• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF GMT 116710 SH3186 photo review

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
I find it hard to believe that a big factory like ARF would be unable to source for a good DW for their reps, if they tried. So the only logical conclusion is, they don't give a rat's arse about it to bother.

One of our clients is a big European retailer. We once had one of the larger asian packaging companies pulp 500,000 shopping bags because the supplier did not use the correct artwork. The job was a re-print, so should have been fine. But the factory making them subcontracted the work out to another factory, who 're-made' the clients logo themselves. I find it hard to believe as well, but it's how it goes down in China.

My point is that just because they sometimes get it right, it does not mean they wont get it wrong.

On topic. I'll pass on this version.

I'd also prefer 316 steel, and a reliable / replaceable eta clone.
Before we know it TD prices will be on parity with those Swiss Made scam sites.
Theres an influx of people driven to the dark side by the fun and games of Rolex Ad's with money to spend.

Last edited:

michi_werner

Known Member
21/8/18
I also agree that a reliable ETA clone would be much more interesting, I am still hoping for a decent BLRO rep with a reliable movement. I’ve heard that even the current ETA clones (2836) are not super reliable, as they are modified by the factories to have a GMT function...

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
This would be true, except that they already had a source with the correct DW font that they used in their previous reps. Even if that source somehow is no longer available, other factories are still getting datewheels with decent fonts too, so obviously there is more than 1 source of datewheels available to factories.

I find it hard to believe that a big factory like ARF would be unable to source for a good DW for their reps, if they tried. So the only logical conclusion is, they don't give a rat's arse about it to bother.
It could have been a good batch. It could be any number of things. Maybe it was a season and a year with not a lot of humidity and a reasonable amount of ink bleed but hen summer came around and humidity went up and... you get the idea.

reptime101

15/9/18
Deeply saddened to hear the responses on here from those who've received and those who cancelled in process.

Got mine in the mail today and am overall extremely pleased with the watch. Those knocking ARF, I can understand. Lack of attention to detail, and not keeping their eye on the ball. Regardless you just can't beat ARF steel, quality, or whatever. Feels like a genuine on the wrist.

I guess people got unlucky with the movement. Mine works like a charm and the rotor is dead silent. Over joyous at this fact, additionally ticking is really feint.

Datewheel is a tad bit bolder in the 20s, but not as horrid as I thought from pictures! Definitely not in a rush to swap it out.

If anything were to happen to this puppy i.e. movement craps out, I'd send to Oascom and might as well replace the datewheel while I'm at it.

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
Deeply saddened to hear the responses on here from those who've received and those who cancelled in process.

Got mine in the mail today and am overall extremely pleased with the watch. Those knocking ARF, I can understand. Lack of attention to detail, and not keeping their eye on the ball. Regardless you just can't beat ARF steel, quality, or whatever. Feels like a genuine on the wrist.

I guess people got unlucky with the movement. Mine works like a charm and the rotor is dead silent. Over joyous at this fact, additionally ticking is really feint.

Datewheel is a tad bit bolder in the 20s, but not as horrid as I thought from pictures! Definitely not in a rush to swap it out.

If anything were to happen to this puppy i.e. movement craps out, I'd send to Oascom and might as well replace the datewheel while I'm at it.

Wear it in good health. Reps now vs a few years ago..leaping bounds..we r fortunate

NoNations

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/9/18

Other than the movement not working in mine the quality is good, I had an ARF Submariner with 2824 movement and everything was great except I knocked the pearl off so that's why I wanted a GMT.
In reality the font on the date wheel is nothing. With the cyclops it's almost impossible to see the date at an angle.
When it's getting serviced I'll get an idea of any parts I might need to replace and fix later, after seeing the date wheel it isn't a priority as much as what get said here.

reptime101

15/9/18
Other than the movement not working in mine the quality is good, I had an ARF Submariner with 2824 movement and everything was great except I knocked the pearl off so that's why I wanted a GMT.
In reality the font on the date wheel is nothing. With the cyclops it's almost impossible to see the date at an angle.
When it's getting serviced I'll get an idea of any parts I might need to replace and fix later, after seeing the date wheel it isn't a priority as much as what get said here.

Agreed date isn't half bad, and you can get a gen-spec date on ebay for $35-40 i believe. Thats what I'll get in my next service.

botsyboy

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
1/9/09
U.K.

Pointless post without pics!!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: maxik78

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17

I agree - despite the flaws, its important not to lose sight of this - on balance ARF are better made, better finished, and feel a whole lot better than Noob.

The problem I have is the cost of some of these later 2019 reps - I can drop $350 here and there on a bad choice or a dud. Dropping $5/600 is a different ask.

Edit - pics please!

Last edited: