• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hytrel bezel retaining rings

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
So from a bit of research it turns out its bloody hard to buy replacement bezel retaining rings. I need one for one of my watches so I’m going to order some material and turn one up on the lathe, i was just wondering if anyone else needs any? Obviously i need you to tell me the size you need (i know the standard sub/gmt size, thats what I'm making for myself). If a lot of people are in need ill order a longer length of bar, if its just for me ill stick to the shortest length possible. Its possible to make any size and thickness, i know the gen on a sub is a slightly different size. Could even be possible to put a step in it for a gen bezel, mounted on a rep retaining ring.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Are you talking about a crystal retaining ring bro? The hytrel ring is the white plastic bezel gasket. The crystal retaining ring on a 6 digit GMT has the scallops in it so they are not really interchangeable with a Sub. This is a great project, nice to have a lathe and skills!

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Nah im on about the thin ring that goes inside the bezel and clips into the crystal retaining ring. Machining crystal gaskets would be very hard indeed. I cant but hytrel as a bar but its basically teflon which i can get. Didnt know it would be so hard to get a little ring of plastic! I know some people are using fishing line as a replacement but why not just make the proper part if you can :)

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Oh, excellent then - those hytrel bezel gaskets are indeed a high demand commodity. In fact if you can make usable ones, I'd say you could sell them a price that members would happily pay and net you some profit for your labors. I would take some just to have on hand. I am extremely careful with mine and still have had to cut a mangled piece out or use a substitute. This is BIG if you can replicate these!

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Yeah its strange you cant buy them. Ill order a foot of the material then, shouldn't need more than about 3-4mm per ring (parting off tools are quite wide) and see how it goes. Im not looking to get rich off them, i think more than £10 a piece is highway robbery so we’ll see how it goes and how long they take to machine. Its a lot of boring!

VaderTime

9/10/17
If this works, I’ll take some as well!! They are impossible to get with the correct size and the upside down “L” step. Not sure why the factories won’t sell them as spare parts...

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
If this works, I’ll take some as well!! They are impossible to get with the correct size and the upside down “L” step. Not sure why the factories won’t sell them as spare parts...

If you can give me sizes of the parts you need i can make them mate. After many years as a tool maker im finally making something useful :p

Reactions: sn95

VaderTime

9/10/17
If you can give me sizes of the parts you need i can make them mate. After many years as a tool maker im finally making something useful :p

That’s a great thing as I am not helpful at all lol. I’m still too new in the game and can only absorb information at this point lol. I don’t have a particular size, just your standard Sub 6 digit size.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
That’s a great thing as I am not helpful at all lol. I’m still too new in the game and can only absorb information at this point lol. I don’t have a particular size, just your standard Sub 6 digit size.

No worries mate i have a feeling that will be what most people want haha! Ill let you know when I've made and tested a few and I'm happy to put them out :)

Reactions: KJ2020

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
You can probably get them from people like our own sub007 and others on trf

Last edited:

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
Palm Beach
Count me in for at least two. One for a 40mm Sea-Dweller Ceramic and one for a 43mm Sea-Dweller.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Count me in for at least two. One for a 40mm Sea-Dweller Ceramic and one for a 43mm Sea-Dweller.

Do you happen to know sizing on these? I can measure it on watches i have but anything bigger than a sub from rolex just feels odd on my wrist so i haven't got any. Ideally i just need to know the biggest diameter from the range (probably the dssd) so i can order bar stock big enough to accommodate it.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
You can probably get them from people like our own sub007 and others on trf

Would these not be gen though? Im no expert but from the research ive done it appears:
A. The gen ring is a different thickness to the rep
B. If you only have rep parts, there are no rep rings available even from td’s
C. There almost certainly isn't a ring designed to fit a gen bezel to a rep retaining ring.

Im happy to be corrected on any of these but i couldn’t even find a gen part for sale, not that it would of fit my full rep setup!

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
Would these not be gen though? Im no expert but from the research ive done it appears:
A. The gen ring is a different thickness to the rep
B. If you only have rep parts, there are no rep rings available even from td’s
C. There almost certainly isn't a ring designed to fit a gen bezel to a rep retaining ring.

Im happy to be corrected on any of these but i couldn’t even find a gen part for sale, not that it would of fit my full rep setup!

Yes gen .they come in rolex blister packs.i used to be able to source them.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Yes gen .they come in rolex blister packs.i used to be able to source them.

Any idea roughly what they were costing? Im guessing a lot more than £10 knowing rolex...

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
Any idea roughly what they were costing? Im guessing a lot more than £10 knowing rolex...

Bro I cant really remember. Maybe you can go over my thread history and see all my sales .then you should be able to see how much I was selling them for?,it was not too much money I know that much

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Bro I cant really remember. Maybe you can go over my thread history and see all my sales .then you should be able to see how much I was selling them for?,it was not too much money I know that much

I just use the mobile browser, even using the search feature is ambitious haha! Well those who prefer gen and can source it, go for it! Im just looking to offer options to those, like my self, who needs bits they cant get!