• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

JKF Vintage Daytonas are nice!

RedRallye

Horology Curious
13/5/20
Hi Everyone
I'm Iain based in the UK.
This has been a really interesting read. Thanks to all those that have contributed to it.

Can anyone confirm if the 7750 cartel/JKF have asymmetrical pushers? I've been looking at a silver dial 6263 with acrylic bezel, but have got to thinking they are symmetrical.
I might have to go with the cartier V75 as the pushers definitely look asymmetrical on that - unless I can find a non-cartier silver dial version? (I've been looking on Andrew's site for a potential purchase.)

If anyone can give me any insight on that before I pop for one that would be much appreciated. Alternatively if anyone in UK/Europe is looking to sell one that fits the bill, I'm all ears.
Regards

I'll answer my own question here as Andrew has replied to me to confirm that only the V75 movements have the asymmetrical pushers. It didn't strike me before as I have an old 6239 rep with a 7750 modified to hand-wind and the pushers on that are asymmetrical. All the Chronos work on that too.

I'm guessing now the V75 has the fixed hour sub-dial hand then?

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
I'm guessing now the V75 has the fixed hour sub-dial hand then?
You can choose if you want it as a fixed hand or in tandem with the hour hand. I chose the former as I never use my chrono function for counting hours, plus it is a dead giveaway. Unlike wearing a million dollar watch on the wrist I guess.

RedRallye

Horology Curious
13/5/20
You can choose if you want it as a fixed hand or in tandem with the hour hand. I chose the former as I never use my chrono function for counting hours, plus it is a dead giveaway. Unlike wearing a million dollar watch on the wrist I guess.

Thanks for your response; when you say you can choose are you referring to the way you might modify one, or is there a choice for new purchases? (I haven't noticed a distinction on the new ones)
Cheers

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
Thanks for your response; when you say you can choose are you referring to the way you might modify one, or is there a choice for new purchases? (I haven't noticed a distinction on the new ones)
Cheers

If you check Mr. Newman's Daytona on ts watch you will see a button where you can "select an attribute." You van chooae the options I mentioned. As TS Watch is not a TD I woild recommend that you copy the link of whatever watch you want and send it to a TD of choice, or of coirse PM Marv and tell him what you want. In fact Marv also mentions it in his post

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

Lovegmt73

7/3/20
546655b05229078e178537265bbcd40a.jpg

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

thediesel17

Iron Man
7/7/19
question that bothers me for some time now as this thread alone exhibits quite the divergence of views ...
  • are these JKFs good to rock ootb or do they need some modding to be something that can be worn extensively? what would that be then?
  • also: has anyone tried gold versions of those? does the plating flake fast?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
are these JKFs good to rock ootb or do they need some modding to be something that can be worn extensively? what would that be then?
That's not really possible to answer in a generalised way. Some people would find the watches absolutely fine to wear OOTB. Others will want to make changes to their watch to increase how close to gen they look. However, the "getting it close to gen" quest is one that can consume a tremendous amount of time and money.

Also, it depends on which variation of the Daytona you go for. Some of them look more gen-like from the get-go. For instance, the "Paul Newman" dial Daytona is probably one of the least gen-like OOTB. (And it really irritates me how often the term "Paul Newman Daytona" gets used incorrectly... even being attributed to 6 digit Daytonas, FFS...)

thediesel17

Iron Man
7/7/19
That's not really possible to answer in a generalised way. Some people would find the watches absolutely fine to wear OOTB. Others will want to make changes to their watch to increase how close to gen they look. However, the "getting it close to gen" quest is one that can consume a tremendous amount of time and money.

Also, it depends on which variation of the Daytona you go for. Some of them look more gen-like from the get-go. For instance, the "Paul Newman" dial Daytona is probably one of the least gen-like OOTB. (And it really irritates me how often the term "Paul Newman Daytona" gets used incorrectly... even being attributed to 6 digit Daytonas, FFS...)

thanks.
So, if I read between the lines correctly, all desirable mods aim at improving the visual appearance rather than the haptics or functionalities?
Consequentially, if I just really like the look of those vintage daytonas (not a paul newman dial fan anyway) these JKFs should be quite a good deal haptic-wise?

Any comment on the gold version with regards to plating?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
thediesel17 Yes - from a touch, feel and functional perspective they shouldn't disappoint. They're manual wind, the wind and hand setting all feels fine, as do the pushers. I've never owned a watch with a gen Valjoux so can't comment on how it compares, but the JK has the feel of a "vintage" watch. As with any chrono watch, I always try to avoid using the chrono function too often, if at all.

I don't have a gold-plated cartel watch (yet), so I can't offer any comment other than - it's probably as good as any other rep "gold" plating...

RiffRalf

Renowned Member
10/7/19
USA
question that bothers me for some time now as this thread alone exhibits quite the divergence of views ...
  • are these JKFs good to rock ootb or do they need some modding to be something that can be worn extensively? what would that be then?

• only you can answer that. For $200 plus shipping you get a cute little watch - yes they are little- that keeps good time, has a chrono and looks like theRolexes from the 60s and 70s. It van be worn extensively until it dies at which time you van decide to get a movement and put it un or have a modder do that for you, put it up for sale on m2m or just throw it away and order another one.
    Or just get a Citizen.

Personally I like to see how modders uograde these but I don't have the inclination to spend the money, time and energy to do that. . So for me these great OOTB. If it's good enough for KJ2020 it's good enough for me!

[*]also: has anyone tried gold versions of those? does the plating flake fast?

I would do KJ2020's cellphone protective patch. Or avoid any kind of desk jockey scuffing

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
The 6239 from Marv arrived yesterday. As discussed at length in this thread, the latest JKF incarnation of the PN dial is quite a way off. I'm not a fan - but some other folk might be happy with it. Here's my 3 PN variants lined up:

P7Jkb.jpg

I think my preference is for the middle 6239, then the 6263 on the left. The subdials on the righthand (new) 6239 look so small, and float awkwardly on the dial. I think it's set to be the candidate for conversion, using the VN dial...

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
I think we look at the price and think it's a bargain but in reality it's priced about right. If you take them apart, there's not much to them really...the bezel and crystal are glued on, the finish is ok but the dials aren't great, the hands are a little inaccurate.

At that price, they are nice watches, but at less than a third of the price of a 6 digit noob, they are less a third of the quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
One great thing about these reps is the movement. They are $100 on sale, so that goes s long way toward toward making these a good bargain to wear OOTB. Should provide several years of hassle free use, and a functional chrono that isn't a timebomb like the A7750.

http://www.alpha-watch.com/details.php?myid=861

FragileExpressHP

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/12/18
i did get a piece a while back. Hasn't seen any wrist time because i'm not sure how to sort out the hollow end link issue. The hollow end links rattle a lot. After some googling, i do realize that it's an issue for gen pieces as well. Anyone have any mod solutions for this? I ordered a rafflestime rivet to see if its any better. I'd rather not go yuki if possible.

Therion666

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
26/12/13
Old gens feel like crap too, especially if you're used to modern high end watches. So there's not much you can do.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
i did get a piece a while back. Hasn't seen any wrist time because i'm not sure how to sort out the hollow end link issue. The hollow end links rattle a lot. After some googling, i do realize that it's an issue for gen pieces as well. Anyone have any mod solutions for this? I ordered a rafflestime rivet to see if its any better. I'd rather not go yuki if possible.

This is part of their charm! As others have said, it’s a gen-like “feature”. :)
You could try some slightly fatter 1.8mm springbars to hold the end links more firmly in place, maybe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Xky

Known Member
13/9/19
Hi gang,

I've always liked the vintage Daytonas but many of the reps are well, not so great. Recently I discovered JKF models and I have to say I'm quite pleased.

Our own TD Marvelous Replicas MReplicasupplied me with this one in a quick, flawless transaction that will have me coming back for more. The best part is this rep cost a very affordable $200 and has the wonderful reliable hand wind chrono ST19 movement aka Venus 75. The one I got this time is a pre-Daytona chronograph. I absolutely love this piece! The bracelet fits the watch head well and is not very rattly at all and the clasp has smoothed corners, wow! This is the first rep in a long time that I'm not going to have to do ANYTHING to it but wear it. Holy cow!

15770580697700.jpg

15770581929414.jpg

15770581810151.jpg

15770581810963.jpg

15770581810562.jpg

Here's a link to the Marvelous Replica post about these great reps. Be sure to click on 'More images' in the image link to see them all.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...39-6241-series

There are more of these to see at NON TD TSWATCH.

https://www.ts-stations.cn/mobile/pr...php?CateId=867

Some are A7750, which are 1mm thicker. I recommend the hand wind ST19s. The 6 o'clock subdial is frozen (no bleeding). I could do with at least two or three more of these!

Is this a marvel of beauty or what?

6.jpg

Hi KJ, is there any chance you could send me a link to the exact SS Daytona model please?