• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Compare ARF 116710LN with the VRF 116710LN

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
My Franken calculation was as follows (including shipping costs, because obviously I will have to pay them;))

Both watches ARF + VRF 950€
Sell one after taking best parts: -300€
Gen bezel assembly 650€
Prof Sapphire Glas 200€
Gen dial 500€
Gen hand set 350€
Gen DateDisc 150€
Service / Labor costs 200€

Total: 2.700€

Would be a perfect watch for me, but I rejected then since I do still have the gen and purchased this baby for a bit more than twice that price some years ago. But I‘m really considering the Batman, although knowing that there won’t be gen inserts available for reasonable prices.

Reactions: occb2 and Vvvlllooo

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
My Franken calculation was as follows (including shipping costs, because obviously I will have to pay them;))

Gen bezel assembly 650€
Prof Sapphire Glas 200€
Gen dial 500€
Gen hand set 350€
Gen DateDisc 150€

Would be a perfect watch for me, but I rejected then since I do still have the gen and purchased this baby for a bit more than twice that price some years ago. But I‘m really considering the Batman, although knowing that there won’t be gen inserts available for reasonable prices.

True, gen is gen, but if i had to spend 2700 for a rep i'd rather spend 3500 for a beautiful speedmaster, personally i'd rather keep it low price, since we are still talking about reps.

I already made a Noob daytona modded and that was enough of a project ahahahah.

just a question, do you think that a gen gmt crystal mint condition except for a very small nick in the bottom part is worth 200 euros?

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15

Gen bezel assembly 650€
Prof Sapphire Glas 200€
Gen dial 500€
Gen hand set 350€
Gen DateDisc 150€

Nice..would be an awesome superfranken watch

Last edited:
Reactions: occb2 and mega12

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
True, gen is gen, but if i had to spend 2700 for a rep i'd rather spend 3500 for a beautiful speedmaster, personally i'd rather keep it low price, since we are still talking about reps.

I already made a Noob daytona modded and that was enough of a project ahahahah.

just a question, do you think that a gen gmt crystal mint condition except for a very small nick in the bottom part is worth 200 euros?

Post a picture of it...or go prof xstal

Last edited:

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
If the nick is not really visible it can be worth 200€, as prices for crystals increased a lot.
I have every variation on my watches. From many nicks to perfect. And I like all of them in their own way ;)
However, I would rather counted a damages sub/gmt with 100€-150€ (depends on incl. or excl. gasket)

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
occb2 thanks for sharing. Can you try to mount a gen date disc on both to see if it requires sanding or so?

Sharky1528

Known Member
28/8/19
Ohio - USA
From the look of the pic. The ARF jumping mech. gear looks broken already. LOL. I'll look again tomorrow. Getting my house floor installed tomorrow so watches tomorrow will be a no go.

Ask away on questions. I will try to answer the best I can,

Was the gear broken ? sure looks like that in the Picture !!!

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Was the gear broken ? sure looks like that in the Picture !!!

No. It is just bad machine work. If I keep that movement I will get the real rolex part. They are a pain and wear from everything I have been told.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Awesome occb2 , Thank you!

So If I get to summarize your thread and mike's, the best way to go without gen parts is the VRF (better dial, hands, crystal) with ARF band for better sell, correct band number, better clasp and better bezel/insert.
Same for movement VRF has the 3185 which jumping hour module is more reliable than 3186 (ARF).
And if we want to go franken, every gen parts will fit both on case and movement (bezel, insert, crystal, dial, hands or any movement parts).

What has been happening in the rep world for the past 4 years is mesmerizing.

Yes. Mostly. LOL. Also the rep world is booming,

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Hey Occb2, do you know if the 3185 from VR will fit ARF's case? Is it a straight swap? i was thinking of swapping the movements together with hands and dial since they seem better looking to me.

This shows my preoccupation: http://blog.watchdoctor.biz/2018/02/24/rolex-3185-vs-3186/

Yes. It is a direct swap. The ARF though, uses tabs to hold the movement in while the VRF uses movement/ case screws which is more Rolex type. Never the less they both will fit a 3185/86 movement.

Reactions: Mochahead and jcher

jcher

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
1/8/17
Yes. It is a direct swap. The ARF though, uses tabs to hold the movement in while the VRF uses movement/ case screws which is more Rolex type. Never the less they both will fit a 3185/86 movement.

Fantastic, I love it - can wait to receiving them for the perfect merge !

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
occb2 thanks for sharing. Can you try to mount a gen date disc on both to see if it requires sanding or so?

I will when I have all the parts in to built the super rep 116710LN between the two that I have. So far I have a real chromaight dial, Chromalight hands, I ordered the real crystal ring and cystal. I have a real insert and I am up against the fence of getting the whole assembly or leaving it with just the insert. I have a real date disk. I also have a real 3135 that I thought of using the SH parts to build up to a 3186 but might do that later and just run the VR3185 till it dies then go that way.

Right now is a crazy time between house construction and a sick mom that I am driving all the way from Orange County NY to lower Manhattan a few days a week, time is crazy.

I promise when I have all the parts in hand I will add to this thread or create another one on the final build of the two.

I am leaning more towards the VRF case. I want to break them both down and measure the cases but I like the more realistic hold of the movement than using tabs.

I am leaning towards the ARF band. Feels good and looks amazing also proper engraving though that really doesnt matter. Also fits amazing on the VRF case.

Movement, I like them both. They are both good. The reason rolex upgraded the 3185 to a 3186 was the jumping hands. When one would adjust the hour hand the others would shake. People were snobs. LOL. So rolex made the 3186 to improve it. So yes the VR when adjusting hands shake more than the AR. I really do not adjust my hands much. Daylight savings mostly or traveling.

If I had to bet I think SH took care of the date wheel. Understand that the 3185/86 have a completely different date plate than the 3135. The date wheels for all 31XX fit each other. We will see.

I will keep everyone update as much as I can.

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Cool thanks Rob

Is the bezel turn on both similar to gen or does it sound different (out of your memory)

Reactions: occb2

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Cool thanks Rob

Is the bezel turn on both similar to gen or does it sound different (out of your memory)

No. I found the response of the ARF better than the VRF. I took apart the ARF and can't get the nylon/hyral ring back in place. I have a new rolex one but dont want to use it until I decide on which one I want to use.

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
No. I found the response of the ARF better than the VRF. I took apart the ARF and can't get the nylon/hyral ring back in place. I have a new rolex one but dont want to use it until I decide on which one I want to use.

Ok thanks Rob.

Dumb suggestions but I’m pretty sure you tried turning the nylon gasket up side down or vice versa? Because it’s important which side of the gasket shows up and which goes down. I spent like 2 hours on one watch trying to get it back in place after I realized that simply I have to turn it. But I‘m quite sure this is not your problem :)

Time doesn’t exist, clocks exist.

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
Agree. Gen is gen.
No matter how good rep dials, bezels, inserts are. The gen is always more shiny, more perfect, more premium, more crisp, IDK, just gen :)
I can’t explain it better than this picture..top Ferrari...bottom..fiero with kit
hLc6S.jpg

Last edited:

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Ok thanks Rob.

Dumb suggestions but I’m pretty sure you tried turning the nylon gasket up side down or vice versa? Because it’s important which side of the gasket shows up and which goes down. I spent like 2 hours on one watch trying to get it back in place after I realized that simply I have to turn it. But I‘m quite sure this is not your problem :)

Time doesn’t exist, clocks exist.

Yeah I wish it was that. LOL. It was shredding. Looks like when they installed it they did it a few times or used a really cheap ring.

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
Yeah I wish it was that. LOL. It was shredding. Looks like when they installed it they did it a few times or used a really cheap ring.

Try fishing line brother..not much needed to hold that baby down.

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17

Haha yeah I thought ist something different. Curious to see if gen gasket will work because I tried it once on my sub (ARF with gen bezel gasket) and it didn’t work. I mean it worked but tension was too strong and it was hard to rotate bezel. As this gasket is the same for Sub and GMT I hope you won’t face the same problem. Otherwise it’s clear: you need a gen assembly:)

Reactions: technobabel22