Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6538 budget build progress. Plus a question about hands!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good! Great job man

Comment

Cool pics man, i hope to have a build like this some day!

Comment

I tried with the Tiger Concept big lollipop hand but had no luck with the "original" 2813 - the hand did not fit in any way - and had to change it with a 2813 from Cousins UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt5513 View Post
          I tried with the Tiger Concept big lollipop hand but had no luck with the "original" 2813 - the hand did not fit in any way - and had to change it with a 2813 from Cousins UK.
          Interesting info Matt, thanks. It'll be interesting to see if I have the same experience with the movement in this watch.
          FrankenSubs! - Subs! - Daytonas! - Seamasters! - A 1675 Adventure - A Budget 6538 build

Comment

Originally posted by n0bby View Post
            Interesting info Matt, thanks. It'll be interesting to see if I have the same experience with the movement in this watch.
            I hope that only mine was in some way "odd"

Comment

Wow, this is a great budget build! What is the dial opening size on that case? I am also thinking about a 6538 and a 6541 (I know right...) build.

Comment

Really nice work. How do you drill the lugs? From the inside with a short drill / chuck or from the outside with a bit of guesswork?

Comment

Originally posted by Redheart View Post
                  Wow, this is a great budget build! What is the dial opening size on that case? I am also thinking about a 6538 and a 6541 (I know right...) build.
                  Thanks! The dial size for this one is 29mm.

Originally posted by csr View Post
                  Really nice work. How do you drill the lugs? From the inside with a short drill / chuck or from the outside with a bit of guesswork?
                  This case already has holes drilled right through - but their diameter is too small (this is the same on all the budget vintage cases from JKF and similar - although I’ve never thought to ask anyone why the factory doesn’t drill them the right diameter in the first place!).
                  Last edited by p0pperini; 05-01-20, 01:40.
                  FrankenSubs! - Subs! - Daytonas! - Seamasters! - A 1675 Adventure - A Budget 6538 build

Comment

Did you actually submerge the hands in the vinegar or set in a tupperware and let it evaporate up to the hands?

Comment

Originally posted by Holla09 View Post
                      Did you actually submerge the hands in the vinegar or set in a tupperware and let it evaporate up to the hands?
                      The latter. I soaked a folded up sheet of kitchen roll in vinegar, microwaved it for a minute, put it in a large Tupperware container, and poured a load of salt onto it. Then I stood the hands (on cocktail sticks, stuck in blu-tack) on top of the steaming vinegar and salt laden folded sheet. I put the lid on and left it for about a day and a half.

Comment

Thank you! Did it have any aging affect on the lumen? Would you recommend scraping the lume off prior to aging and reapply after the vinegar bath?

Comment

Thank you! Did it have any aging affect on the lumen? Would you recommend scraping the lume off prior to aging and reapply after the vinegar bath?
                          Hey Holla. Yes, it sure did have an effect on the lume! Take a look at the macro close-ups of the hands, above. There's lots of pitting and bubbling of the lume that wasn't there before the process. Now, although I have no idea whether lume ever gets in this state in reality, I really like it - so I'm leaving the hands as they are. But if you want to avoid it, then yes - remove the lume before doing the salt 'n' vinegar treatment, and then apply it afterwards.

BTW, I will avoid using the term "vinegar bath" as that gives the impression that the hands are immersed, which they're not - they just get wafted with caustic fumes!

Comment

That's awesome, thank you n0bby. I'm going to try that this week once my watch gets in. I think I might throw an old dial in with the hands to see what the vinegar does to that too.

Comment

I think I might throw an old dial in with the hands to see what the vinegar does to that too.
                              That'll be really very interesting to see... Please post some pics!

Comment

n0bby Great job! Looks stellar.

P.S. Can you provide some suggestions on how to chamfer the edges? I'm looking to do the same, but have been nervous about it. Pictures would help. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X