• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Definitive 116500 ARF vs. Noob White Dial Comparison: In Search for the Best Daytona

Mark1937

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
25/3/17
I posted this question on the other Daytona Noob post but nobody answers me, I try here :-(

2 question:

1. I received my Noob V3 and in my opinion it is a new dial, subdials are not as fat as V1-V2 and they are not as thin as V2.2. In addition, the wording "Daytona" is no too much orange like previous versions (it is a bit far from the counter compared to the gen but I have seen original Daytona with different heights of the writing).
What do you think about it?

2. I also ordered a CF ring and ARF dial but given the comparison of the Noob with the gen I don't know if it is appropriate to replace the Noob dial with the ARF one, among other things the ARF dial seems to have the thinnest counters of the gen. For me the proportions of the dial are fundamental. Would you recommend installing the ARF dial or not?

a069ee571ba856cd7eb930c5001c029d.jpg

Last edited:

Rubberman

Forever young
Patron
Certified
9/12/17
What exactly are people buying into? The realistic expectations seems like an open ended comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My personal expectation (opinion) for a reps at "hundreds" price range is that it can never match the quality Gens priced at "thousands".
​​​​​​There are reasons why Gen is Gen, and rep can priced "so cheap" relative to Gen price.
​​Not to compare it in zoomed photos, on a screen, at least.

​​​​​​

nomana

Renowned Member
13/2/18
I posted this question on the other Daytona Noob post but nobody answers me, I try here :-(

2 question:

1. I received my Noob V3 and in my opinion it is a new dial, subdials are not as fat as V1-V2 and they are not as thin as V2.2. In addition, the wording "Daytona" is no too much orange like previous versions (it is a bit far from the counter compared to the gen but I have seen original Daytona with different heights of the writing).

2. I also ordered a CF ring and ARF dial but given the comparison of the Noob with the gen I don't know if it is appropriate to replace the Noob dial with the ARF one, among other things the ARF dial seems to have the thinnest counters of the gen. For me the proportions of the dial are fundamental. Would you recommend installing the ARF dial or not?

For the proportion, Noob v3 dial is so close to gen

Arf dial has better printing and finish

However, even with close up picture, noob is close enough.

Gen vs noob
e6613213fba8eef7f7960314e772a690.jpg

ssouthall6

10/10/13

2 question:

The thickness of the subdials in the white dial is a non entity, I answered why in the other thread

When you hold a gen you see there is a very thin ring around the outside that is from a very shiny material. Sometimes it can look a hair thinner, sometimes a hair thicker.

What noob have never corrected is the way ROLEX looks. This is why I can't use a noob dial. No rolex gen dial has ever had that configuration, it cannot be explained away, plus it looks very plastic compared to arf. Arf is still not perfect but better than noob.

Mark1937

Patron
Certified
25/3/17
If you look my picture you can see the "Rolex" Noob V3 is identical to gen. Noob white color is like to gen. I have Noob V3 and ARF dial and I don't know if I change or not. Noob V3 is very nice...
e152bee503be6860234a61b88430bb91.jpg

Inviato dal mio SM-N950F utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited:

mistermagoo

9/8/17
If you look my picture you can see the "Rolex" Noob V3 is identical to gen. Noob white color is like to gen. I have Noob V3 and ARF dial and I don't know if I change or not. Noob V3 is very nice...

How do you find the bezel and bracelet?

gpvecchi

4/7/12
e152bee503be6860234a61b88430bb91.jpg

Can you please post a profile photo of gen and Noob? I'm still convinced that prophile is wrong...

DrKF

Looking Around
21/12/19
Welcome, and if you study further I'm sure you will discover this section..

Please continue to read and understand what you buying into, and have a realistic expectations.

Thanks. I think the expectations (Noob base, ARF dial, CF bezel) are doable though expensive. And of course, i need a watchmaker who is willing to work on this. Thanks for the link!!!

ssouthall6

10/10/13
47cde2a9c64415b397696dc74a20f70d.jpg

Three recent v3 qc's and a gen

They still can't get the O right, it looks like a doughnut

O is thin on the top, thick at the sides in gen. Very clear on the bottom pic

bosaftw

6/6/16
Germany
My ARF V2 seems to have a very uncommon flaw. I think my rehaut engravings are sitting too high. What do you think?
And has anybody experienced this flaw on his ARF V2?

I received the watch like 2 weeks ago from puretime. Overall I really love the weight and gen feeling after a ballistol oil bath for the bracelet. Only the rotor has to be changed for a heavier 7750 rotor.

You can click on the picture to see in full resolution.

old_man

Renowned Member
23/2/14

My original write up is about build quality of the dial which definitively gives that gen feel. Again, if you have the ARF and Noob watches side by side in your hand, you'll notice it immediately. I've also done same ARF/Noob build for a few fellow members, and based on the feedback after they received their watches, the difference is much appreciated.

The black dial, on the other hand, is about accuracy, which I will do another thread to compare when I have time.

old_man

Renowned Member
23/2/14
The thickness of the subdials in the white dial is a non entity, I answered why in the other thread

When you hold a gen you see there is a very thin ring around the outside that is from a very shiny material. Sometimes it can look a hair thinner, sometimes a hair thicker.

What noob have never corrected is the way ROLEX looks. This is why I can't use a noob dial. No rolex gen dial has ever had that configuration, it cannot be explained away, plus it looks very plastic compared to arf. Arf is still not perfect but better than noob.

This is sharp insight my friend - I had noticed the outer edge of the subdial ring but didn't occur to me that contributed to the appearance. You must've spent quite some time staring at those dials LOL

old_man

Renowned Member
23/2/14
For the proportion, Noob v3 dial is so close to gen

Arf dial has better printing and finish

However, even with close up picture, noob is close enough.

Gen vs noob
e6613213fba8eef7f7960314e772a690.jpg

YT videos from WF and WatchBox use dispersed soft light sources when shooting, and that wipes away a lot of the differences in the metal. In actual day to day the Noob dial is just meh. An example to illustrate my point is a recent WatchBox video comparing seiko vs. Rolex, they look like the same level of polishing under those studio lighting.

ssouthall6

10/10/13
YT videos from WF and WatchBox use dispersed soft light sources when shooting, and that wipes away a lot of the differences in the metal. In actual day to day the Noob dial is just meh. An example to illustrate my point is a recent WatchBox video comparing seiko vs. Rolex, they look like the same level of polishing under those studio lighting.

Bang on.

And yes, I spent a long time on the daytonas. I was the same with the 16622 a few years ago. I replaced cases, dials, hands, bracelets....I have no allegiance to any model just because I bought that model, I mean today I wandered around NYC scrutinising them again just to make sure I wasn't talking shit, because this is the one rolex model I can't get a gen dial for.

d672d3a50ca82e4fa58b6f8fbd8968b7.jpg

7adcd98ab7cf4c42b51858e5fd56577c.jpg

0b0e09728cefdc4cc26b073ebffb8748.jpg
0b0e09728cefdc4cc26b073ebffb8748.jpg

a82a7a1fb9225c06a972ba10b6e4961c.jpg

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
An excellent thread with an amazing amount of detail and effort.

This will still be a debate for many, as realistically you would be roughly doubling the cost of a stock Noob Daytona to duplicate these results.

- Most people who have never compared a Noob and an ARF side by side, and in person are, and will be very happy with their Noobs.

- A much smaller number of Members who have compared a Noob and an ARF dial side by side, and in person, have decided that the extra expense and effort is well worth the effort

And some other small number who have had both will still settle for the stock noob regardless.

Reactions: p0pperini

M Scott

Renowned Member
22/9/18
My original write up is about build quality of the dial which definitively gives that gen feel. Again, if you have the ARF and Noob watches side by side in your hand, you'll notice it immediately. I've also done same ARF/Noob build for a few fellow members, and based on the feedback after they received their watches, the difference is much appreciated.

The black dial, on the other hand, is about accuracy, which I will do another thread to compare when I have time.

Please do a similar comparison for the Black Dial, as we don't have nearly as many really good comparisons as the White Panda Dials.