• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SD43 ARF damaged hytrel ring

xartan

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
30/7/16
I recently bought an ARF SD43 a2824 v3. It came with a damaged hytrel ring so I had it removed resulting in a stuck bezel.

ARF will apparently not supply the part or a bezel set for that matter. I’ve asked a few of my contacts here if they could come up with a solution without luck.

Do any of you guys know of an aftermarket hytrel that will fit or can be made to fit or if a gen one fits or can be made to? It kinda sucks with a stuck bezel on a brand new watch.

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
That sucks man. Isnt the ARF meant to be gen spec? Gen crystal fits right so probably worth trying a gen hytrel ring

Reactions: xartan

Waspy

Renowned Member
18/8/14
Wiltshire
I have heard these are impossible to obtain for any rep.

I think I heard gen hyrtel rings don't fit.

Someone suggested you could use a piece of nylon fishing line of the same diameter, apparently it doesn't matter if the ends don't meet.

To do this I would imagine you would need to measure the thickness of the original with some digital vernier calipers and then find some fishing line of the same diameter.

I have no idea if this idea works but it could be worth a shot.

xartan

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
30/7/16
Hmm yeah. I’d prefer an aftermarket hytrel that just fits. But maybe a fishing is worth a try otherwise.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The only aftermarket ones readily available are garbage. Too short in height and too narrow in width. They get swallowed completely in the groove.

Fishing line is your best bet. Take the bezel with you to a store to find the right size. The line should fit snugly enough so it doesn't fall out of the groove and protrude out of the groove enough to grip the retaining ring lip. You can put a thin coat of silicone grease on it for smoother action. Be careful not to use a size too large as it will be too tight and not rotate and will be a sonofabitch to get back off.

Waspy

Renowned Member
18/8/14
Wiltshire
The only aftermarket ones readily available are garbage. Too short in height and too narrow in width. They get swallowed completely in the groove.

Fishing line is your best bet. Take the bezel with you to a store to find the right size. The line should fit snugly enough so it doesn't fall out of the groove and protrude out of the groove enough to grip the retaining ring lip. You can put a thin coat of silicone grease on it for smoother action. Be careful not to use a size too large as it will be too tight and not rotate and will be a sonofabitch to get back off.

Thank you KJ2020, it was your wise words I was trying to remember.

Reactions: KJ2020

xartan

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
30/7/16

Thanks mate. That’s awesome. I’m gonna try that. So like waspy said doesn’t it matter if the ends don’t meet completely?

Waspy Thanks as well!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks mate. That’s awesome. I’m gonna try that. So like waspy said doesn’t it matter if the ends don’t meet completely?

Waspy Thanks as well!

No, you could easily be 10mm short but I would shoot for at least 90% coverage or so.

xartan

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
30/7/16

KJ2020 This is how it looks inside. It looks to me like there is a white gasket in the bezel. Is that the hytrel ring? At this point the bezel is stuck. Is a part missing or what could be restraining it?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
KCFAJ.jpg
KCG8P.jpg

KJ2020 This is how it looks inside. It looks to me like there is a white gasket in the bezel. Is that the hytrel ring? At this point the bezel is stuck. Is a part missing or what could be restraining it?

The white gasket is the hytrel ring. It looks like it might be OK. When you say it's stuck, do you mean you can't press it home, or once it's pressed it won't rotate?

When I saw your first pic I didn't know what I was seeing. Are those bezel teeth indentations in the case? I've never seen that before and it could well be preventing rotation if that's what that is.

Weak or too short springs can cause the bezel to sit too low. If it just won't rotate I would try replacing the springs with some longer ones. You can cut them to fit. Nail clippers are perfect for cutting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

xartan

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
30/7/16
The white gasket is the hytrel ring. It looks like it might be OK. When you say it's stuck, do you mean you can't press it home, or once it's pressed it won't rotate?

When I saw your first pic I didn't know what I was seeing. Are those bezel teeth indentations in the case? I've never seen that before and it could well be preventing rotation if that's what that is.

Weak or too short springs can cause the bezel to sit too low. If it just won't rotate I would try replacing the springs with some longer ones. You can cut them to fit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005S4GSZE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The initial problem was that the bezel was coming off when you rotated it. I then sent it to interaktiv to have him look at it. He said that the hytrel ring was damaged and he needed to fix the bezel. I didn’t quite understand but I guess he meant fixate it since it’s not moving now. I asked him what he did exactly and I’m waiting for his response.

I don’t know how the teeth marks on the midcase got there.

Do you know where to get new springs? I’m gonna try to fix it myself and see where it goes.

I think I’m gonna need to get a crystal press too btw. The crystal came off my arf sub when I removed the bezel to see what that one looked like inside to try and figure out what is going on.

xartan

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
30/7/16
I guess I’ll measure the diameter of one of the springs and try to find something similar on ebay.

xartan

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
30/7/16
I can easily press the bezel back on with my fingers. Usually people have to use a crystal press or at least a lot of force so I think that’s funny.

Flinnt

Known Member
31/5/19
Downunder
That case looks seriously messed up. If it came like that I’d be seeking an exchange from TD.

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
Cased is messed up bro did it come that way?...your hyrtle ring is messed up..it’s not suppose to be that warped. Gasket is good...you can press on the bezel with your hands but to make it very tight you do need the crystal press. I would remove the hrtyle ring again and check the crystal gasket. If it’s ok..press it back on. The hyrtle ring is pretty flimsy and can be repressed back in. It should be round like the crystal

57E28C5C-36AD-4115-A947-0B88CC160A7Eaea7742ab147b1fa.jpg

C6F690F5-D570-46EC-9CE6-07FCEAA1199D99ed9d6dca9b3f89.jpg

Last edited:

Pelagic

Renowned Member
30/8/07
Looks like the crystal retaining ring was not pressed correctly causing the bezel to damage the midcase. I you are in the US I can take a look at it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: xartan and KJ2020

prelude

Renowned Member
6/6/09
USA
I have ARF V2 and mine have similar problem. My hytrel ring was nor gasket and was a fishing line. Mine also had no springs and balls under the bezel. Anyone know how to fix this? I am in CONUS.

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
That watch doesn’t look new.

Can you print something that up on a 3d printer?

Last edited: