• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Baby oil!?

putrella

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/8/19
Hi guys!
reading the various posts I noticed that many write about taking a bath in baby oil to make the bracelet softer.
My questions is: how many time? Brushing with toothbrush? Pure or diluited?
thank you

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
let it sit in a small bowl Over night, pure, won’t hurt your bracelet. Then rinse with a little soap and warm water...I use my men’s body wash soap...result is smooth like butter..

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
I like cleaning it first with toothbrush and soap.
Then pure baby oil in a ziplock bag. Massage it all around and work every articulation
Then another round with toothbrush and soap
Voila

OldNavitimer

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
22/1/19
My ritual is a bit different. I do the old toothbrush and Dawn dish soap. But then I put the bracelet in a ziploc with coconut oil. I bring a pasta pot of water to just before boiling and take it off the heat. I drop the ziploc bag in the pot and let it sit for a few minutes. I pull it out and work the bracelet links back and forth to make sure the oil is well distributed. Then I put it back in the water and let it cool to room temperature. By the time it’s cooled down the oil has done its job.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

wapvi

Horology Curious
3/11/19
So remove the bracelet or do this for the whole watch? I suspect doing this to the whole watch would damage the bezel and not the whole watch

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
So does the oil leak out onto your skin over time? Especially if it gets dirty? I'm asking because I wear white dress shirts and oil (especially if it turns black from dirt over time) might not work.

Any experiences?

reptime101

15/9/18
Mine is different.

I like adding Olive Oil and Tumeric into a zip lock bag. But I don't place the bracelet inside, I boil the zip lock bag inside a 400 farenheit brick oven and when boiling, I use it as a mace and beat the bracelet until submission. Then when I've broken down the spirit of the bracelet, I like to coat with WD40 and hydrochloric acid for good measure. Then rinse with water and voila! Gen like.

Last edited:

Mav2000

10/1/19
????????

I use 3 in 1 bike chain oil in a plastic pouch. Leave it for a few hours and it's done.

Nivka

10/4/15
Australia
So does the oil leak out onto your skin over time? Especially if it gets dirty? I'm asking because I wear white dress shirts and oil (especially if it turns black from dirt over time) might not work.

Any experiences?

That’s why you wash it after the oil bath. I’ve done it to all my reps and it’s never caused a problem with dress shirts

elchino

Renowned Member
9/11/14
That’s why you wash it after the oil bath. I’ve done it to all my reps and it’s never caused a problem with dress shirts
Do you think all this methods could affect to TT rep bracelets? I mean early tarnish or fade on gold links.

Nivka

10/4/15
Australia
Do you think all this methods could affect to TT rep bracelets? I mean early tarnish or fade on gold links.

I would be scared to do it with plated, but I’ve used the toothbrush trick a few times on my wrapped bluesy with no problems

elchino

Renowned Member
9/11/14
I would be scared to do it with plated, but I’ve used the toothbrush trick a few times on my wrapped bluesy with no problems
My bracelet is plated, I'm scared to do it! I'd better not do it. Thank you for your answer.

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15

Any experiences?

Screws and hinges leak drilling dirt when mixed with baby oil in the first few days.