• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF GMT 116710 SH3186 photo review

DC109

Renowned Member
21/7/12
For anyone who has not used a GMT, keep in mind the GMT and hour hands will not be the same distance from the hour markers on the dial except at the top of every other hour, e.g. 1800/6:00pm in the pic above. But at 1900, the hour hand will be on the 7 dial marker, and the the GMT hand will be at the 19 marker on the bezel, so half way between the 9 and 10 markers on the dial. It's way less confusing if you wear one for a few hours and read each time independently.

In @m5smg2's pic at 10:12, his hour hand is a little less than 1/4 of the way from 10 to 11 (though it maybe looks closer to 10 because of the camera angle), which is correct for 12 after. And the GMT hand is a little less than half way between the 10 and the 11 "dot" on the bezel, so a little less than 1/4 of the way between 5 and 6 on the dial markers. The hour hand may be off by a milimeter, since it even looks a tiny bit to the right of center of the 6 marker in the 1800 pic, but it's closer to perfectly align than some gens I have handled.

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
this ongoing discussion actually got me thinking...going to put this to rest..heres a video of my gen on hour hand movement..up to you to make your judgment. interesting..my hour hand never jumps off or below the marker because the movement has its actual resting point and won’t allow to stay in a different position..wanted to see an actual video to see if the arf movement moved the same way..

https://youtu.be/H302AfY2mzQ

Last edited:

m5smg2

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
23/8/07
DC109 your clarification is appreciated.

Vvvlllooo love the video and great gen BTW. The ARF operates exactly the same way as gen—even the time set direction is correct. I can’t seem to upload videos from Tapa but I followed the gen owners manual exactly. If the hour hand (not GMT hand) on rep is off a a tick on the hour marker it can be tweaked a hair fore or aft via the crown. It may help if you set the hour hand with the minute hand at 12 which is on the hour. I had set the hour when tine was like 4:20.

It’s worth noting I received this 5 days ago, I wound, set the date and time, and wore it everyday without touching the crown once. Keeps perfect time and I can’t even hear the winding rotor (if it has one lol). I’m curious about the power reserve too but I’d have to not wear it a day or two.

3b7ded5b1761e3282c124d741c1bb16e.plist
30dff486b6b329492fa9cb57bcecbe63.plist

Reactions: jcher

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
Nice brother...would love to see the video and operation...just finding the latest on occb2 and miskepeds review too and they are confirming gen parts to replace movement if needed...that’s the winner for me. Just want a very reliable movement..

mpowergmt

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
23/10/18
Behind You
Nice brother...would love to see the video and operation...just finding the latest on occb2 and miskepeds review too and they are confirming gen parts to replace movement if needed...that’s the winner for me. Just want a very reliable movement..

Vrf seems the way to go then?

thinking of using VRF as a base with the rest gen parts. Hopefully the case accepts ARF bracelet very well

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
Vrf seems the way to go then?

thinking of using VRF as a base with the rest gen parts. Hopefully the case accepts ARF bracelet very well

From the sounds of it yes...the movement tear down of the vrf was very good..accepting gen parts from 3185....vrf accepts ARF bracelet as well. Again this is just a quick run down from the guys who tore it down.

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
From the sounds of it yes...the movement tear down of the vrf was very good..accepting gen parts from 3185....vrf accepts ARF bracelet as well. Again this is just a quick run down from the guys who tore it down.

I was impressed with the VRF dial. Lume application wasn’t the best though, but ARF is too white, not sure which case is nicer. I will say though, & This is the same with ARF subs ( or any ARF watch) despite their flaws, they always look more gen like in build fit and finish to me. Maybe it’s because of the good bracelets, hands and inserts they produce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Vvvlllooo and Nivka

botsyboy

Supporter
Certified
1/9/09
U.K.
this ongoing discussion actually got me thinking...going to put this to rest..heres a video of my gen on hour hand movement..up to you to make your judgment. interesting..my hour hand never jumps off or below the marker because the movement has its actual resting point and won’t allow to stay in a different position..wanted to see an actual video to see if the arf movement moved the same way..

https://youtu.be/H302AfY2mzQ

That’s correct but op is not getting it so I give up! Strangely his watch is in sync at 6pm but seems to go out at 9 and a bit more at 10 so maybe the dial is not perfectly printed or the movement has a lagging problem. I won’t bother commenting anymore as I know what I see so I’ll leave it there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Vvvlllooo

2nova2

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/7/19
Seattle, WA
Great looking watch my friend. Time for ARF to drop the BLNR and BLRO already

Reactions: m5smg2

botsyboy

Supporter
Certified
1/9/09
U.K.
Looks better in the video but what does appear clear is that the hour increments when quick setting the hand doesn’t seem as precise as gen and often seems to be missing the point it should be at when turning. Time will tell on these and I’ll get one shortly and give my verdict. Thanks op!

m5smg2

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
23/8/07
Looks better in the video but what does appear clear is that the hour increments when quick setting the hand doesn’t seem as precise as gen and often seems to be missing the point it should be at when turning. Time will tell on these and I’ll get one shortly and give my verdict. Thanks op!

Thanks also. Apologies if it seemed I was arguing with you on the hour hand. It does line up on most hour markers. May be a tick off on a couple. All 3 hands sync up at midnight on the date change which I thought was the reference. But hey, I’ve been wrong before lol :)

botsyboy

Supporter
Certified
1/9/09
U.K.
Thanks also. Apologies if it seemed I was arguing with you on the hour hand. It does line up on most hour markers. May be a tick off on a couple. All 3 hands sync up at midnight on the date change which I thought was the reference. But hey, I’ve been wrong before lol :)

Not at all buddy. You look at these things blown up on screen and see stuff that just doesn’t show in normal conditions! Its a fraction out but that could be the dial not being bang on at every hour point! It’s still a lovely watch and your pictures are excellent!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
Facccckiing lovely rep regardless

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
Facccckiing lovely rep regardless

dom1986

Renowned Member
20/1/15
Fantastic review mate, the usual "tells" don't seem to be apparent. I have a franken Noob CHS (frozen GMT by Depp to avoid issues), gen bezel assembly, xtal and DW, and this looks cleaner if not better to me on the eye. Case, lugs, sels all look spot on. Very impressed with the insert, depth, colour etc. Doesn't look any different to gen from the pics on the review. I am thinking what the damn thing needs to become as close to gen. Be good to see how the movement holds up over time.

May even consider purchasing and transferring gen parts over.

BLNR and BLRO next from ARF please they are killing it at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk