• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Compare ARF 116710LN with the VRF 116710LN

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
When I have time, I will polish the top of the rehaut. It is rough and needs polishing. I will also find a new dial and hands. Along with upgrading the SH3186 or just run the VR3185. Haven't decided. But the VR hand pinions need changing. They also really rock as did the real 3186. When jumping the hour hand all the hands shake. The SH is a little better but I can feel that the gear is not strong. Anyway. Hope this helps people. I may just build up the ARF to see how that one will be. I ordered a 116710 crystal ring but got sent a 116610 one. I can always use a spare but when they come in I am getting one and then I will redo this build the right way.

shortlegs

31/5/19
Great info occb2 !

Is it possible to have photos showing the differences between the VRF case and the ARF case?

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Great info occb2 !

Is it possible to have photos showing the differences between the VRF case and the ARF case?

I second that, thanks a ton for the great analysis and details. It seems to me that in the end you're using all things ARF except the case (and of course gen parts), so is the ARF case that bad/the VRF that much better?

Thanks mate

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
No. The ARF is not bad. They just use an open case which needs tabs to hold the movement down. Like JF did with the 16610 and ARF did with the 116610. The lugs are nice and so is the case. I did not take side by side. I can tell you the VRF movement is very stable. So has the ARF for the past few hours. Keeping great time. I will run it till I get new hands and dial to rebuild this watch. I may take parts and just throw it at the ARF. The ARF bezel is a lot better than ARF. Where the VRF takes glue to put the insert in the ARF is pressed in. I like that. Also it looks like a real bezel.

If I have any problems with this build this week I will take it apart and put the VRF movement in and at that movement I will take pics of the cases next to each other. They both look amazing. I am an ARF fan. I just dont like that the movement is dirty and cheap parts are used for the hour jumper. I may just get a real jumper. I see there is an improved one. I wonder if I have to change the min gear? Anyone know?

Reactions: Tobel

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
No. The ARF is not bad. They just use an open case which needs tabs to hold the movement down. Like JF did with the 16610 and ARF did with the 116610. The lugs are nice and so is the case. I did not take side by side. I can tell you the VRF movement is very stable. So has the ARF for the past few hours. Keeping great time. I will run it till I get new hands and dial to rebuild this watch. I may take parts and just throw it at the ARF. The ARF bezel is a lot better than ARF. Where the VRF takes glue to put the insert in the ARF is pressed in. I like that. Also it looks like a real bezel.

First, thanks occb2 for this great tear down.
Lovely to see.

Second, I have some questions leftover, maybe you find some minutes.

Sometimes it seems that you are mixing up VRF and ARF so that’s why I just like to confirm that I got these things right:
-The hour hand scratches your dial with the VRF 3185 movement and this would require new pinions to avoid this, right?
-The Metal spacer has been removed from the ARF bezel assembly due to wrong bezel height, right? Isn’t that part crucial to keep the „spring ring“ in place?
-You prefer the VRF case because the ARF case has a different construction to keep the movement in place?
-The VRF movement has wobbling hands while setting hours but there is no movement you prefer yet or which seems more stable than the other?
-Do you know the part numbers for both, ARF and VRF movement, to replace the weak wheels?

Thanks for sharing.
Btw, if you need, I will probably have a gen dial leftover.

Reactions: stufuse

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
First, thanks occb2
Sometimes it seems that you are mixing up VRF and ARF so that’s why I just like to confirm that I got these things right

I noticed this too but from Previous comments he made I understood what was ment and yea, I think you’re right with your analysis.

Thanks occb2 it’s great info you’re providing. It’s funny how when delving right in how opinions change on aspects of the Watches. Very interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mega12

thinwhiteduke

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/16
OK, thanks again for your hard work, Rob.
Looks like the way to go out of the box is ARF. Was going for the VRF before this definitive review from Rob.
Take a bow, occb2 !

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think

If I have any problems with this build this week I will take it apart and put the VRF movement in and at that movement I will take pics of the cases next to each other. They both look amazing. I am an ARF fan. I just dont like that the movement is dirty and cheap parts are used for the hour jumper. I may just get a real jumper. I see there is an improved one. I wonder if I have to change the min gear? Anyone know?

Thank you for your explanation, everything is very clear, my only question is, since I won’t be able to switch the bezels at home (I don’t have the tools) I was thinking about putting the whole movement-dial-hands block from the vrf into the ARF case, but I’m not sure if the tabs will be able to secure VRF’s movement into the ARF case, do you think it will be plug and play? Or will there be some problems regarding the size of the screws for the tabs, and the position of the holes?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

altesporsche

Patron
Certified
21/3/12
Interesting and good to know. Maybe you could share how you've been successful with it. Fitting a gen 3186 with flush dial into a Noob 2836 case has created too much upward stem pressure for some folks. Have any pics?

I do have tons of photos, but im offshore working at the moment, so ill search my phone to see if i have any on my phone. Basically i used a small hytrel panerai crystal gasket and cut it down as a movement to case spacer and mounted the movement and they have been running well ever since. There is one a friend of mine has one in Israel now that hes been wearing since earlier this year and i had it for a while before that, so about 2 years nearly on that one with no broken stems and a stable movement. Im not saying people do not have issues, but i am saying the amount off centre of the 3186 vs. the 2836 is not a whole lot. Is it correct to do, maybe not, but it works and ive had it working from my experience. if i can get my hands on some more 3186 or modded 3135 ill likely build more, but there isnt a need now that ARF and VRF are coming out with their versions.

Reactions: KJ2020

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
Woah, the VRF lume application is a bit uhhhhhh

markiemark

Bracelet King
Patron
18/4/13
EU
Just came in!

21kLc.jpg

ap@12

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/12/12
brothers i almost have finnished the franken VRF
the one thing i was comming trough is that the gen crown doesnt fit on the vrf tube!!
the tube from the vrf is smaller than the gen or noob
so have to swap the tube for a gen or noob
dont know if the hole in the case needs to be mod for the gen or noob tube,as i dont have the right size of tool for getting the vrf tube out

just read a few threads back and looks like occb2 has fitted the gen crown without any problem
also the case engraving isnt 126710 but 116710,it came in the vrf case with polish stuff
its a bit strange,

Last edited:

Futzorr

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/8/19
EU
brothers i almost have finnished the franken VRF
the one thing i was comming trough is that the gen crown doesnt fit on the vrf tube!!
the tube from the vrf is smaller than the gen or noob
so have to swap the tube for a gen or noob
dont know if the hole in the case needs to be mod for the gen or noob tube,as i dont have the right size of tool for getting the vrf tube out

just read a few threads back and looks like occb2 has fitted the gen crown without any problem
also the case engraving isnt 126710 but 116710,it came in the vrf case with polish stuff
its a bit strange,

Interesting - Which TD did you buy from? Can they confirm if they upgraded the watch already?

ddb92

Known Member
11/8/18
occb2

My plan is to put the VR3185 Movement in the ARF SH3186 Case and take the ARF Hands (better 3D effect) on VR3185 Movement...

Can you tell if this will fit without any issues?

I can't test it now because ARF is just in order...
Please let me know. Thanks

markiemark

Bracelet King
Patron
18/4/13
EU
Congrats mate, it's gonna be a hell of a build :) which base are you going to use?

Looking forward to seeing the end result!

Thanks! I'll be using the VRF case + movement and ARF bracelet. But not sure yet, I bought the parts in an impulse so might as well list them for sale here and build a 5513 haha!

Reactions: jcher

markiemark

Bracelet King
Patron
18/4/13
EU
What’s a handset cost these days

There is a set for sale for 750 euro, but I paid a little less. Someone mentioned 350 euro in a list if he would build one. Not sure if he can actually get them for that price, but that would be a really really good price if so...