• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Compare ARF 116710LN with the VRF 116710LN

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
First. They are both good.

Good about ARF. The 3186 is a 3186 rep where the VR is a 3185 or sort of.

ARF bezel is not so hot. Both are gen spec. So I have 2 crystals in route so I will test both cases. I have a real bezel and after I get them I will use a real hydrel ring and see if the AR or the VRF case is better.

Right now I am leaning to the VRF case. They took care of the lug issues and bracelet issues. So the VRF case fits the ARF bracelet as does the ARF fit the VRF. So the lugs being to tight like the 116610 is taken care of. I did not dismantle the VR because Mike did the write up already. So I did a comparison visually and took apart the ARF.

So the dial looks better on the VRF. The bezel looks better on the VRF color wise but engraving wise the ARF is better. I like the ARF movement better because it is a copy of the rolex 3186. Mike brought out a large fact. The jumping spring is problematic/weak on a real 3186 so just imagine what a rep would look like. That aside you can replace it with a real one. The SH3136 is not dry but is is not so clean as I would like. When it stops I will clean it. Im still on the fence with the AR maybe swap the movement. The crystals on both are not even close. The ARF is a better crystal and clearance and gasket thickness. The VR doest look right to me as far as gasket. Bracelet. ARF is finished better and just feels better. The SEL is not so great but thicker pin springs fixed that in 2 seconds.

Funny thing. The VRF put the model number 126710. So would be great for a batman or new Pepsi. So you know what they are thinking. The ARF is the proper case number of 116710.

Anyway here is pictures. ARF is on the left and VRF on the right. Unless pic shows name.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
From the look of the pic. The ARF jumping mech. gear looks broken already. LOL. I'll look again tomorrow. Getting my house floor installed tomorrow so watches tomorrow will be a no go.

Ask away on questions. I will try to answer the best I can,

Reactions: timewaster

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Oh forgot. The VRF came out of wack. The GMT bezel is not set to zero. Nor are the GMT hands. They were pressed at 10 after 12. So the hour hand isn't at 12 till 10ish after. But the hour hand never aligns up to the GMT bezel. Easy fix. Pull hands and crystal and realign hands to proper GMT and 2400 hours and then press bezel with crystal correctly aligned and that is it.

m5smg2

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
23/8/07
Now we’re getting somewhere. Awesome compare Rob!

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
On other thing is the VRF is oddly thicker than the ARF. I dont have a real one to compare it to I sold it. But from memory I think it is thinner than the VRF. Could be crystal could be case back. I will have to compare more

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
What is really super cool, it the VRF and the ARF are different movements. While I am a fan of the 3185, to me more reliable the fact that ARF did a 3186 is cool also. Best of both worlds. Love the rep world!!!

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
On other thing is the VRF is oddly thicker than the ARF. I dont have a real one to compare it to I sold it. But from memory I think it is thinner than the VRF. Could be crystal could be case back. I will have to compare more

Thanks for doing this Rob! It does look in the pics like the VRF crystal sits high and the case back is not flush like on the ARF. Interesting to see if there is any difference in the thickness of the actual midcase.

Rawbe

I'm Pretty Popular
8/4/15
CA, USA
Thanks for doing the review mate! I was waiting to see your opinion on both. Now that I’ve adopted BODs franken GMT I need to finish it!

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Ok. learned a few things when I went down. It is definitely the crystal hight. The backs are the same thickness and screw in tightly.

Second. I am liking the VRF case better. When I put the ARF 78200 which is the proper band, (VR F comes with a 97200 sub band with a GMT buckle) it give nicer SEL and fits well.

So at min I have a Rolex spec 126710 so I can make it a batman or Pepsi. I can hybrid the 3186 ARF movement with some rolex movements. service it. Use a real dial and hands and bezel insert. Crown and date wheel and crystal and call It a say. Have an amazing Franklyn. period.

Now the ARF case doesnt suck, Just think I will use the parts I have left over and build it and sell it or donated it.

I dont know why VRF used a 97200 band but never the less use used the right ones.

mpowergmt

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
23/10/18
Behind You
Really appreciate this! Really wanted a clear response on which movement to go for! But thats the repworld I guess...

if I wanted to add gen bezel assembly (full) gen crystal, gen dw, gen dial and gen hands... which would be the best out of ARF and VRF?

currently have a noob v9 but movement is obviously being a nightmare and really want to make the change!

thinwhiteduke

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/16
Hi Rob, thank you for this definitive review. I am so glad the VRF is not as bad as others earlier pictured it to be. My money has always been with VRF from when they boldly developed and used the VR3135. Since we plan to use gen bezel assembly, the inacurate VRF bezel insert doesn't bother me. Again, take a bow, Rob! Thank you!

fradic

Renowned Member
16/9/11
Great review my man! Wish you put in some photos with the bracelets mounted, so we can see some SEL shots. ( THE REAL SEXY SHOTS ) :D

Reactions: Doc brown

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Amazing review Rob! Well done, as always!

Just a couple questions:

1) Is it me or the difference in thickness is there because of the different inclination of the bezel insert? from your pics VRF's insert seems steeper than the flatter ARF.

2) Correct me if i'm wrong but as far as i understood ARF replicated a 3186 and VRF some sort of 3185, so, what would the optimal choice be regarding movements? let me explain myself better, if i were to get both the VR and the AR, would it make sense to swap the VR movement in the AR case? would it even fit? i'm asking this because you showed ARF's click spring saying it looks broken already lmao, i know how flimsy that is in the gens, so i bet it will be flimsier in the reps. What do you think?

3) If i had a 3135 date disc, will it be possible to mount it onto the ARF's without particular modding?

4) i was thinking of getting both the AR and the VR, and doing some kind of mix between the 2 taking the best of both worlds, ARF base, VR movement dial and hands (or are ARF's hands better?) and then installing gen DW. is it feasible? would changing the movement be an improvement?

Thank you, hopefully you can answer these questions, i bet many others must have some of these doubts as well.

botsyboy

Supporter
Certified
1/9/09
U.K.
Amazing review Rob! Well done, as always!

Just a couple questions:

1) Is it me or the difference in thickness is there because of the different inclination of the bezel insert? from your pics VRF's insert seems steeper than the flatter ARF.

I thought it was just me but I too think the arf looks flatter in profile as per gen. Visually the arf looks much more accurate to me over vrf especially if you don’t want to go over the top with modding and gen parts! I love the appearance of the arf hands too.

A great review though and thankyou!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: KSwatches

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
I thought it was just me but I too think the arf looks flatter in profile as per gen. Visually the arf looks much more accurate to me over vrf especially if you don’t want to go over the top with modding and gen parts! I love the appearance of the arf hands too.

A great review though and thankyou!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep ! as i thought it was not a visual thing, i noticed it by comparing the pics of the other 2 threads that were talking about these amazing releases, i guess that an ARF with gen DW, (maybe vrf dial and gen crystal?) would be an outstanding rep without extensive heavy modding.

Now the problem is the 3186, will it last? or is the 3185 better suited, and then it's necessary to swap it in?

mmh...

GrizzlyBear

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
Certified
16/3/18
What is really super cool, it the VRF and the ARF are different movements. While I am a fan of the 3185, to me more reliable the fact that ARF did a 3186 is cool also. Best of both worlds. Love the rep world!!!

Thank you for the review on both!

Will gen hands fit the VRF ?

Reactions: mf0_