various acids that will react differently to copper and nickel so a drop of this would also be easy. Also 904 is harder to scratch. Any jeweler can intentionally test this and simply buff it out.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xlob8Uxvoc

Milling and drilling alloy steels like 904L, requires huge investments in milling and drilling machines with internal cooling systems and above all specific carbide cutting tools for a mass production like they now do...personally knowing China industry I seriously doubt that these companies have ever upgraded their CNC machines just for being able to mill and drill 904L steel...

Incorrect. Thats what Rolex PR and AD’s would have you believe.

2Fake4You already had some parts analysed at a lab and they are actually 904. For the avoidance of doubt there are no different ‘grades’ or ‘qualities’ or %ages of 904 - its either 904 or its not. (Although the method of manufacture / forging used by Rolex is likely vastly superior to the rep factories.)

Its also freely available - which is why Rolex now call it ‘Oystersteel’ and even Ball have started using it.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
I always have a good laugh when someone just repeat the big marketing lie of "904L require big investment".

Speak to a machinist and tell him that, and just look at him laugh when he show you how he use the same tool to mill 316L, 904L, Titanium etc...

Machining metal is more a speed & feed question than a tool question, for soft steel you can use less expensive bits because in case it breaks, it's cheaper, but for anything else, as Dr Fun Socks said, Carbide is the king.

If Rolex did indeed invest in new machine, it was for other reason than the change of material !

Also, there's a long thread about 904L so lets not make this debate start again here about the scratch, color etc... it's been settled over there in the stickied thread

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I always have a good laugh when someone just repeat the big marketing lie of "904L require big investment".

Speak to a machinist and tell him that, and just look at him laugh when he show you how he use the same tool to mill 316L, 904L, Titanium etc...
But... but... the special tools... they need bits made out of Logan's boner...

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
904l is visibly different to the naked eye compared to 316l it . Very apparent

No and don't start on this here, there's a whole topic on that in the main section with all the info needed in it

If you want to say that a 904L replica is different from a 316L, I agree, but it's not because of the metal used.

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
No and don't start on this here, there's a whole topic on that in the main section with all the info needed in it

If you want to say that a 904L replica is different from a 316L, I agree, but it's not because of the metal used.

Lol 904 gen vs gen 316 looks clearly different .904 rep looks like gen 904.end of.not hon a argue we all have different opinions and I have perfect vision

Reactions: kennygconspiracy

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Lol 904 gen vs gen 316 looks clearly different .904 rep looks like gen 904.end of.not hon a argue we all have different opinions and I have perfect vision

I have a perfect vision too, this is not a dick contest, so it's still a no, it's no different. It's been settled 10 times over in said topic, so this is not a matter of opinion here, simple facts.

If you want to add that you think you can differentiate them by the naked eye, please do so in said topic and I have no problem with expressing your opinion on your own impression of it but that's all it is and worth.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...f-vs-904l-the-final-verdict-a-technical-study

Thanks

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
I have a perfect vision too, this is not a dick contest, so it's still a no, it's no different. It's been settled 10 times over in said topic, so this is not a matter of opinion here, simple facts.

If you want to add that you think you can differentiate them by the naked eye, please do so in said topic and I have no problem with expressing your opinion on your own impression of it but that's all it is and worth.

Thanks

Lol your funny bro

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13

Thanks

Lol your funny bro.there is a massive colour difference I dont care about what your saying I trust my eyes.and others who also can clearly see the difference
have a nice day buddy :)

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
904L and 316L are not different by naked eyes. I'm a gen Rolex watches collector, no difference at all between five and six reference.

I've posted pics showing the difference.plenty of timesI've got plenty of gen rolex also in 904 and gen tudors in 316 so I'll agree to disagree cant be fucked to argue

Last edited:

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Yeah massive, you are right, one is green, the other is blue, how could I miss that ! Silly me !

FrankenLover

Known Member
24/12/18
Copenhagen, Denmark
The video is clearly biased by an AD salesmen, or probably owner. And yes 904 and 316 is definitely different in my eyes

Sent from my iPhone using RWI