• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF GMT 116710 SH3186 photo review

botsyboy

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
1/9/09
U.K.
dial + hands + DW all gen are not necessary for your opinion?

Depends how far you want to go bud. The VR dw is close to gen and gen dial and hands are always the best option if you want to spend that amount but for me I’m not that bothered really. Insert and crystal make a big difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark1937

Patron
Certified
25/3/17
Depends how far you want to go bud. The VR dw is close to gen and gen dial and hands are always the best option if you want to spend that amount but for me I’m not that bothered really. Insert and crystal make a big difference.

Can you show us more pics :))) it is the best light franken for me!

kiz1

Renowned Member
9/11/15
Hello all.
New to this forum, but not new to the rep world. Just got my QA photos from PT for my 5-15 ARF purchase and wanted to share. I'm pleased, I'll update as I see how this post corona shipping works out. PT has done right by me replacing two watches seized by customs btw.
Thanks for sharing. Looks really nice. Does that date wheel look like its been updated? Or is it only the 20s that need a diet?

Seriously tempted...

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

botsyboy

Supporter
Certified
1/9/09
U.K.
Can you show us more pics :))) it is the best light franken for me!

4b857c8a6f805ea4d4ec99c3b7b17aeb.jpg

9d30580552d00e515c8cef6dbe633060.jpg

f4b61e904afbd4e430517855aa3391f2.jpg

8fa8ffb22dba3113b19b9499f37a1ec3.jpg

Kiemarsh

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/4/20
Hello all.
New to this forum, but not new to the rep world. Just got my QA photos from PT for my 5-15 ARF purchase and wanted to share. I'm pleased, I'll update as I see how this post corona shipping works out. PT has done right by me replacing two watches seized by customs

Watch looks beautiful... update us with wrist shots when it arrives!

Knxvlln

Certified
14/5/20
United States
I'm not trying to get my hopes up, but the video posted on TDs site looked good when they cycled thru the dates. But IMO if they make a batch, they are gonna use it. If they modify or fix something it's gonna be the BJ3186 or XT3186 superhappymegaclone all of a sudden.

Knxvlln

Certified
14/5/20
United States
I'll take plenty of pics when it arrives, I wanna get a few HD shots of the SH3186. Is it actually believed that the VR3186 is a better quality movement? Not just finished and polished and assembled from the same parts as the SH3186 in a slightly better fashion? I guess if it is finished and polished better one would have to assume better longevity and smooth action... but a service on an SH3186 or proper operation and setting should give you a comparable life to all other Chinese products to this point.

My question to all is this.. are there any mechanical superiorities besides finish on the VR3186? I've only seen and torn a SA3186 to peices in person. I received one DOA from my TD and decided to dissect it before replacing w the ETA clone. It was low quality thin stamped parts just like every other china and Japa movt. They arent actually machining parts properly like a Gen or ETAx. To those who have seen the sh3186 torn down and possess the knowledge, which parts should be replaced to improve the movt? I'm curious if actual Gen parts would work..

m5smg2

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
23/8/07
Can someone explain to me why ARF has not done a Batman GMT yet? Having this great gmt rep out there

Batman was a little delayed. I’m sure they want to get the insert transition points and blue color as good as the can. Pepsi is said to released after Batman. Shouldn’t be long now ;)

Goon3r

19/4/20
UK
I'll take plenty of pics when it arrives, I wanna get a few HD shots of the SH3186. Is it actually believed that the VR3186 is a better quality movement? Not just finished and polished and assembled from the same parts as the SH3186 in a slightly better fashion? I guess if it is finished and polished better one would have to assume better longevity and smooth action... but a service on an SH3186 or proper operation and setting should give you a comparable life to all other Chinese products to this point.

My question to all is this.. are there any mechanical superiorities besides finish on the VR3186? I've only seen and torn a SA3186 to peices in person. I received one DOA from my TD and decided to dissect it before replacing w the ETA clone. It was low quality thin stamped parts just like every other china and Japa movt. They arent actually machining parts properly like a Gen or ETAx. To those who have seen the sh3186 torn down and possess the knowledge, which parts should be replaced to improve the movt? I'm curious if actual Gen parts would work..

I’m not the expert here so another member will be able to give you a more comprehensive answer.

Firstly, the VR3186 does not exist it is actually a VR3185.

The ARF and VRF GMT’s both come with cloned movement. ARF clones the 3186, SH3186. VRF clones the 3185, VR3185.

The 3185 gen is supposed to have a more reliable jumping hour hand due to the module used, whereas the 3186 relies on a single spring to do the jumping hour. This fragility in the spring is exaggerated in rep movements, ie even more fragile. So polish/finish aside (i cant comment that as i dont know) people tend to view the 3185 as more reliable as jumping hour is not dependent on a fragile spring.

Both movements can be made more reliable using gen parts however such is the nature of clone movements.

Hope that helps until one of the more senior members here can provide a better explanation.

EDIT: Sidenote, can not wait to see the ARF pepsi. Pepsi with a cloned movement is next on my list.

Last edited:
Reactions: sobaje and n0wj

Knxvlln

Certified
14/5/20
United States
Thanks Goon3r that's great info. It's hard to discern fact from opinion around here sometimes, believe you me I've done my research before buying or posting on this one. finally have a wild hair to make this GMT the most desireable under 1k possible. Hella excited to feel the bracelet, I've always hated rep bracelets and I personally think the 904l steel is gonna be the same difference between a knife, and a Henckels.. so to speak

Goon3r

19/4/20
UK
Mark1937 Im pretty certain they engraved 3186 on the movement despite it being a clone of the 3185. That is the VR3185 will be engraved 3186.

KJ2020 posted a link to another thread on the previous page about to how to spot the VR3185, i would link but i’m on mobile and its a pain, easy to find, he @‘ed me in it.

EDIT: should have read your quote haha, thats the link im on about. But yes im pretty certain they are the same movement and have always been engraved 3186. Wait for someone more itk to confirm though.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
TDs, factories and vendors call the VR an SA3186. The VR has always been engraved 3186. We decided as forum members to call it the VR3185 to easily differentiate between it and the SH/SA 3186. It makes sense to call it a 3185 because the hour jump click is cloned from the gen 3185. The 3186 gen jump click is different and less robust.

Gen jumping hour click springs compared

Reactions: m5smg2 and Knxvlln