• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rep Rolex GMT movements explained

Efigy

Horology Curious
26/1/21
Before proceeding any further, you should open the back of your case and determine which movement you actually have. GMF used 3 different movements in their GMT V3.

You can post a pic of an unblocked view of the balance assembly here if you need help in ID.

See post #4

GMF released true clone 3285
Will do, I'll head over to my watch doc and have him remove the back. I'll get a pic up later today. Thanks!!!

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Here are the pics of the movement:
OK, that's definitely a GMF SA3285 so you can proceed with a VR3185/6 replacement. Don't worry about the wrong engraving, although VR has started to engrave some with 3285 (the C+ factory Pepsi has them). You will have to swap the VR stem onto the crown, The SA stem is not compatible with the VR movement.

jpjr5P.jpg

You can look on Ali Express for the movement, I use vendor OULIGUAN a lot. The first gen VR (which we called VR3185) is cheaper and I actually prefer it because you have better access to, and greater movement range on the regulator arms.

Or for faster receipt of one you can ask awesome member @thrillofhunt if he has any for sale.

jpI4WP.jpg

Reactions: AG91 and dogwood

Efigy

Horology Curious
26/1/21
OK, that's definitely a GMF SA3285 so you can proceed with a VR3185/6 replacement. Don't worry about the wrong engraving, although VR has started to engrave some with 3285 (the C+ factory Pepsi has them). You will have to swap the VR stem onto the crown, The SA stem is not compatible with the VR movement.

jpjr5P.jpg

You can look on Ali Express for the movement, I use vendor OULIGUAN a lot. The first gen VR (which we called VR3185) is cheaper and I actually prefer it because you have better access to, and greater movement range on the regulator arms.

Or for faster receipt of one you can ask awesome member @thrillofhunt if he has any for sale.

jpI4WP.jpg
Thank you so much, I will do that!

Timmer

Known Member
Patron
Certified
17/1/22
No, just remove the crown off of your old movement stem, and install it on the stem that comes with the new movement.

Timmer

Known Member
Patron
Certified
17/1/22
Meant to add - it just unscrews. You most likely will need to cut the new stem to fit your case / new movement.

Mawcul

Horology Curious
14/3/22
Philadelphia
Great comments! Besides the internal position of the regulator lever and stud arm on the VR3186, are there any other differences between the VR3185 and VR3186? Do both of these movements accept gen Rolex parts?

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Great comments! Besides the internal position of the regulator lever and stud arm on the VR3186, are there any other differences between the VR3185 and VR3186? Do both of these movements accept gen Rolex parts?
There are no other differences. I prefer the 3185 version for easier regulating.
VRs will take a genuine auto wind and a few other parts but not a balance without changing a jewel. Nik is the onl watchmaker I know who successfully installed a gen balance in a VR.

Reactions: AG91

Mawcul

Horology Curious
14/3/22
Philadelphia
There are no other differences. I prefer the 3185 version for easier regulating.
VRs will take a genuine auto wind and a few other parts but not a balance without changing a jewel. Nik is the onl watchmaker I know who successfully installed a gen balance in a VR.
Makes sense. Does VR make a true 3285 yet? And is there any difference in the direction the hands move when turning the crown in position 2 and position 3 (hour hand, time) between 3185/6 and 3285?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Makes sense. Does VR make a true 3285 yet? And is there any difference in the direction the hands move when turning the crown in position 2 and position 3 (hour hand, time) between 3185/6 and 3285?
There is no VR3285 out yet that we are aware of on the forum. The C+ Pepsi has a VR3186 that is engraved 3285. These fake engravings will undoubtedly be seen in other models from other factories soon.

3185/6: fwd crown = fwd hands (both stem positions)

3285: fwd crown = backward hands (both stem positions)

Floradays

Horology Curious
21/1/22
Hope no one minds that i cross-post my issue with the VR3185/6 here as I think it's more a technical than a factory specific question (initially posted this in the CF Batman thread):

I bought my CF GMT in July and had it fully serviced upfront (and lightly frankened) by @Nikz19 (great guy, highly recommend!).

Since receiving it, I wear it approx. five times a week (office activities only) and it kept and still keeps good time. I have not tested the power reserve, but it seems more than appropriate (no need to wind it during the week, when I stop wearing it Friday evening, it stops at some point at Sunday).

However, few days ago, the movement (no, it is not the bracelet or the links) started making clicking/rattling noises when shaking the watch. It also got worse during the last days. I tried to catch it on a video, but it is significantly louder in real life and is also already caused by normal walking movements. https://imgur.com/a/HJZmHrE None of my other current watches (CF Daytona, GMF Datejust, GEN IWC Portuguese Chronograph) is making such clicking noises.

I have no watchsmith knowledge at all, but after research I assume that the oscillating weight has too much play and hits the case/movement (damaged rotor axle?). Is this issue slowly destroying the movement so that I should send it to @Nikz19 asking to cover that under his 1 year warranty? Or can I just learn to live with it (or at least try :D ) and have it fixed in a few years when service is due anyways?

Thanks and regards

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
Hope no one minds that i cross-post my issue with the VR3185/6 here as I think it's more a technical than a factory specific question (initially posted this in the CF Batman thread):

I bought my CF GMT in July and had it fully serviced upfront (and lightly frankened) by @Nikz19 (great guy, highly recommend!).

Since receiving it, I wear it approx. five times a week (office activities only) and it kept and still keeps good time. I have not tested the power reserve, but it seems more than appropriate (no need to wind it during the week, when I stop wearing it Friday evening, it stops at some point at Sunday).

However, few days ago, the movement (no, it is not the bracelet or the links) started making clicking/rattling noises when shaking the watch. It also got worse during the last days. I tried to catch it on a video, but it is significantly louder in real life and is also already caused by normal walking movements. https://imgur.com/a/HJZmHrE None of my other current watches (CF Daytona, GMF Datejust, GEN IWC Portuguese Chronograph) is making such clicking noises.

I have no watchsmith knowledge at all, but after research I assume that the oscillating weight has too much play and hits the case/movement (damaged rotor axle?). Is this issue slowly destroying the movement so that I should send it to @Nikz19 asking to cover that under his 1 year warranty? Or can I just learn to live with it (or at least try :D ) and have it fixed in a few years when service is due anyways?

Thanks and regards
Yes it’s probably the rotor. It’s a very easy fix (assuming it’s the rotor). The retaining clip on the rotor arbor has probably popped out. Any local watchsmith should be able to fix this. Or you should be able to do so (assuming you don’t have two left hands). Simply open the caseback, slide the rotor retaining clip out, reseat the rotor, and slide the retaining clip back into place. You’ll need a tool (or ball) to open the caseback, and a set of pointy tweezers or a 1mm metal probe to manipulate the retaining clip/slider.

peter4103

1/7/17
European Union
Last edited: