• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VRF Batman released

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
I actually had reply written ready that my vote would go to GMF ICHS based on what I have seen and read here. But did not post it as I have the Noob CHS myself and thought let other people with hands on experience comment but so far going through all the 80 page long threads about the GMTs I would take the GMF ICHS (which I might actually do myself some time also).

Reactions: cap923

Vicar69

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
29/7/17
London, UK
Hello all. Could I get some advice?

I’ve got a VRF BLNR and am using it as the base for some mod work.

I think I’m ok with the gen xtal, gen crown and gen dw. But would welcome any insights on others installing those.

My main question is around the insert. I have the rare chance to get a gen insert. But I have heard the vrf insert / bezel is not similar to the gen bezel and the insert is glued on not pressed. Can I get any insight / advice on this?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14

I think I’m ok with the gen xtal, gen crown and gen dw. But would welcome any insights on others installing those.

My main question is around the insert. I have the rare chance to get a gen insert. But I have heard the vrf insert / bezel is not similar to the gen bezel and the insert is glued on not pressed. Can I get any insight / advice on this?

Thanks!!

You are correct. If you get a real insert you will need to glue it in.

Vicar69

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
29/7/17
London, UK
You are correct. If you get a real insert you will need to glue it in.

Thanks mate. Thought so.
If I sourced a different bezel - is there a more gen like one (eg Noob) that I could install the insert on, and would still fit the VRF??

Reactions: cap923

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Thanks mate. Thought so.
If I sourced a different bezel - is there a more gen like one (eg Noob) that I could install the insert on, and would still fit the VRF??

Yes. I got the VRF and the ARF 116710's and the ARF is almost identical to the rolex. Of course on quality of finish and spring, rolex is a lot better. Nevertheless If you use the ARF bezel assembly from their new 116710 build, the insert fits by compression as does a real one. Don't mess up it will crack if you try to remove it. LOL. Oh and you can't use the crystal ring of the VRF with the ARF assembly.

As far as noob bezel goes. I have not done any noob GMT's in a long time. So I can't comment on the newer ones.

Reactions: Vicar69

watchservicesny

I'm Pretty Popular
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
8/1/07
I wouldn’t risk pressing gen Batman insert into ARF bezel

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
I wouldn’t risk pressing gen Batman insert into ARF bezel

I wouldn't recommend pressing a batman insert at all! LOL. When I did the LN I did it by hand and I was nervous that it was going to snap. That was only a couple hundred dollars. I would hate to think if a $1000-1500 insert would snap!

Vicar69

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
29/7/17
London, UK
Clearly I’d leave it to an expert - not a chance I’d try!
;)

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks mate. Thought so.

If you wanted to use a Noob bezel on your VRF, don't use their newest GMT model bezel. Noob changed the bezel design so there is not a fully enclosed gasket groove to lock the bezel gasket (hytrel ring) in place. The new "groove" is just a stairstep detent that is open on the top and the gasket can, and has popped out taking the bezel with it on a number of reported cases including one I bought so I could see how it could be fixed.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...193-noob’s-new-gmt-bezels-are-poorly-designed

If I were installing a gen insert on a VRF, especially one of the value of a Hulk or Batman, I would use either a gen bezel and crystal retaining ring (LN will work, doesn't have to be a BLNR), or an ARF bezel and crystal retaining ring since we know that will work. Pressure fit the insert to the gen, or epoxy it to the ARF with JB Weld epoxy. Epoxy can be softened by soaking in acetone in a tray at a level that reaches the glue but not the markers if you ever want to remove the insert.

jb3md

Renowned Member
11/8/19

Thanks!!

Hey mate

I’ve had my eye on a Franken-lite Batman as well. Mine is the noob base. Have the gen crystal. I was under the impression bezel inserts were closely regulated by R factory and since have been unable to find one am planning on the USD plating mod instead.

And have been told by several watch makers (as noted here) that even if I had the gen insert they wouldn’t be willing to install it for fear of cracking.

Guess if you have the availability of the insert and the balls to do it yourself...power through!

Post pics of you do...

Sent from the RWI App

sickopsycho

15/6/19
NC, USA
Does anyone know of a Jubilee bracelet that will fit this? I assume it's the same bracelet from the 116710- I'm hoping there is one that will swap right out. Unfortunately it's not available from VRF... but if another is a direct swap that would be fine. Let me know-

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Does anyone know of a Jubilee bracelet that will fit this? I assume it's the same bracelet from the 116710- I'm hoping there is one that will swap right out. Unfortunately it's not available from VRF... but if another is a direct swap that would be fine. Let me know-

Any 20mm jubilee should fit the 116710. Lots of cheap aftermarket ones available on eBay or AliExpress. I am not sure how good the SEL fitment would be with the aftermarket ones though.

sickopsycho

15/6/19
NC, USA
Any 20mm jubilee should fit the 116710. Lots of cheap aftermarket ones available on eBay or AliExpress. I am not sure how good the SEL fitment would be with the aftermarket ones though.

Right- I'm actually looking for a Jubilee similar to the one on the new model Gen Batman, as the current VRF does not have the option for one. I would like a Rolex (rep) bracelet- I was just wondering if the GMF or another factory's would be a straight swap and look as if it belongs on the watch.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Right- I'm actually looking for a Jubilee similar to the one on the new model Gen Batman, as the current VRF does not have the option for one. I would like a Rolex (rep) bracelet- I was just wondering if the GMF or another factory's would be a straight swap and look as if it belongs on the watch.

You can never know for sure which rep bracelet will fit what rep case without trying if first. There is no standardization in placement of springbar detents in the lugs or shape of the SEL or fit to the case. For example, a GMF oyster won't fit an ARF case. Most ARF Daytona oysters won't fit a Noob case and people are using Noob SELs on ARF bracelets. I spent a couple hours carefully sanding and grinding 6 digit BP jubilee bracelet SELs to get them to fit a 5 digit BP GMT case. What you do have going for you in this pursuit is the VRF GMT lug width is actually 20mm wide, unlike the VRF Subs which are ~19.9mm and will not fit any other bracelet without the SEL being shaved or swapped. There's a member who posted his custom VRF Batman with a jubilee in this thread, but I believe he got a GMF case and bracelet. It's a unique piece, from a dealer too and it does have a VRF movement.

Link to it

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...37#post8435337

Last edited:
Reactions: RiffRalf

macarone

Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
VRF BLNR with prof’s black hole
ddc63548d8e1ed7c60c76348c003c65c.jpg

89e376a1cfb7264e38ece8ebcf1eca1c.jpg

b5fc7975ac6c50611f6b0574e3b703ad.jpg

Picked up a USD plated insert shown in comparison.
USD appears to have the speed bump although it’s level and plays with the way light reflects off of the contrasting colors.
853dbb987764c27fcdc4f434d2ad291e.jpg

b5f988e249deec40727447940e1e28fb.jpg

Here is the USD installed. The watch is beautiful and I’m pleased with what we have to work with for the time being.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
VRF is apparently on their second batch of inserts now. The REALLY awful ones are being put on 116710s now as well. IDK how anyone could possibly be OK with this.

ChB5P.jpg

Reactions: macarone

macarone

Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
Same as the one I swapped! When will someone get this right?

Reactions: KJ2020