• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

6538 budget build progress. Plus a question about hands!

Redheart

17/5/19
Wow, this is a great budget build! What is the dial opening size on that case? I am also thinking about a 6538 and a 6541 (I know right...) build.

csr

Horology Curious
25/8/19
Really nice work. How do you drill the lugs? From the inside with a short drill / chuck or from the outside with a bit of guesswork?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Wow, this is a great budget build! What is the dial opening size on that case? I am also thinking about a 6538 and a 6541 (I know right...) build.
Thanks! :) The dial size for this one is 29mm.

Really nice work. How do you drill the lugs? From the inside with a short drill / chuck or from the outside with a bit of guesswork?
This case already has holes drilled right through - but their diameter is too small (this is the same on all the budget vintage cases from JKF and similar - although I’ve never thought to ask anyone why the factory doesn’t drill them the right diameter in the first place!).

Last edited:

Holla09

7/5/17
Did you actually submerge the hands in the vinegar or set in a tupperware and let it evaporate up to the hands?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Did you actually submerge the hands in the vinegar or set in a tupperware and let it evaporate up to the hands?
The latter. I soaked a folded up sheet of kitchen roll in vinegar, microwaved it for a minute, put it in a large Tupperware container, and poured a load of salt onto it. Then I stood the hands (on cocktail sticks, stuck in blu-tack) on top of the steaming vinegar and salt laden folded sheet. I put the lid on and left it for about a day and a half.

Reactions: Bubbe Back1

Holla09

7/5/17
Thank you! Did it have any aging affect on the lumen? Would you recommend scraping the lume off prior to aging and reapply after the vinegar bath?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Thank you! Did it have any aging affect on the lumen? Would you recommend scraping the lume off prior to aging and reapply after the vinegar bath?
Hey Holla. Yes, it sure did have an effect on the lume! Take a look at the macro close-ups of the hands, above. There's lots of pitting and bubbling of the lume that wasn't there before the process. Now, although I have no idea whether lume ever gets in this state in reality, I really like it - so I'm leaving the hands as they are. But if you want to avoid it, then yes - remove the lume before doing the salt 'n' vinegar treatment, and then apply it afterwards.

BTW, I will avoid using the term "vinegar bath" as that gives the impression that the hands are immersed, which they're not - they just get wafted with caustic fumes!

Holla09

7/5/17
That's awesome, thank you n0bby. I'm going to try that this week once my watch gets in. I think I might throw an old dial in with the hands to see what the vinegar does to that too.

Reactions: p0pperini

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I think I might throw an old dial in with the hands to see what the vinegar does to that too.
That'll be really very interesting to see... Please post some pics!

Netesac

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/8/15
n0bby Great job! Looks stellar.

P.S. Can you provide some suggestions on how to chamfer the edges? I'm looking to do the same, but have been nervous about it. Pictures would help. Thanks.

joonwantswatches

3/1/20
SoCal
The latter. I soaked a folded up sheet of kitchen roll in vinegar, microwaved it for a minute, put it in a large Tupperware container, and poured a load of salt onto it. Then I stood the hands (on cocktail sticks, stuck in blu-tack) on top of the steaming vinegar and salt laden folded sheet. I put the lid on and left it for about a day and a half.

Wow. Thats insanely clever. Great execution!

Reactions: p0pperini

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
n0bby Great job! Looks stellar.

P.S. Can you provide some suggestions on how to chamfer the edges? I'm looking to do the same, but have been nervous about it. Pictures would help. Thanks.

Netesac Hi buddy, sorry, I completely missed this question! I'm about to start on some case modding of a 1675, and I'll take some pics while that's in progress - however it's tricky to take 'em, because I do it with the watch case in one hand, and a diamond file in the other... :)

I've tried using a Dremel a couple of times but it's way too heart-stoppingly fast and furious for my liking, so I'm finding I prefer to go slowly - with a set of cheap diamond files from eBay. There's not a lot to describe really; start off with the wide flat diamond file to get the chamfer (using online close-ups of the look you're aiming for as reference). File across the lug edge, not along it. Once the chamfer look about right, give them a sanding with fine grit sandpaper wrapped round something flat (I use an emery board) and then I finish with a buff on my cheap variable speed buffing machine (fleabay again). This will tend to soften the whole thing, but that's what I prefer on these vintage cases.

Oh, and the final touch is to re-brush across the tops of the lugs with scotch-brite pad, diagonally, to reinstate the brushed finish that they always have (use any Sub pic as reference!).

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubbe Back1

Redheart

17/5/19
I might suggest to go for the high quality swiss file, for the flat and the semi ronde diamonf file. They will Outlast you, while the cheap ones are so rough and will fail eventually.

Redheart

17/5/19
I might suggest to go for the high quality swiss file, for the flat and the semi ronde diamonf file. They will Outlast you, while the cheap ones are so rough and will fail eventually.

You gain on efficiency and time and précision for after buffing

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK

Thanks Redheart - I'm always looking for the excuse to upgrade from my cheapo amateur tools to something that makes me feel more professional (even if the results are still amateur...) - would you have any recommendations/links?

Netesac

23/8/15
n0bbyRedheart Thanks for the suggestions. Would love to see some pictures. Also, please link to your 1675 project. That is next on my list :D​​​​​​​

Redheart

17/5/19
Congrats on the 1000th!
Thanks Redheart - I'm always looking for the excuse to upgrade from my cheapo amateur tools to something that makes me feel more professional (even if the results are still amateur...) - would you have any recommendations/links?

Oh I am no pro either! But after doing two watches with the cheapo diamond and rasp file, I know they really suck badly.
Then I thought, what the heck let's try good file, and then I looked a bit for info.
Diamond files are the best because they are solid, they cut in all direction.

Here is the set I bought, the fine one that is the cheapest of the 3, those are finishing files, and are very small, it's perfect for watchmaking and jewelry grinding. Try to buy only the flat and the semi ronde. I use them 90% of the times.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/va...-files-classic
mbtA4.png

You will need a handle, I have bought this one
mb8Gj.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pferd-12299.../dp/B003CP0ORO

I am sure one can find good quality japanese diamond file for half the price though!

Oh and this is a must, and will save you precious fingers! The jaws are rubbers, it's perfect for small jobs! I really like it a lot.
https://www.otelo.fr/is-bin/INTERSHO...gn=ConfCdeInt1

Last edited:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Once again, thank you Redheart for sharing your recommendations. I've ordered a set of the Swiss A * F diamond needle files from Cousins, which seem a decent spec for less money (I really am a cheapskate). I already have that Stanley vise, it is a handy and versatile piece of equipment!