• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

JKF Vintage Daytonas are nice!

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
Palm Beach
This is my first vintage rep piece, I’ve had a couple low end Gen vintage.

so it made sense starting with something more budget friendly, my main aim with sending it to trip was to try make it look legitimately vintage but well looked after. I know these cheap reps are flawed in the details.

I Think he’s done a very nice job with what I wanted.

Softened the case and rebrushed
Added patina to hands and lume plots
Gave the dial a tropical sepia hue
Slimmed mid case and bezel ring
new xtal

Watch is 13.5mm now
He said the Gen was 13.4mm albeit slightly different in proportion

IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200210/a3fdcc8390239be7ce2a089794affe22.jpg[/IMG]
0943d0fdbf811ec15c905fed41f07497.jpg
89a183bea40a6461bc761d4910d9250a.jpg
c33546a43cf0baf1770e68e3a890de25.jpg
b92438e45272eb80dada341ad84570de.jpg
1ee9d611342a04b7510447e52d57737d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That came out beautifully.

Reactions: stufuse

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I'm not a fan of Daytonas, and the Pre-Daytona as it arrived is not a watch I would have worn. After some work however it's not a bad looking watch - I'd happily wear it.

Case back was slimmed by 1 mm, the case itself was slimmed by 0.4 mm and the case sides reshaped. The bezel ring was reprofiled and a slightly lower profile custom crystal fitted - I couldn't find anything that had the exact same dimensions as the one fitted to the watch so I reshaped one on the lathe - the original one was glued in place so unusable once removed.

End result is total height from 15 mm to 13.5 mm, it sits much better on the wrist now, and generally looks more convincing as a 60 year old watch.

A few more pics before it gets shipped off:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
I'm not a fan of Daytonas, and the Pre-Daytona as it arrived is not a watch I would have worn. After some work however it's not a bad looking watch - I'd happily wear it.

Case back was slimmed by 1 mm, the case itself was slimmed by 0.4 mm and the case sides reshaped. The bezel ring was reprofiled and a slightly lower profile custom crystal fitted - I couldn't find anything that had the exact same dimensions as the one fitted to the watch so I reshaped one on the lathe - the original one was glued in place so unusable once removed.

End result is total height from 15 mm to 13.5 mm, it sits much better on the wrist now, and generally looks more convincing as a 60 year old watch.

Thats gorgeous Trip!

Reactions: tripdog

cheld

Renowned Member
Supporter
7/3/18
Now the factories just need to start slapping 7205s on these bad boys instead of anachronistic 5-digit bracelets.

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
Lovely. Mine will head your way soon trip, just waiting for a clark's crystal to arrive and for me to get back from Sweden

Reactions: stufuse and tripdog

stufuse

22/10/17
UK

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for more pics Trip.

You literally captured that vintage look of the Gens I had seen perfectly. I wasn’t much of a daytona fan either and I agree I wouldn’t have worn it as it was. I could have easily flipped it, but I’m Glad I sent it over. Can’t wait to get it here!

Last edited:
Reactions: ssouthall6

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15

Thanks for more pics Trip.

You literally captured that vintage look of the Gens I had seen perfectly. I wasn’t much of a daytona fan either and I agree I wouldn’t have worn it as it was. I could have easily flipped it, but I’m Glad I sent it over. Can’t wait to get it here!

you can still easily flip it and i will easily take it

Reactions: stufuse and KJ2020

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
Now I’m looking forward to seeing @Southall s one

Reactions: ssouthall6

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
Hey guys,

Thought I’d try here first, do any of you who have the 6283 in EU want to let it go?

I’d like to buy another one. I will order from Marv if I have to, but as you know I imagine the wait will be quite long due to everything going on.

Shout me in PM

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Just a FYI in this thread.

I emailed M at Marvellous Replica yesterday - enquired after their good health (they're fine) and asked to buy a JKF 6263 (as I've just bought a nice Vietnam PN dial M2M so I can have a go at a half-decent PN 'tona). He told me that JKF is still closed due to Corona, and if it was okay he'd let me know once they're open again and can fulfil orders.

So unless you find someone selling in your part of the world or another TD that had any spare stock, it'll be "some time" before we're getting vintage Roley's out of JK Factory.

freshvein85

Looking Around
4/2/19
I will be selling my marvellous pre Daytona UK only once I can get my post count up if anyone is interested

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Ah, freshvein85 - your post reminds me I meant to post an update here regarding JKF. I got an email on Sunday from M at Marvellous Rep to let me know JKF are back at work. So, I've paid for a 6263 PN and am just waiting for the QC pics.

ssouthall6

10/10/13
I'm selling mine too, sadly there were difficulties getting the stem out so I'll be selling it to fund another.

One for those who are happy 'as is'

erudite

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/11/18

Hey guys, can anyone point out the flaws on these two Daytona's?

Is there one that marvellous sells that is considered to be better than the others in terms of having fewer flaws? I'm not at all well versed in vintage Daytona's. I've been trying to compare them against gens but am struggling.

ssouthall6

10/10/13

Is there one that marvellous sells that is considered to be better than the others in terms of having fewer flaws? I'm not at all well versed in vintage Daytona's. I've been trying to compare them against gens but am struggling.

If you're asking for design flaws rather than QC flaws, which I think you are, then I would avoid worrying about accuracy.

The cartel as a base watch is a nice replication made even nicer as nobody will know the watch very well.

Reactions: KJ2020

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK

The models you linked have incorrectly positioned subdials that bleed into the outer chapter ring print. This is due to the pinion positions of the movement. It’s more obvious on these classic PN dial watches. If you compare them with gen, you’ll see how there’s a small and consistent gap between the edge of the subdials and the chapter ring. For me, it’s a flaw I really don’t like, so I’ve got a Vietnam dial ready to replace the JK dial when I get mine. It’ll mean I have to reposition the subdial pinions, but that’s all part of the fun...