• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

116500 NOOB V3 vs. 116500 GEN

OverTheTop

Known Member
12/11/14
Hello everyone!

Today I’ve had the fortune to compare a 116500 (white dial) Noob v3 with a Gen.

I would like to share with you my opinion about this rep.

Before to talk about the flaws I’ve to say that we have to consider that this is a rep and - to be that - it is something unbelievable.

On the wrist a well trained eye surely would have serious problem to understand that it is a rep, near impossible...once in hand a master could understand - but I bet that a simple Rolex vendors can’t tell it.

If you meet someone who has the gen you can consider that also in the gen there are some differences about colors, fonts, etc. however spending 15 minutes like a psychopathic the real differences can be checked.

I’m so happy to finally have in hand an amazing product like this noob. Surely I would like to have no flaws on that but we know that we have to live with these.

Anyway the major “flaws” that this rep has - considering that most of these aren’t so visible and can be seen by comparing the rep to the gen - are the following :

Lugs : a bit wider than gen

Crown : a bit wider and not sharp as the gen

Crystal height : a bit higher than gen

Bezel color : the black is slightly different from gen

Bezel - Engravings colors : slightly darker than gen

Counters : more shiny than gen

Counters print : font quite good, print not good as gen

“Daytona” color : gen is a bit darker red

SEL : if you see it closely you will understand that basically it is wrong in everything.

Bracelet silhouette : gen has a better silhouette. Noob is more straight.

Pushers height : on the gen you can see the three lines, on the noob only two.

Case geometry : slightly wider. The part of the lugs has a slightly different design.

Clasp engravings : quite good but a bit different from the gen

“Units per hour” font : close but slightly bolder than gen

In the end I’ve noticed something that I’ve not checked with the calliper (I will check it in the next days) but to the eye seems like that or rather that the gen seems to have a bit wider dial than noob.

Not having a macro lens and having bad lights I wasn’t able to do some beautiful photos...but I have this one

K6trL.jpg

wapvi

Horology Curious
3/11/19
It's really amazing how close they are without nitpicking and really looking for flaws for someone who hasn't one to compare the two they wouldn't be able to tell if it's rep or gen

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: OverTheTop

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Thanks for the analysis and great thread. If there's a chance another time to take more pics that would be really awesome.

I just received mine today and went to my watchsmith to get the bracelet resized. The guy services gen Rolex's on behalf of some Rolex resellers, but he was not sure whether it was gen or rep, kept telling me how good it is. And this is in spite of having a gen 116520 in his shop that he compared to. So yea I think it is indeed an amazing rep

Yellobird

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/15
If you ever get a chance to take some more detailed comparison pics it would be awesome! Thank you!

xxBlack

5/9/19
Bavaria, Germany
Thanks for the analysis and great thread. If there's a chance another time to take more pics that would be really awesome.

I just received mine today and went to my watchsmith to get the bracelet resized. The guy services gen Rolex's on behalf of some Rolex resellers, but he was not sure whether it was gen or rep, kept telling me how good it is. And this is in spite of having a gen 116520 in his shop that he compared to. So yea I think it is indeed an amazing rep

Did you compare the overall feeling? I really want to know if it feels the same when you put it on your wrist especially the bracelet

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Did you compare the overall feeling? I really want to know if it feels the same when you put it on your wrist especially the bracelet

The bracelet really needs an oil bath. Otherwise yes I'd says the feeling is very similar

OverTheTop

Known Member
12/11/14
Thank you guys! It's always a pleasure to share with you this passion and opinions.

I hope that next week I'll be able to make some new photos and some macros.

What I can say about the feeling? Is not that different from the gen..it's clear that gen has better finishes but once you put some grease/oil where it needs the watch is ok!

The bracelet needs a nice clean especially you need to remove all the pins from the links, clean they (because they are dirty) and then have a "bath oil"...I will do it as soon as i can...

One of the things that I like a lot is the feeling with the clasp...probably i'm lucky but - without doing anything to improve it - it remind me the gen at all..no bad feeling, no bad sounds....so smooth! Love it.

My watchsmith has recommended to me to service the movement immediately just to stay secure.

To return on the bracelet...Right now I'm quite satisfied but in the future i'm undecided if replace it with a Rubber B (or something similar) or find a solution replacing it with with an ARF just to have the right "silhouette".

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
Thanks for sharing.

May I ask which is gen?

Apologies if I missed it in your post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xxBlack

5/9/19
Bavaria, Germany
Thank you guys! It's always a pleasure to share with you this passion and opinions.

I hope that next week I'll be able to make some new photos and some macros.

What I can say about the feeling? Is not that different from the gen..it's clear that gen has better finishes but once you put some grease/oil where it needs the watch is ok!

The bracelet needs a nice clean especially you need to remove all the pins from the links, clean they (because they are dirty) and then have a "bath oil"...I will do it as soon as i can...

One of the things that I like a lot is the feeling with the clasp...probably i'm lucky but - without doing anything to improve it - it remind me the gen at all..no bad feeling, no bad sounds....so smooth! Love it.

My watchsmith has recommended to me to service the movement immediately just to stay secure.

To return on the bracelet...Right now I'm quite satisfied but in the future i'm undecided if replace it with a Rubber B (or something similar) or find a solution replacing it with with an ARF just to have the right "silhouette".

Service it! Did the same and the movement was dirty. My watchsmith said after the service it will last like ever gen Rolex movement. I recommend a CF Bezel. At the end thanks for sharing! I hope one day I have the chance to see a gen in RL to compare

OverTheTop

Known Member
12/11/14
Thanks for sharing.

May I ask which is gen?

Apologies if I missed it in your post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've not specified which is the gen just to let you all understand how it's difficult :D : Gen is on the right and Noob on the left

Reactions: KSwatches

OverTheTop

Known Member
12/11/14
Service it! Did the same and the movement was dirty. My watchsmith said after the service it will last like ever gen Rolex movement. I recommend a CF Bezel. At the end thanks for sharing! I hope one day I have the chance to see a gen in RL to compare

Yes absolutely!
Thank you! I hope for you too that one day you can have it in hand because you will enjoy that moment !

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
Thanks.

I find that the rep crystal has a raised milky rim. Gen crystal rim is clearer and more blingy. Apart from that, the other differences don’t bother me...could be different gen batches for all I know but the raised milky crystal rim just looks plasticy. Easy to replace with a higher quality crystal (eg ARF)
20c53c3e3b584dc93fae808a2960baee.jpg

Last edited:

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
Thanks.

I find that the rep crystal has a raised milky rim. Gen crystal rim is clearer and more blingy. Apart from that, the other differences don’t bother me...could be different gen batches for all I know but the raised milky crystal rim just looks plasticy. Easy to replace with a higher quality crystal (eg ARF)
20c53c3e3b584dc93fae808a2960baee.jpg

It’s the problem of a too high gasket on the noob. You can easily shave it and the problem is gone.

Reactions: KSwatches

Karlus

Renowned Member
4/7/17
The quickest way for me to validate is to look at the rounded points on the endlinks. Of course that does not work for the ARF, but is a quick tell for a Noob (because they may have a gen dial)

Reactions: Nivka and newrepper