• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF vs VRF - GMT II 116710LN (clone 3186) - GAMECHANGING BATTLE.

Dissemination

Renowned Member
15/6/19
San Jose, CA
Goon3r here is a Gen datejust 41, and a franken bluesy (everything you see is gen besides case and bracelet) and the cyclops are not perfect in either

I'll be honest, I do notice the cyclops on both, and it does bother me from time to time. But I f*cking love both of these. And I just accept it- they also cost a lot more than a rep too lol.

That being said I do think about rotating the crystal slightly or maybe replacing it. But again, they cost a lot more so it's kind of different... but in regards to you worrying about friends noticing or whatever, just know that imperfections exist in gens too.

Dissemination

Renowned Member
15/6/19
San Jose, CA
Goon3r it is possible you find a better one btw, but as KJ2020 said, you may find yourself lacking in another area instead.

Really though, if you have this much attention to detail, you'll end up changing the crystal sometime anyways lol. And no one is going to be looking at your watch straight on- it's not very ergonomic to casually do so if you think about it.

But in the end, you just need to ask yourself what you can live with. For example, had my watchmaker asked if on my franken I preferred the dial being lined up with the rehaut, or my cyclops being squared up with the date window (I'm just using as a hypothetical example), I definitely would have said cyclops > rehaut. I do have a particularly hard time with things being uneven, so I get it.. I'll send you a link to the one and only time I asked for help on QC so far... it was basically an imperceptible dial marker being minimally askew. You may laugh when you see it lol. However, it's all I looked at for a couple weeks... and then I never looked at it again and now wear it regularly.

Reactions: KJ2020

Goon3r

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/4/20
UK
[
BTW in the link where you saw the better crystal did you see this?

"plus I fitted a gen crystal too"

Didn't which post was that sorry?

[
That being said I do think about rotating the crystal slightly or maybe replacing it. But again, they cost a lot more so it's kind of different... but in regards to you worrying about friends noticing or whatever, just know that imperfections exist in gens too.

Cheers for the pictures Dissemination, its nice to see that these issues exist in a gen, doesn't make it any easier to take haha! And its not about my friends noticing, like im not gonan try and pass this off as a gen or anything, i'll just be paranoid about having a slanty cyclops on my wrist.
I've had a new QC picture back, i wanted some flat on a surface so i could really see alignment/angles etc

You can still see that the bottom of the cyclops isn't parallel to the top but it doesn't look too bad.

I do have a question around the position of the date window within the cyclops, is it normal for it to be that close to the left side? Is that just down the angle the photo was taken at?

QpjYs.jpg

I'm still not sure where I am at with this one, but i think with all the questioning critique i've given the cyclops its probably best that i try for another one highlighting my issues with it.

Hopefully jtime can come back with another watch where the issues doesn't exist or is less noticeable.

Last edited:

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Cheers for the pictures Dissemination, its nice to see that these issues exist in a gen, doesn't make it any easier to take haha! And its not about my friends noticing, like im not gonan try and pass this off as a gen or anything, i'll just be paranoid about having a slanty cyclops on my wrist. [

I don’t think he was referring to trying to convince people whether it is gen. I think he means that when you glance at it, it’s never really straight on anyway so there’s few instances where you’d look at it and see whether it’s perfectly aligned. Never mind your friends. Unless you’re looking at high def qc images. At arms length things are different.

im not trying to talk you out of asking for a different watch. We see it all the time and all went through the stage where we did that. Just remember what is going to show up at your door is a 40mm replica. Now a 24” wall clock that’s at eye level in a fixed position.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Didn't which post was that sorry?

Cheers for the pictures Dissemination, its nice to see that these issues exist in a gen, doesn't make it any easier to take haha! And its not about my friends noticing, like im not gonan try and pass this off as a gen or anything, i'll just be paranoid about having a slanty cyclops on my wrist.
I've had a new QC picture back, i wanted some flat on a surface so i could really see alignment/angles etc

You can still see that the bottom of the cyclops isn't parallel to the top but it doesn't look too bad.

I do have a question around the position of the date window within the cyclops, is it normal for it to be that close to the left side? Is that just down the angle the photo was taken at?

QpjYs.jpg

I'm still not sure where I am at with this one, but i think with all the questioning critique i've given the cyclops its probably best that i try for another one highlighting my issues with it.

Hopefully jtime can come back with another watch where the issues doesn't exist or is less noticeable.

The watch you previously linked to as one with a nice cyclops had the crystal replaced with a gen one.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...710-sh3186-photo-review?p=8817437#post8817437

Regarding your question about the cyclops and date window relationship, it goes back to my previous examples highlighting the differences between viewing angles.

Have a look here.

Are my eyes deceiving me?

Goon3r

19/4/20
UK
Just remember what is going to show up at your door is a 40mm replica. Now a 24” wall clock that’s at eye level in a fixed position.

This really puts things into to perspective, you should really put something like that in your signature haha!

And you've definitely made you're point with all the illusions! :D

The watch you previously linked to as one with a nice cyclops had the crystal replaced with a gen one.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...37#post8817437

Regarding your question about the cyclops and date window relationship, it goes back to my previous examples highlighting the differences between viewing angles.

Have a look here.

Are my eyes deceiving me?

Ohh so it is, i must have missed that, i was quickly scolling through the pages looking for pictures to compare mine too. Another argument for me getting the gen crystal

I have just GL'd the watch.

Thanks again for all your help and dealing with the never ending questions, your pateience is appreciated and i've really learnt alot in the process! And trust me there will be lots more questions to come yet, movements, modding the lot.. im deep in now!

Just as an FYI, the ARF is alot better than what i've currently got, (i wont embed, this thread doesn't deserve that!): https://clickpix.org/image/QPfYQ

So, now you've overcome the horror of that piece heres it's bullet pointed backstory
  • Bought roughly ~6-8 years ago from TOR blackmarket with no knowledge of 'rep scene'.
  • Cost anywherer between £300 - £350, paid in bitcoin so not 100% sure now.
  • Was a coke model but no idea which
  • Wasn't always pink! Wasn't always this beaten up!
  • The crown wouldn't screw in, but one day i had the great idea to go in a pool with it on...
  • Water got in, slowly lifter all the dial markers, turned the red on the bezel to pink and now the hands dont turn
  • Most of the missing dial markers slid down into the date window
  • Before going in the pool in looked great! Movement was rock solid.
  • Pool incident a year ago now, until then no problems except the crown
I have no idea what factory or anything, i would be amazed if one of you guys could identify that one.

Do you know what? Im looking at that picture of my beaten up pinky.. and i'm inclined to say the cyclops isn't parallel.. i've had that watch well over 6 years, i never even noticed!

Last edited:

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Just as an FYI, the ARF is alot better than what i've currently got, (i wont embed, this thread doesn't deserve that!): https://clickpix.org/image/QPfYQ

I have no idea what factory or anything, i would be amazed if one of you guys could identify that one.

Do you know what? Im looking at that picture of my beaten up pinky.. and i'm inclined to say the cyclops isn't parallel.. i've had that watch well over 6 years, i never even noticed!

U1 Factory. It's a... Back then they probably tried to call it 'triple a'. Here, now we'd call it a DH Gate Special.

The big tell is the 2813 and the Serial Number. Is it F437091? They put that on all their Rolex modes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Goon3r

19/4/20
UK
Mate i am impressed, bang on with the serial. I guess 2813 was the movement? But what was the giveaway? So this watch was never triple a? God i remember loving this one when i get it.. didnt know it was trash haha!

Nvgtrpete

27/1/19
When will the Pepsi version maybe with a Jubilee bracelet be appearing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rabl253

rabl253

Supporter
Certified
1/2/19
When will the Pepsi version maybe with a Jubilee bracelet be appearing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 can't wait for either ARF or VRF to do a pepsi on jubilee with a solid movement, those things will sell like hot cakes

Reactions: buzz483

Orlando2002

Horology Curious
31/7/19
Canada
I purchased one ARF GMT II from a TD and the watch delayed the time from 4 to 6 hours during a 24 cycle. The hour needle falls behind or delays not matter how you set up the time following the dozens of YouTube videos. Sending the watch back to the TD is an option, but I don't think that the watch would ever find the way back to me. I say that because I ordered three watches from the same TD on Jan 15 and as of today, May 23, I have not yet received my watches.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I purchased one ARF GMT II from a TD and the watch delayed the time from 4 to 6 hours during a 24 cycle. The hour needle falls behind or delays not matter how you set up the time following the dozens of YouTube videos. Sending the watch back to the TD is an option, but I don't think that the watch would ever find the way back to me. I say that because I ordered three watches from the same TD on Jan 15 and as of today, May 23, I have not yet received my watches.

I would just eat the cost and swap in a VR3185. The SH3186 is prone to more frequent failures. You could replace 3 SH parts with gen parts but that would cost more. The VR3185 has an added bonus of a nicer datewheel.

Dissemination

Renowned Member
15/6/19
San Jose, CA
I would just eat the cost and swap in a VR3185. The SH3186 is prone to more frequent failures. You could replace 3 SH parts with gen parts but that would cost more. The VR3185 has an added bonus of a nicer datewheel.

Orlando2002 I purchased an ARF so I could make a franken. The ARF movement was a little iffy upon playing with it, but mine was mostly ok...

That being said... my immediate response was, "damn an ARF x VRF combo would be the shit." I got my franken back with a VRF movement and it feels fantastic. ARF hands are amazing, and so is the bezel and bracelet. VRF has the movement and the dial and the date wheel.

I went full franken and I'm happy I did, but honestly a mash up would be freakin awesome too.

rabl253

Supporter
Certified
1/2/19

Orlando2002

Horology Curious
31/7/19
Canada

Hi, please tell me more details about where to get such VR3185 movement. Thanks