• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Definitive 116500 ARF vs. Noob White Dial Comparison: In Search for the Best Daytona

Sharki06

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
24/5/18
That's interesting, i never paid attention to the lume, but when I saw your comment and went to look at the lume right away. I really can't tell much given the small amount of lume applied on the dial compared to the sub/gmt dial. I guess there is a difference, is the noob greener?

Yes , Noob lume are greener on the hands compared to ARF dial index,you can see it on one of your pics :
z2szv.png

and here from my watch (noob base / arf dial) , overly zoomed to see it too :) :

z247K.jpg

like i say, not a big deal, and it's pop up is some ocassion , but it's here :p

Last edited:

old_man

Renowned Member
23/2/14
A quick comment on clasp. Until now, I used to get ARF clasps for all my Noob bracelets. However recently (last month), I got a Noob GMT 116710 and YM 116622 (the 904L version). The clasp has improved in terms of how it “clicks” close, feels just like the ARF now. The Rolex logo is also more polished looking now. I don’t know if the Noob v3 Daytona has the same new clasp (I think it would). If that is the case, i am not sure if you still need an ARF clasp.

ok guys, you want clasp, here it is.
z2vwj.jpg

z2uY1.jpg

I won't repeat everything in the photo, but as you can see the ARF looks much more like gen. Let me just say that I was stunned to see that the noob clasp coronet is actually flat, I can't believe that - how is it even possible that we are on Sub v9 and this is still happening? Not exclaiming just really doubting. Can someone else with a Noob clasp PLEASE confirm?

About actual operation of the clasp (after 30+ times of opening and closing with my thumb):

I'll break the operation into two parts:
1) the feel of flicking open/closing the safety clasp (top part with coronet);
2) the feel of closing or locking the main clasp.

Here is the interesting part. The ARF v1 clasp back in the day on my 116520 was EXACTLY like the gen in terms of operation, the rounded springy-ness, that gently pops when you flick open the safety clasp, or snap the clasp back into locking position is the same if not BETTER than my gen. The "better" is subjective to my own taste, and I say better because the clasp actually felt tighter and required a little more force to open/close in both operations 1) and 2), which to me was a feeling of extra security. But one could argue that Rolex engineered it to open/close at the right effortless force. To each his own.

Now in terms of operation 1), the ARF v2 clasp in the picture, was a deterioration from the ARF v1, in that the safety clasp (top part) doesn't open with the same kind of "rounded springy-ness", and was a little coarse. The noob was the same way but marginally worse, more coarse and flat. I opened and closed the two clasps at least 30 times like those testing machines at the Rolex factory (if you ever seen the video), with my eyes closed.

In operation 2, the actual "closing/locking" of the clasp, both ARF v2 and Noob are in the same department. I can't tell the difference, all very solid with a gentle click.

Guys, take this with a grain of salt, because I think some really bad QC factor is in play here. Some of you may get a clasp that's a lot better, and others will get something that's worse than what I had. But the visual differences, as portrayed in the photos, will stay the same.

Over and out.

Last edited:

old_man

Renowned Member
23/2/14
Yes , Noob lume are greener on the hands compared to ARF dial index,you can see it on one of your pics :
like i say, not a big deal, and it's pop up is some ocassion , but it's here :p

Thanks brother, I have the watch on my wrist, like you said it's there but small difference. But now let me just close my eyes for a few minutes and try to un-see that lol.

old_man

Renowned Member
23/2/14
Great review, another thing I'd add is the color difference vs gen and the SEL's.

Gen is more pure white while the ARF dial has a very slight eggshell color to it.
Next to eachother (gen vs noob case) the SEL's are close but not good enough imo.

The above remarks are only visible side by side though.

I replied earlier but having to think about it, I’d appreciate more clarification on the “vs. Gen” part. I don’t have access to gen, and the photo online are in a variety of tones of white depending on the lighting. For members who has the gen and the ARF/noob, how would you describe the difference in the tone of the white between gen vs. ARF/noob? Which one is closer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edgematic

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/08
Right is gen, left is modded noob with ARF dial, clean bezel, gen crystal, hands, pushers, crown, tube. As I mentioned before, ARF has a more eggshell tint to it.

old_man

Renowned Member
23/2/14
Right is gen, left is modded noob with ARF dial, clean bezel, gen crystal, hands, pushers, crown, tube. As I mentioned before, ARF has a more eggshell tint to it.

Confirmed, thanks for the beautiful photo!

Mark1937

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
25/3/17
GEN on natural light VS ARF on artificial light.
89ff694943f1d2873498aea85cd13872.jpg

Inviato dal mio SM-N950F utilizzando Tapatalk

acmcc

Supporter
Certified
3/4/14
I actually like the ARF "white" better than the gen ;)

I agree but it really depends on the colour temperature of the light, the image looks to be taken in daylight shade which may be around 6000-6200K so a little cooler than daylight white 5600K. Last time I looked at a gen it looked more neutral white than in the image above. I guess it depends on where you live! In the north the warmer tone of the ARF may look more appealing as more often the light is a cooler colour temperature... having said that most Rolex shops have wide mixture of dichoric reflected light sources (that's the ones that make them look sparkly) with all sorts of light temperature cross curves! :)

Reactions: webby48