• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Got the call from the AD today

Timeseetime

Horology Curious
17/9/19
Hello all - I've been on this sub for a few months and have become really interested in this hobby. After being told there was a 5 year wait, I put my name in for a Sub date at my local AD. Much to my surprise I got the call today after only two months. Unfortunately, I just placed and order with BK for a Noob sub date last week! Also, I bought a used Tudor GMT pepsi rep which I absolutely love. TBH, I am not sure the Sub date is my grail watch anymore. I really like some others including the Pepsi GMT Tudor and Rolex.

My question is this: If I go ahead and buy the watch how difficult would it be realistically to resale if I decided I didn't want it and for how much (cost at AD $8550...$9287 after tax)? I know the gray market is strong but I am new to this and have zero experience in this area. I've been given 24 hours to decide. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Timeseetime

Horology Curious
17/9/19
After a little research I found a local used dealer who offered me $9300 for it.....so no room for arbitrage there. Would have to sell to an individual (unlikely since I have no prior sales history) or pick it up today and pass it on to my son someday....which was my original intention.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Take a look at Bob's watches in CA. You can sell the watch to him. You have to send it to him for appraisal but you should be able to see what that model is worth to him and how much they are selling for. There are other ways to sell it of course like Chrono24 and Ebay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Timeseetime

thrillofhunt

Put Some Respect On My Name
Gold Patron
Certified
8/2/11
I think you should get it and keep it. Gen will always be gen, no matter how much you love your rep.

Timeseetime

Horology Curious
17/9/19
Bobs watch offered me $8200....maybe the market isn't as strong as I thought for this watch.

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
Bobs watch offered me $8200....maybe the market isn't as strong as I thought for this watch.

A dealer is never going to buy a watch from you at normal market rate. But if you get it from your ad and hang onto it chances are it’s value will increase with years, possibly to a point that if did trade, it’ll be worth what you paid or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timeseetime

Horology Curious
17/9/19
They said they have too many Subs in stock....this supports what was said in a recent youtube video by Bark and Jack about the 6 digit steel sports model Rolex market softening. Could be true....we will see. I suspect that is why my name came up so quick....many on the AD list were probably looking to resale to the gray market. Thanks for the input I will let you know what I decide.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Bob's will still give several thousands above RRP for Hulks and Pepsis as their resale price is in line with grey market pricing.

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
I would get it. Imo a rep is never gonna be a replacement for a Gen. A sub is a good all round watch that you can enjoy for generations, a rep is not. Its a toy.

Reactions: stufuse and KJ2020

reptime101

15/9/18
Get a ZZF and save the extra $ for a tesla cybertruck :)

Last edited:

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Keep the gen - would be a no brainer for me. BK will probably refund you - its not like he’s not going to sell a sub.

Last edited:

fredl187

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
17/5/14
Buy the gen - keep it ( pass it to your son ) I never bought a gen sport Rolex and had a loss - never ! And I had and have one or the other....

Reactions: lolo1972sg

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/7/15
Buy the gen sub at retail and not an overpriced noob from BK with a list of mods he may or may not have carried out on your particular watch....the noob will fall apart in 5 years or most likely a lot less, the gen will last forever

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Buy the gen sub at retail and not an overpriced noob from BK with a list of mods he may or may not have carried out on your particular watch....the noob will fall apart in 5 years or most likely a lot less, the gen will last forever

What is OP has less than 5 years to live?

Timeseetime

Horology Curious
17/9/19
I am aware that I am paying a premium for a rep sub from BK. I'd rather avoid hassling with China, so I choose to use a third party based in the US and its worth the extra for me. The main reason I was getting the BK sub was to test it out and see if I was really ready to invest in that particular gen watch. Was also planning on testing the waters on a few other reps over the course of the next year but that timeline got expedited. All solid advice above, thanks for the input......and I'm pretty sure i'll make another 5 years....and maybe another fifty I'm not THAT old!

Timeseetime

Horology Curious
17/9/19
4f0bffad1386f63e22699a83f6e54129.jpg

Did I mention that I am really impressed with this Tudor?

extremecoolness

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/9/19
They said they have too many Subs in stock....this supports what was said in a recent youtube video by Bark and Jack about the 6 digit steel sports model Rolex market softening. Could be true....we will see. I suspect that is why my name came up so quick....many on the AD list were probably looking to resale to the gray market. Thanks for the input I will let you know what I decide.

Just curious, what geographical market are you? I sense it may be rural. Everywhere I go they laughed at me, so replica it was.

Timeseetime

Horology Curious
17/9/19
I live in the Midwest.... not rural but admittedly gonna be less demand here even in a bigger city.