• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Need assistance in verifying if Rep or Gen GMT

Applicator

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/10/19
Good evening folks. My friend reached out to me 3 days ago because he is about to make a trade for a supposedly gen rolex. I did tell him that I myself recently started going for reps and he was concerned on how good actual reps look so he is concerned if what he is trading for is a Rep or a Gen rolex. I told him that I would reach out in the forums to see if there are any experts who can chime in. Is there any advice I could provide him to decrease the chances of being scammed?

This is the album of the images he was given. https://ibb.co/album/mLi6bF

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
The best advice you can give him is to buy from reputed sources and use safety mechanisms such as trusted checkout on Chrono 24. Unless you can go with the seller to a Rolex AD to authenticate the watch you'll never be sure if the watch is not going to be a rep. Even if you get nice pics of a gen there's no certainty that you receive the watch that's on the pictures. It may be a little more expensive this way but it's much safer.

Reactions: Warrcraft

Applicator

13/10/19
I don't think he is buying it. He's doing a trade from another hobby for the watch. He said he normally goes to an AD and they offer authentication services for a price but I'm clueless about that because I don't have any gen. What are do you think about the images he was given?

Tobel

6/7/17
I don't think he is buying it. He's doing a trade from another hobby for the watch. He said he normally goes to an AD and they offer authentication services for a price but I'm clueless about that because I don't have any gen. What are do you think about the images he was given?

Honestly I don't know, I'm no expert of this model, and to be sure it'd be better to have additional pics of the dial, hands, insert and ideally movement. But as I said even if the pics are from a gen, how does he know that he'll receive the watch that's on the pictures and not a rep?

Last edited:

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
There are some things that catch my eye. I’m not expert on the 5 digits but the dial doesn’t look good, especially the indices. They’re too white and the silver rim around the lume is way too thin. Also the 3, 6, 9 and 12 markers all look too ::Square:: and have edges that are too sharp.

Also it looks like the tip tip of the gmt hand goes well past the indices and markers and even past the minute markers almost to the rehaut. That gmt hand should only go to the bottom of the indices. So the gmt hand looks too long imo. But the handstack is correct. Are these watch guys? The fact that there is no picture of the movement would worry me. Also there is only like 1 picture of the dial and 5 of the bracelet. That worries me too. Why show the bracelet 5 different ways but show the dial once? Especially considering it’s shortcomings.

But again, I’m taking 6 digit knowledge and a 6 digit eye and applying it to a 5 digit gmt.

Applicator

13/10/19
Thanks for the response so far mate. I'll pass the info along. My friend is a watch guy but he focuses on the newer models and I think he just asked me to try and help him out because he knows I buy rep and he has no experience with them. He mentioned requesting movement shots of it last time we spoke.

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Thanks for the response so far mate. I'll pass the info along. My friend is a watch guy but he focuses on the newer models and I think he just asked me to try and help him out because he knows I buy rep and he has no experience with them. He mentioned requesting movement shots of it last time we spoke.

if the guy opens it and send a picture it's gonna be an easy check anyways

Applicator

13/10/19
He said it is not guaranteed but highly likely to be a good thing if he is able to see the movement. I told him that reps can clone movements which is what caused him to worry.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
The watch in the pics is genuine - or at least the parts that are visible are genuine.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Here's a pic of my gen on top, the linked watch on the bottom.

AgvRs.jpg

The linked watch is a gen. There are some things about it that are a little different from mine but mine is an older model. Dials can vary a bit from one production run to another, same with inserts.

But I have seen the best the rep world can do with a 5 digit rep and the linked watch beats them all by too wide a margin to be a rep.

The hand stack is correct. Only two rep movements do that. The 2824 timebomb, which has a quite noticeable lower crown height, and the new DG3804 which has a huge GMT hand hole surround, so large it completely conceals the hour hand hole surround. This alone is enough proof to convince me its not a rep, but there's much more.

The insert fonts are gen. I own at least 20 aluminum inserts and hunt for them several times a week. NOBODY can rep an insert like the one linked.

The dial markers are rounded, zoom in close to see. The dial fonts are correct. The case shape, the CGs, the crown position, all good. The clasp logo, the bracelet, compare the bezel teeth to mine. I don't see a thing out of place. The minute tics aren't touching the rehaut which is uncommon but I've seen it before on gens. Here's a different gen to compare.

LDUnb.jpg

Like others have said, IMO no transaction involving a Rolex of this value should occur outside of an AD in front of their watchsmith. Pay them if need be. My AD watchsmith has looked at watches for me without charge. As sure as I am about a watch, I wouldn't do it any other way.

There are a lot more pics to look at in my gen vs rep review if you want to see more

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...bp-factory-rolex-16710-gmt-full-review-vs-gen

Applicator

13/10/19
Thank you guys. It is amazing how much knowledge everyone collectively has in the forums. I'll try to convince him to join the forums so he can learn. It's definitely too risky a trade that it is best to have an AD authorize it o the spot since there's no buyer protection in a trade.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Last edited:

Warrcraft

Renowned Member
14/4/06
United States
Applicator, anyone can post gen pictures. This, of course, does not mean that is the watch you are going to get. Your post is a bit short on exactly whom your friend is buying the watch from? This makes all the difference in the world! Is this somebody your friend knows, an established watch seller, or somebody from a gen forum? (established or not on gen forum, I would personally stay away from as I've seen what were thought to be honest sellers go rogue, or found out to always really have been). I’ve purchased a few gens throughout the years from TRUSTED sellers on eBay that have long and ESTABLISHED positive reputations or online ESTABLISHED watch sellers. They all must have a REFUND POLICY that gives me time to have watch mechanically and gen verified. I also try to pay via credit card so I have some additional protection. Other than that, I stay far away from non-established sellers...it’s too risky!

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

Applicator

13/10/19
KJ2020 I did pass it along and thanks to everyone for being so generous with your knowledge and experience.

Warrcraft he said it is just a random guy that he met recently in his hobby so it isn't like the guy is known to be a reputable gen watch owner or collector.

Warrcraft

Renowned Member
14/4/06
United States
Warrcraft he said it is just a random guy that he met recently in his hobby so it isn't like the guy is known to be a reputable gen watch owner or collector.[/QUOTE]

Yes, then for sure before any money is exchanged have the watch verified. If the seller is not willing to do that..."run Forrest run!! :)

Mattjames84

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/5/19
Established or not, I just think something like this should always be done in person now that reps are getting to be as good as they are.. not only is it easy to screw a buyer, but just as easy to screw the person who sold you a gen by sending them back a fake and saying you had it checked out.