• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF GMT 116710 SH3186 photo review

kiz1

Renowned Member
9/11/15
Well, how stupid of me to read this thread ,
Super happy with my 116610LN ARF SH3135 v2
Now I’m waiting for QC pictures from CT on this ARF 116710 LN SH3186 CHS also , guess I’m starting to fill up the watch box , now I remember why I have not logged on for a long time, every time I do, I end up wanting something new ...then buying it ..
My wallet feels ur pain. Same journey as you, I blame this thread in particular for craving this watch...

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Thanks bro. I just found something very interesting on an SH3186. One of the date disc retaining pins was crushed and deformed, but even more surprising was a shim was glued onto the date seating plate. It looks like the factory messed up the DW install and made a quick fix. It didn't last though. Fortunately I have a spare parts movement to scavenge from.

Bad
En1l4.jpg

Good
En9FI.jpg

Bad
En62c.jpg

Good
Enyaj.jpg
Shit like this makes me really happy I went with the vrf. Because the arf insert is the closest thing we've seen to decent, I've had some second thoughts. Yeah, the vrf needed a new insert but I saved on the datewheel and other than that... Imo, I'm good. It could use a crystal but could get by without one.

Currently the vrf LN GMT is the most accurate running watch I have at less than +2 seconds per day. I set this on June 30th. Here it is July 7th and I'm +10-11 seconds.

The vrf has been a rock star in overall quality, performance and value.

Outstanding investigative work though bro.
326a0a95a7d5d555851b7f5e2b7b4cfe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Shit like this makes me really happy I went with the vrf. The vrf has been a rock star in overall quality, performance and value.

I gotta say your VRF with VR3185 and gen insert is looking great right about now.

saucin

Renowned Member
20/4/20
He checked this out already haha that’s exactly what happened to my stuck datewheel.

If the shim that arf applied was jamming your datewheel, I’m assuming you didn’t need to purchase several gen parts for the fix....? Simply remove the shimmied piece and replace the date wheel pin.... am I wrong?

[mention]kennygconspiracy [/mention] did you get confirmation that the shim [mention]KJ2020 [/mention] found was the source of your stuck datewheel? Curious if you actually needed all those gen parts as well... my buddy is having the same issue and I was going try and fix it for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: kennygconspiracy

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
If the shim that arf applied was jamming your datewheel, I’m assuming you didn’t need to purchase several gen parts for the fix....? Simply remove the shimmied piece and replace the date wheel pin.... am I wrong?

[mention]kennygconspiracy [/mention] did you get confirmation that the shim [mention]KJ2020 [/mention] found was the source of your stuck datewheel? Curious if you actually needed all those gen parts as well... my buddy is having the same issue and I was going try and fix it for him.

The retaining posts can be removed with just hand pressure and a small staking tool kit. There is a small jewel underneath the posts which acts as a height spacer. So theoretically you could just replace the post with a good one. These would likely not be sold separately anywhere, but could be scavenged from another rep movement.

However, after removing one I found that the round recess for it in the date indicator seating has a machining flaw. At first It looked like a shim there too but on close inspection it's a flaw. So a replacement post will not fit properly in the space. At minimum you would need to replace the whole date indicator seating from another rep or aftermarket or gen.

Part is 3185/6‐600

https://evergreenparts.de/spare-parts-for-Rolex-Cal-3186

EN8js.jpg

ENtkD.jpg

Bad
ENnv3.jpg

Good
ENrOY.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
If someone was hard pressed to do so and skilled enough that excess material could be filed away to allow for the post to fit properly. So a replacement post from an old SH3135 might work when otherwise the 3135 date indicator seating might not.

Last edited:

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19

Thanks for checking up on the situation. Mike said it was not the shim as in KJ's scenario. He replaced the 3185-614 part with a gen one. Not sure if I'm lucky or not because with a shim the fix would have been far less costly.

I should be getting it today or tomorrow and I will double check the functionality myself. Again, thanks for keeping the updates going!

Sent from my ZF BB58 Blue using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: saucin

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
If someone was hard pressed to do so and skilled enough that excess material could be filed away to allow for the post to fit properly. So a replacement post from an old SH3135 might work when otherwise the 3135 date indicator seating might not.
F***ing genius work as always KJ. The finest watch detective in the land.

Sent from my ZF BB58 Blue using Tapatalk

Last edited:

saucin

Renowned Member
20/4/20
Back better than ever from Mike. Stunning, stunning work.

But yes, the magnification is 2x. I can live with it, just a little peculiar lmao.
72aadcd0095b3be7814d23e009f2d827.jpg

Sent from my ZF BB58 Blue V2 using Tapatalk

Looks great!! I confirmed with prof, his crystals are 2.5x so the issue with the mag appearing to be 2x is because the dial is closer to the lens on the ARF. I’m assuming ARF uses a 3x crystal to get the appearance of 2.5x mag of the date.

Reactions: kennygconspiracy

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
Looks great!! I confirmed with prof, his crystals are 2.5x so the issue with the mag appearing to be 2x is because the dial is closer to the lens on the ARF. I’m assuming ARF uses a 3x crystal to get the appearance of 2.5x mag of the date.

Thanks for the compliment brother! Absolutely thrilled to have her back on the wrist :) and thank you for looking into the mystery of the magnification. I wonder what the fix would be :thinking:

Sent from my ZF BB58 Blue V2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: saucin

n0wj

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/6/20
From looking at purchasing a ARF 116710 bracelet, to getting tempted to purchasing an ARF 116710, then even going as far as buying a spare VR3168 movement for swap. That's how this thread makes me feel. But from the great comments some 20 pages back, it seems more problems cropping up on these ARF GMTs. Are the tubes glued on (was that a one off), or threaded in? Man, I've learned a lot (and am learning more) -- thank you all for sharing.

Reactions: m5smg2

LordJensen

Horology Curious
26/2/17
After lurking in this thread for the better part of 8 months, I finally decided to pull the trigger, and get myself an ARF 116710LN from my preferred TD. Process with ordering was nothing short of a nightmare, but the fault was not of my TD. Received QC pictures today, and after looking them through, I thought I might share my thoughts about them, and hoped that someone would chime in, if they spotted something, I overlooked. I think I got a prime example, cosmetically; if it holds up, movement wise, only time will tell. But rehaut looks to be nicely aligned, so does the bezel if it has been turned all the way - there is not really any way to tell. The bezel engravings, to me, looks a bit deep, but it seems to be a common birth defect on these watches, and from looking at the pictures of other members' watches, it doesn't seem to noticeable under normal lighting conditions/from a normal viewing distance. To me, the date font looks okay, but I have requested some pictures of different dates to be able to comprehensibly conclude on it - just as I have requested some pictures of the lume in the dark. My main concern is currently the clasp, where there seems to be quite a large gap between the closing "bar" of the clasp, and the clasp itself. Looking at pictures of real watches, and my own Noob V7 116610LN, the gap is much smaller/barely noticeable. What do you guys think? I would love some second opinions on this, to see if I am just looking to finely at the details.

Link to album: https://imgur.com/a/4oGzLud

LaraA

15/3/11
Ask them for more high res pictures of the problems you are worried about :)

but at a quick glance, it looks fine

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
If you are asking for the clasp, why link all the pics ? :p

P.S. clasp is fine

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
If I was your TD and you emailed listing these issues and asking for more pics I'd tell you "no".

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk