• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tudor 79090 project

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Hi all

just picked this beauty up from the bay vintage eta 2824 along with hands and datehweel should be perfect for a Tudor Submariner build.

excited to start a (what looks to be) a long journey it's going to be enjoyable!

on to the pics..

20191116-110035-2-695x927.jpg

looking at the date wheel I like it because it's got them vintage serfs :D

20191116-104745-756x1008.jpg

any recommendations welcome!

I'm not deciding on the case I'll be using yet, veitnam? Cartel? I don't know

the look I'm trying to achieve, (but older and more vintage)

Tudor-79090.jpg

pic took from net,

Conjurer

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/9/19
I am staying tuned to this cause I am interested! How gen do you want to make it?

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
I am staying tuned to this cause I am interested! How gen do you want to make it?

Hi! Thanks for your interest I'm not too sure but the stem height needs to be right, so this mean big $$ because the only cases are veit, or the bay (veit also) could be same seller..

I've found gen dial but 400. Price tag I'll hold off for now. Yuki makes a really nice one (IMO) pro's can chime in and correct me, which isn't a bad price.

there is a ton of options, big $$ must go into it to have it right! Which maybe my lean towards (hence the long journey)

cheers mate stay tuned!

Conjurer

6/9/19
Oopsoooops Too late to talk about cases I just purchased a Vietnam case set :cool:

Hahaha that was fast!! Good for you! Mind if I ask where you got one? (you can pm me if you want cause I don't really know where to look for viet cases)

To be honest I am not so sure about Yuki dials. Yes they seem well made for the money but fonts always been troubling me from the pics he has. Always seem too.... bold and arial-y. Just a thought here but I think tudor subs are skyrocketing right now (79090 gen are going for over 4-5k) so that means demand will rise too for dials. I think you should consider the gen dial first. I know it's big $$ but it's one of the parts that you are never gonna regret buying!

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
I recieved the case set last night and I am overly excited and happy with it! The quality is truly amazing i guess our memebers here on Rwi aren't joking around when it comes to Vietnam cases.

onto the pics

20191123-084342-756x1008.jpg

the case is indeed stamped with 9411/0 between the lugs and also the caseback (which are executed very nicely) But my build will be for a 79090 hope the cyclops top hat crystal isn't going to be an issue fitting..

20191123-084534-1209x1612.jpg

20191123-084604-1209x1612.jpg

20191123-084644-1209x1612.jpg

20191123-084700-1209x1612.jpg

20191123-084722-1209x1612.jpg

20191123-084803-1209x1612.jpg

The pearl on the insert wasn't corrcet so I swiped it off quick!

the crown will be replaced with vintage 703, along with tube because a 703 will not fit this tube.

thanks for reading, stay tuned

HelenBK27

27/6/18
UK
Looks like this going to be special. I'll be watching it progress with interest.

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Okay back to the build,

Athaya crown & tube received today super excited! It is truly amazing in quality high polish and teeth are very refined in finish and a superb job in the Rolex crown logo.

The veit case set is very gen like and to my surprise it even has the recessed inner tube fitment for the rubber seal to fit in!
Okay for fitment, let's first put the rubber "O" ring inside the case tube groove sits flush very nice
Alright ready for install!!!!

.........okay ran into a problem, fitment didn't go so well... you guessed it, the thread's didn't match up and upon measurements the athaya tube is exactly 1mm larger then the original veit Tudor case.

This is where we have no other choice but to bring in the handy threader :D
place it into a little chuck
no for complete steadiness i like to put the case into my vise placing the proper sized bezel/crystal dies top & bottom (with out caseback) to avoid tapping into the edge of the inner side caseback.
Okay your all set now for the tapping! Off you go!

oh, don't forget some oil... I use this multi purpose oil works great for smooth cooled cuts and taps
I do this by hand slowly and steadily one turn at a time applying drops of oil every so often making sure the tap doesn't break off inside (remember your dealing with thin tap here)

That's all for now folks see you next time for the finished installation of the crown and tube!!!

Thanks for watching stay tuned!

Conjurer

6/9/19
Let's do this!! Excited! Did you complete the crown-fitting??

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Alright athaya crown and tube are in!!
Now let's check the clearance between case and crown, there should be just a slight gap you should see some light peaking through.

BINGO :D
over all very happy with the results it took a bit of work but sure pays off in the end sure beats that original crown it had on it lol.

In addition to the excitment I had a pleasant surprise come in the mail!

Thin font insert I've been waiting for! Coming from veitnam not bad post I'd say and happy now we have the correct lume pip :D
Super happy with the way this build is going still waiting on my Top-Hat crystal to arrive and that should rap it up for the exterior of thia build. Bracelet and clasp will be features purchases I'll wear it with this B&S lumber jack leather over this winter season should suit ;)

Stay tuned guys for more updates coming up (:)

Conjurer

6/9/19
This vietnam case looks pretty nice! Will you reshape the case or leave it as is?
The athaya crown is perfect.... This build is going very well! Go my man!

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
This vietnam case looks pretty nice! Will you reshape the case or leave it as is?
The athaya crown is perfect.... This build is going very well! Go my man!

Thanks! Yea these cases are quite good but still need some work/shaping, but I will be letting it go for now wear it as is untill I feel like it needs a reshape.

Thanks for the nice comments! I am enjoying the build process as well!

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
The crystal arrived and I've had the chance to install it! It's definitely a game changer it gives it a whole nother look!! Now it's starting to take shape of the 79090 :D

what do you guys think?! I'm definitely overwhelmingly happy with it and also it was a very tight fit pretty sure it's water tight ;)

dannybb

27/11/16
Love it!

Thanks for doing this.

I got a case set of the bay earlier this year.
Just completed the assembly and didn’t bother much.

Im looking for a case back and an insert thats period correct.

Could u point me to the right direction?

The watch condenses too sometimes when washing my hands.

Im thinking the crystal needs a bit of a seal. What should I do?

fdda29f53e29b8cd84de6085d23acf4a.jpg
?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Perpetual

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Love it!

Thanks for doing this.

I got a case set of the bay earlier this year.
Just completed the assembly and didn’t bother much.

Im looking for a case back and an insert thats period correct.

Could u point me to the right direction?

The watch condenses too sometimes when washing my hands.

Im thinking the crystal needs a bit of a seal. What should I do?

fdda29f53e29b8cd84de6085d23acf4a.jpg
?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a nice looking peice! Yuki dial?

I would make sure the caseback seals are greased and make sure the rubber is (thick enough)

I would say if that crystal is the original to the case set then that is the problem because they are very loose fitting the tension ring over it = not water tight.

look into a (gs pa) crystals they're cheap and great fitting *very tight*

either one of these will fit but they carry a different profile which would be personal preference.

Good luck!

Reactions: jp3007_1