• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Submariner bezel insert paint problem... Help!

repmovseeker

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/6/19
California
I have an ARF Hulk and the white paint for the numbers has begun to fade/come off. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Also, anyone with more experience know if other factories make better bezel inserts like noob, etc.? I've only had this watch 6 months and the paint is already coming off. Other than that thought the watch seems to be fine.

repmovseeker

4/6/19
California
Sooner or later most reps are going to need an insert paint mod have a look here for how to do one

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...68-my-molotow-cocktail-with-springs-and-balls

Thanks KJ... That's way beyond my abilities. Was hoping there was a simple way to use some paint remover or even purchase some paint and re-apply...

Is this unique to HULK's? do the black bezel inserts have the same issues? Maybe I can just swap the insert out for a black one to avoid future issues?

Reactions: Pjeter63

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks KJ... That's way beyond my abilities. Was hoping there was a simple way to use some paint remover or even purchase some paint and re-apply...

Is this unique to HULK's? do the black bezel inserts have the same issues? Maybe I can just swap the insert out for a black one to avoid future issues?

All rep inserts will have this issue except for thie clean Factory insert (maybe)

GrandmasterChime

Agent Provocateur
Supporter
Certified
6/1/19
New Zealand
I can recommend the easiest way to do a paint mod. Buy a Uni Posca silver metallic PC.1MR 0.7mm with this paint pen you can just fill the indents leave for a couple of minutes to dry then just wipe off the paint from the ceramic with a cotton bud. The beauty of this method is that the paint doesnt stick to shiny surfaces so will bind in the indents and wipe cleanly from the shiny bezel and glass. Also no overnight waiting for it to dry. Takes no more than 2 minutes.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I can recommend the easiest way to do a paint mod. Buy a Uni Posca silver metallic PC.1MR 0.7mm with this paint pen you can just fill the indents leave for a couple of minutes to dry then just wipe off the paint from the ceramic with a cotton bud. The beauty of this method is that the paint doesnt stick to shiny surfaces so will bind in the indents and wipe cleanly from the shiny bezel and glass. Also no overnight waiting for it to dry. Takes no more than 2 minutes.

Have any pics of results?

Pjeter63

Known Member
11/12/18
I have the same problem on my Arf 116610Ln.
Just 7 months and it’s already fading

Gesendet von iPhone mit RWI

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
That looks pretty impressive. How do you feel the pen compares to the "whiter paint" that is traditionally used? I'm worried that with the green on an LV the silvery may look too dark... thoughts?

Insert markers are not and should not be white. Gen is platinum and looks brilliant silver in bright sunlight, and unfortunately (IMO) somewhat dull dark grey in low light conditions.

zTBVp.jpg

Of course, you can do what you want to your markers. l did a paint mod to a Batman that makes the numbers look brilliant silver in all lighting conditions.

15710886370782.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

Thanks for the pic bro. That looks pretty gen-like. Shiny sparkly silver in light, more matte and darker in shadow. Just like the gen.

I'll have a look at that marker, do you know if it's acrylic? I'm interested in how it holds up to dirt, moisture, and handling. Both Molotow and Sharpie mods are temporary, the Krylon spray paint I used on my Batman hasn't budged in about 7 months.

Reactions: ssouthall6

farnzy85

Supporter
Certified
13/4/14

I have also done this!! Works a treat

Sent from the RWI App

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks. It would be just like Molotow Metallic silver then. Typically those paint jobs need to be redone every few months. Molotow has the exact same description about waterproof once dry. Mine last longer because I don't get my watches dirty or wet and I don't handle my bezels. I also don't wear them very often as they are all on a 2 day wear rotation among about 35 reps.

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
Thanks for the pic bro. That looks pretty gen-like. Shiny sparkly silver in light, more matte and darker in shadow. Just like the gen.

I'll have a look at that marker, do you know if it's acrylic? I'm interested in how it holds up to dirt, moisture, and handling. Both Molotow and Sharpie mods are temporary, the Krylon spray paint I used on my Batman hasn't budged in about 7 months.

Now you've mastered the platinum it's definitely time for rose gold ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Now you've mastered the platinum it's definitely time for rose gold ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha, does anyone make an acrylic paint pen close to the right color? Or were you looking for something better? I need to find that guy who did the white and silver mix Daytona mod in enamel, that was nice!

repmovseeker

4/6/19
California
Great info... thanks to you all for your thoughts and comments. I think I will try the silver pen... can't looks any worse than it does now all faded. I'll try to get some before and after pics.

repmovseeker

4/6/19
California

Are you using any solvent to remove the ink? like alcohol/acetone/nail polish? or will it just come off with a cotton bud?