• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hytrel bezel retaining rings

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Here are some pics of the aftermarket gasket with measurements. It's interesting that the height is the same as the new ARF V3 and ZZF, but as you can see the width and the shape are different.

iKP31.jpg

iKlrK.jpg

iKuLb.jpg

iKMSi.jpg

iKTyj.jpg

iKp7v.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Swiss Crown

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
That shape really is odd! Considering neither gen or rep use a T profile gasket i do wonder why they have gone down that route...

Complete

Renowned Member
18/10/17
b7289a1511a5470f702acd6622902787.jpg
40c6c302b49d0e6e90fc1252fab8a6eb.jpg

Here’s an assembly view of the metal crystal retainer (red part) and the white hytrel bezel gasket (blue part). The blue part fits into the groove cut on the inner diameter of the bezel. It then rides on the outer diameter of the metal crystal retainer (red part) This is for the noob v6s 116610 sub.

The red retainer is actually tapered on the inner diameter so that it is pressed down further onto the case, it compresses the crystal gasket and makes a seal. Mine is actually looser than it should be and every time I take off the bezel the crystal comes with it.

Last edited:

Complete

Renowned Member
18/10/17
Unless I have the bezel gasket upside down? Anyone know which way it is truely supposed to be?

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Im pretty sure thats the right way up, given that the empty space under the flange on the gasket will be filled with the metal of the bezel. On a gmt, with the extra step on the retaining ring (the 12 indented click spring seating indents) its possible its upside down compared to a sub. Ill let you know when the parting tool arrives and i can finish my first attempt. Its been a long day and my initial “they will be about £10” was way off! 4 hours of machining and £15 of material in and i still dont have a working one... there should be a good 5-10 from this piece of material but without a parting tool i wont know if they work until Wednesday.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Unless I have the bezel gasket upside down? Anyone know which way it is truely supposed to be?

The Noob V9 gasket goes in "bottom step" down, opposite of how you have it. It will fit and the bezel will seat like you have it but it will not rotate. The ARF (V2 and earlier) goes in like your depiction.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
That shape really is odd! Considering neither gen or rep use a T profile gasket i do wonder why they have gone down that route...

Agree it's an odd shape. Maybe an attempt to "cover all bases" and accommodate a fit of either orientation.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
The Noob V9 gasket goes in "bottom step" down, opposite of how you have it. It will fit and the bezel will seat like you have it but it will not rotate. The ARF (V2 and earlier) goes in like your depiction.

Is the groove in the bezel just higher up on gmts then? Theres a decent sized step at the bottom of the retaining ring that differentiates it from the normal sub style.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
So as an update, its just not possible to turn these little rings. The material is too soft and flexible to stand up to being parted off. Even using a scalpel blade, its just a no goer. Sorry to get peoples hopes up and thanks to those who have contributed. If anyone ever finds a replacement source please post it here.

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
So as an update, its just not possible to turn these little rings. The material is too soft and flexible to stand up to being parted off. Even using a scalpel blade, its just a no goer. Sorry to get peoples hopes up and thanks to those who have contributed. If anyone ever finds a replacement source please post it here.

You never know til you try bro, thanks for the effort. I know this has been done with a 3D printer. I don't have one or a CAD file but it seems that someone could do this and if the gaskets work, could easily sell hundreds or more on ebay, etc. at a profit. If ever there was a niche product screaming for an entrepreneur, this is it.

There are some differences among rep gasket shapes and sizes so maybe a few different ones would have to be made. But I think making a new one from gen specs would be a great place to start. It's almost enough to make me go buy a 3D printer but alas my project list is months long already.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Yeah i think the only way to make them is with a 3d printer or molding. Can you get a teflon like material for use in a printer? Most of my experience with 3d printing is a harder plastic.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Probably just regular nylon would be best at a glance?

Yeah I think so. You can actually use fishline in a rep bezel which is nylon. Like I did on the Noob Pepsi repair. The poor bezel design on the Noob Pepsi lent itself well to trying out different diameters of fishline because I could just reach right in and poke it out if it was too big. With a proper bezel groove, you have to actually seat the bezel with the fishline installed and if it's too big the bezel won't rotate and you play hell trying to get it off again. It was then that I discovered the melting point of nylon and saw that it was used in 3D printers. If you don't want to be stuck with a non-rotating bezel you can remove the crystal and all O rings and gaskets and bake your watch at 525 F for about 15 minutes. The nylon will shrink and blacken then become brittle so you can get the bezel off easily and try again. Make sure the wife's not home it stinks a little, haha.

For those who haven't seen my post about the Noob Pepsi

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...193-noob’s-new-gmt-bezels-are-poorly-designed

Reactions: Dr Fun Socks

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
I cant say I've ever used the oven to repair a watch before but its good to know haha! It would be interesting to try and use a shape memory alloy for the bezel gasket, if you can set it be larger when heated and to shrink to the correct size fitted when at room temperature. I know thats a whole chemistry experiment in its self but i like to think outside the box :)

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I've used them for a couple VRF VR3135 submariners and they work fine

Interesting, and good to know. I would call this an exception among rep bezels, as the VRF bezel is known to be somewhat nonstandard.

Li from Jtimewatch abandoned even trying to fit one with a CF insert due to its nonstandard shape.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...d-insert-for-116610ln-vs-gen-arf-noob-and-vrf

"I am sorry to tell that Clean Factory bezel can not fit on VRF, because the structure is not same.
So we gonna pass VRF out then."

Here's another related post

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...083-vrf-batman-released?p=8549776#post8549776

Reactions: Bigcity777

Mav2000

10/1/19
Interesting, and good to know. I would call this an exception among rep bezels, as the VRF bezel is known to be somewhat nonstandard.

Li from Jtimewatch abandoned even trying to fit one with a CF insert due to its nonstandard shape.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...d-insert-for-116610ln-vs-gen-arf-noob-and-vrf

"I am sorry to tell that Clean Factory bezel can not fit on VRF, because the structure is not same.
So we gonna pass VRF out then."

Here's another related post

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...083-vrf-batman-released?p=8549776#post8549776

Where di you even find that aftermarket bezel gasket...desperately searching for one.

mascob1

6/11/16
If someone can have technical draw or dimensions with good tolerances, I can machining it...I really want to make a new try since I made it for @spatiomtemporis...