• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF GMT 116710 SH3186 photo review

shortlegs

31/5/19
Ha, but for me that's what my reps are for, wearing them without worrying or babying them like I would my gens.

Reactions: m5smg2

kiz1

Renowned Member
9/11/15
Say hello to my little friend. My new favourite!

I'm sh*t scared to change the hour hand!!

Any tips on how to align the bezel insert, its a few mm out and it will bother me...
45817396febd5eb9becea823cfdb34b5.jpg
a0729348d9474f5f93b27ebcfc1b3fd0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Reactions: m5smg2 and saucin

parad1se

Looking Around
3/7/20
I just received the watch, but it's broken and the seconds hands is just stuck.

I did wind the watch and also moved it so I can move the rotor, but no luck.

You can see a video here: https://imgur.com/a/n1WOG5r

Has anybody else had such problem?
RaCRpAS

Last edited:

saucin

Renowned Member
20/4/20
Try gently setting the hour hand until the date clicks over and then try setting the minute hand. Hopefully you just need a little “jump start” for the balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Say hello to my little friend. My new favourite!

I'm sh*t scared to change the hour hand!!

Any tips on how to align the bezel insert, its a few mm out and it will bother me...
45817396febd5eb9becea823cfdb34b5.jpg
a0729348d9474f5f93b27ebcfc1b3fd0.jpg

Fixing the insert by that small amount is not an easy task. You have two options. Both start with removing the bezel/insert combo from the watch. This needs to be done very carefully with a proper bezel removal tool and even then involves some risk of scratching, bending, or cracking something.

https://m.pt.aliexpress.com/item/32...er_id=76e9303801334f9ea6e07fb627e90ebf&is_c=Y

After the bezel/insert combo is removed you can either:

1. Remove the insert from the bezel, re-press the bezel onto the watch, realign the insert and re-press the insert into the bezel. ARF inserts are pressure fit (not glued or adhered with double-sided tape). The GMT insert in particular is not easy to remove and there is risk of cracking it while attempting this.

2. Trace sharpie marks on the case around the crystal retaining ring scalloped detents in a few places. Remove the movement, the crystal, and crystal retaining ring. The crystal retaining ring scalloped detents are what positions the bezel. You would need to put the crystal back in (cyclops aligned), then re-press the crystal retaining ring after rotating it clockwise the amount it is off now. You can remove the Sharpie marks with a damp alcohol wipe if desired. Re-press the bezel/insert combo.

None of this should be attempted by someone without the right skills and tools to ensure a high likelihood of a successful result.

Reactions: kiz1

kiz1

Renowned Member
9/11/15
Fixing the insert by that small amount is not an easy task. You have two options. Both start with removing the bezel/insert combo from the watch. This needs to be done very carefully with a proper bezel removal tool and even then involves some risk of scratching, bending, or cracking something.

https://m.pt.aliexpress.com/item/32...er_id=76e9303801334f9ea6e07fb627e90ebf&is_c=Y

After the bezel/insert combo is removed you can either:

1. Remove the insert from the bezel, re-press the bezel onto the watch, realign the insert and re-press the insert into the bezel. ARF inserts are pressure fit (not glued or adhered with double-sided tape). The GMT insert in particular is not easy to remove and there is risk of cracking it while attempting this.

2. Trace sharpie marks on the case around the crystal retaining ring scalloped detents in a few places. Remove the movement, the crystal, and crystal retaining ring. The crystal retaining ring scalloped detents are what positions the bezel. You would need to put the crystal back in (cyclops aligned), then re-press the crystal retaining ring after rotating it clockwise the amount it is off now. You can remove the Sharpie marks with a damp alcohol wipe if desired. Re-press the bezel/insert combo.

None of this should be attempted by someone without the right skills and tools to ensure a high likelihood of a successful result.
Wow, there is no chance I will attempt this... I tried with very gentle pressure to get the bezel off like I do with my Sub. But immediately gave up when I could get much movement.

Its an annoying thing though. Need to find someone in the UK to fix it!

I did set the watch though, very carefully. So far so good.

e50e735a5bebbc0cf85ee0c64f5f786f.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: saucin and KJ2020

saucin

Renowned Member
20/4/20
Has anyone here put a Prof BH Xtal on their GMT? My Xtal came in today but I’m concerned the magnification might be off when used on an AR Factory GMT. I took this screenshot from a video of the amazing black hole effect and the date appears tiny... wondering if this is a one off, or if everyone has experienced this...

ff9ecfb4b02b60908618f7abbc3495c0.jpg

I believe the Prof is a 2.5x mag.... perhaps the distance to the dial is off compared to a gen watch, and ARF needed to increase the mag of their stock xtal to make up for this?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Has anyone here put a Prof BH Xtal on their GMT? My Xtal came in today but I’m concerned the magnification might be off when used on an AR Factory GMT. I took this screenshot from a video of the amazing black hole effect and the date appears tiny... wondering if this is a one off, or if everyone has experienced this...

I believe the Prof is a 2.5x mag.... perhaps the distance to the dial is off compared to a gen watch, and ARF needed to increase the mag of their stock xtal to make up for this?

I've seen this before. It's possible the stock crystal was 2.0mm thick and the Prof is 1.8mm. This would put the cyclops closer to the dial and you lose some magnification. Also a taller height gasket will help if the side profile can tolerate it.

Reactions: saucin

palaufreak

Renowned Member
7/7/16

I've seen gens with that magnification

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BiH855

18/3/19
Germany

I've put a gen xtal on my ARF and have similar small magnification, was also wondering if the distance to the dial and datewheel is smaller then gen because the height of my crystal looks on point, should be minimal higher then the bezel

wfAWQ.jpg

How is your crystal height? If its already okay, i wouldn't worry too much about it because as KJ2020 said there have been gens in 2015 with that small magnification.

Reactions: KJ2020 and saucin

saucin

Renowned Member
20/4/20
I've put a gen xtal on my ARF and have similar small magnification, was also wondering if the distance to the dial and datewheel is smaller then gen because the height of my crystal looks on point, should be minimal higher then the bezel

wfAWQ.jpg

How is your crystal height? If its already okay, i wouldn't worry too much about it because as KJ2020 said there have been gens in 2015 with that small magnification.

I think the Gen and Prof Xtals are basically identical. Both have 2.5x mag... so perhaps the issue is, in fact, distance to the dial and ARF needed to make their mag 3.0x for the gen look... or maybe KJ is correct and it’s hard to notice the 0.2mm height difference

If I was confident enough to replace my own Xtal I could measure them both with my calipers and know for sure...

I have yet to send the watch off for the xtal swap. Debating what to do as of now. Maybe I can have the smith analyze the issue more closely... or I might buy a nice bezel removal tool and crystal remover and do it myself for science.

Reactions: KJ2020 and BiH855

BiH855

18/3/19
Germany
I think the Gen and Prof Xtals are basically identical. Both have 2.5x mag... so perhaps the issue is, in fact, distance to the dial and ARF needed to make their mag 3.0x for the gen look... or maybe KJ is correct and it’s hard to notice the 0.2mm height difference

If I was confident enough to replace my own Xtal I could measure them both with my calipers and know for sure...

I have yet to send the watch off for the xtal swap. Debating what to do as of now. Maybe I can have the smith analyze the issue more closely... or I might buy a nice bezel removal tool and crystal remover and do it myself for science.

My thought Was that i have got a crystal from 2015 KJ was mentioning but since your mag is also little small there could indeed be some distances off or we both have got crystals with lower mag

My ARF crystal was 1.8mm same as my gen crystal and i also used the same gasket.

saucin

Renowned Member
20/4/20
I have the same issue as well, smaller magnification even with a perfect prof crystal. Glad to know I'm not alone.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

I figured out part one.... the ARF cyclops itself definitely has a higher magnification than the prof xtal I have and the gen xtal that [mention]BiH855 [/mention]has.

So either the distance to the dial is different on the ARF GMT vs Gen, and ARF modified their cyclops to make up for this... or the Gen and Prof xtals we have are only 2.0x mag...

[mention]rnrprof [/mention] can you confirm the cyclops magnification on your GMT BH Xtals? This will finally solve my mystery lol.