• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob Daytona V3-To service or not?

fnf01

Horology Curious
30/10/19
New to rep game, I know I'm gonna get alot on either side and maybe flamed but here it goes.

Just got my 116508 last night. I love it! It looks great and to my minimally trained eye I dont see anything glaring. I am a little iffy on feel tho. First the bracelet, my nicest watch is a gen tag aquaracer stainless steel which is way smoother, the Daytona squeaks manipulating the links which doesnt seem good and the plating feels weird tho I guess feels more "gold" like. It feels about even weight wise with the aquaracer, the case feels heavier on the 116508 but bracelet "lighter".

When setting time it was smooth, but unscrewing pushers it seems pretty gritty (normal?) and very gritty actually pushing them. In fact first use of chrono something binded and froze the seconds @6. After a very light (it was) tap it freed up and been good to so since.

Now my main question are people getting these serviced out the box? QC showed 6.7spd which I can definitely live with and 303 degrees (g2g from what I'd read). I do plan to use the chrono so my second question is if I don't service do I have to worry about it breaking beyond repair more so than if I did get it repaired? Or stated another way is putting off getting it serviced just delaying when I do get it serviced (now vs later) or would I be shortening the life of the watch.

In the CONUS and sent a few PMs on servicing but shop recommendations always welcome feel free to PM.

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
New to rep game, I know I'm gonna get alot on either side and maybe flamed but here it goes.

Just got my 116508 last night. I love it! It looks great and to my minimally trained eye I dont see anything glaring. I am a little iffy on feel tho. First the bracelet, my nicest watch is a gen tag aquaracer stainless steel which is way smoother, the Daytona squeaks manipulating the links which doesnt seem good and the plating feels weird tho I guess feels more "gold" like. It feels about even weight wise with the aquaracer, the case feels heavier on the 116508 but bracelet "lighter".

When setting time it was smooth, but unscrewing pushers it seems pretty gritty (normal?) and very gritty actually pushing them. In fact first use of chrono something binded and froze the seconds @6. After a very light (it was) tap it freed up and been good to so since.

Now my main question are people getting these serviced out the box? QC showed 6.7spd which I can definitely live with and 303 degrees (g2g from what I'd read). I do plan to use the chrono so my second question is if I don't service do I have to worry about it breaking beyond repair more so than if I did get it repaired? Or stated another way is putting off getting it serviced just delaying when I do get it serviced (now vs later) or would I be shortening the life of the watch.

In the CONUS and sent a few PMs on servicing but shop recommendations always welcome feel free to PM.

I have two of the Noob Daytonas and got both serviced. There were some broken parts in one replaced with gen parts (as a part of the service.) Also some parts not lubed and others over lubed. One of them was several seconds a day fast.

I think with a cheapo Asian clone, you wait for it to fail and then swap in an ETA. With this movement, you want to catch broken, rusted or corroded parts early. It's a complicated movement. Mine were gritty from the factory, but now are silky smooth. Feels good, man.

My other bit of advice is to get someone who works regularly with Daytonas and understands the movement. Its different than a standard 3 hand.

tl;dr Yeah, better get it serviced.

Last edited:
Reactions: fnf01

fnf01

Horology Curious
30/10/19
So far gotten a couple smiths passing on servicing the Daytona, one waiting on response, and one who would but it’s a bit of wait. Any other recommendations for a watch smith? Thanks

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
If you plan on keeping this watch, you are right to get it serviced. It will either be bone dry from the factory or covered in oil, it will definitely be dirty. Without the correct lubrication parts will wear faster and there are no spares for the 4130, you will be looking for gen parts as a replacement or buying a rep donor and keeping parts as spares.

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
forum watch smiths must be drowning in boxes full of watches

You have to be patient

I would service it, and i have done mine actually

Topcat72m

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/6/18
I have just paid for this watch. I'd love a contact who would service this. I'm in Ireland but I don't mind posting to a good watchsmith for a service. Preferably one who will replace water seals. Get it to 10ATM preferred. I won't be diving but may get it wet in swimming pool or snorkel in future.