• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Date wheel partially outside of window, need help identifying movement

John1

Known Member
20/10/15
I got this submariner several years ago, don't recall from where. I just recently re-discovered it in pieces, in a box. So, I set about putting it back together to evaluate it, cause I wasn't smart enough to write a note on why I took it apart.

First problem: It looks like the calendar wheel is offset to the outside of the window, but I think the window itself is the problem, being set too far inward:
fKUK7Nc.jpg
fKUK7Nc.jpg

However, if you look at the calendar wheel relative to the movement, it is what it is. Meaning, there is no way to install a smaller diameter one that would align the numbers to the left in the window.

1xHM23Q.jpg

To me, it seems the easiest fix is to get a windowless dial, plus a crystal without the magnifier window. But first, I need to identify the movement. Am struggling with that. I'm sure someone here knows what it is...

See below for pics.

axmRPzI.jpg

axmRPzI.jpg

Last edited:

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
The movement is a DG2813. The date wheel is in the eta position, whereas the dial window is in the Rolex position and would require a date wheel overlay to line up correctly.

Reactions: KJ2020

John1

Known Member
20/10/15
Wow, thank you! Would an overlay do just that? Lay over the existing date wheel?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Wow, thank you! Would an overlay do just that? Lay over the existing date wheel?

It has to be glued on, in the correct positions up/down left/right

John1

Known Member
20/10/15
One more question, ease my migraine. Seems to me there should be a movement without the need to glue an overlay on. How do I locate the correct one? I've found many, many sellers of the DG2813, but really can't differentiate between the ETA version, vs the non-ETA version. Thanks again.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
DG movements are not ETA, they are Chinese. Even ETA movements have the datewheel in the same place and require an overlay to move the numbers to the Rolex window position.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
You could change the dial to an ETA window Rolex dial and keep the movement and datewheel you have.

hWzks.jpg

http://rafflesdials.com/watch-dial/submariner-dials/

Raffles dials say "with DWO" (datewheel overlay) to indicate that dial has a Rolex window position. You do NOT want that if you choose to keep your movement /datewheel and change your dial.

Reactions: Hor-Fan