• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

{{ NOOB V3 Daytona vs Gen Daytona vs ARF V2 Daytona }}

Bobi01

Put Some Respect On My Name
2/2/19
Noob made this thin subdials only on white dial so they can sell more black dials lol

dom1986

Renowned Member
20/1/15
Hello guys,
I have a short question regardings the sub dials, my TD offered me the following watch,. I am worried, since I read so much about too thin dials that I am getting either paranoid, or are the sub dials really thin on this one? It is a noob v3 btw.

Too thin version, I passed one the other week received it and honestly the watch is fantastic but I sold as I couldn't be jacked switching the dial to an ARF. it's the only real tell on the watch, a big one though IMO.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

gravec

25/5/20
So does every v3 atm does have that problem?
This means u can´t get a decent clone rn....

MadWatcher

Known Member
20/3/19
That seems to be the case right now.

I got QC pics in March and it was still the correct size sub dials. At that time there was 2 different size sub dials V3, one gen like size and the other was thicker.

About a month later we started seeing the super thin sub dial V3 posted here and it hasn't stopped since.

tiktok43

Horology Curious
26/1/20
yep - current batch of white dial - has the super slim ones. Was also advised by TDs that black is ok currently

tiktok43

Horology Curious
26/1/20
yep - current batch of white dial - has the super slim ones. Was also advised by TDs that black is ok currently

M Scott

Renowned Member
22/9/18
Actually, no one has really gotten a replica 116500 Black Dial right yet.

The Gen 116520 Black Dials had Sub-dials that were almost as shinny as the Case and the Hands. This lack of contrast between the Hands and Sub-dials made the watch more difficult to read at a glance. So when the Black Dial 116500 was designed, Rolex made the Sub-dials thinner and gave them more of a matte silver finish.

- The Noob V1 and V2 Black Dials both had Sub-dials that were way too thick and too shinny.
- The V2.2 Black Dials had Sub-dials that were about the thickness of a Gen 116520 and just as shinny. Better, but still wrong.
- Some Noob V3s have the old thick Sub-dialed V1-V2 Black Dials. A step back and really wrong.
- The latest V3 (V3.2?) does finally have the correct Sub-dial thickness, but they are still much too shinny as described above.

- The ARF V1 and V2 Black Dials have more of a matte silver finish than the Noobs, but they are still slightly shinier than a Gen.
- The ARF 116500 Black Dial Sub-dials are also slightly thicker than a Gen.

A Genuine 116500 Panda, 116520 White Dial, and 116520 Black Dial have Sub-dials that are all the same thickness.
Only the 116500 Ceramic Bezel Black Dial has slightly thinner Sub-dials that these other three Gen Daytonas.

Mark1937

Patron
Certified
25/3/17
M Scott you are the best! You are the guru!

Now Noob is mounting the same dial on both the black 116500 and the black 116520.
Compared to mine (V3s which right thickness counters) Noob produced the new Dial 116500/116520 with the more mirrored counters.
Result:
- 116520 mirrored right but thickness and written font wrong.
- 116500 thickness and written font right but really too mirrored counters.
In addition, counter at 3 o'clock has the correct font only for 116520.

Last edited:

xgeryx

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/4/19
Hi guys,

First of all, M Scott much appreciated for your time and effort put into this thread!

Now, I see that the dial correctness is lengthily discussed, but not so much the case and bracelet.

I’m looking to buy either a 116520 or 116500LN as a base for a modern vintage mod. As such I’m not so concerned about the dial per se. However I’m definitely interested in case work, bezel, pushers, crown etc. So everything else than the dial.

With that in mind which factory should I consider the most?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
If you want the 4130 i think you need the noob case, is very hard to fit the movement in the ARF one

After almost 2 years my noob serviced works amazing, with great accuracy

I highly recommend that movement !

Reactions: srhoque and xgeryx

xgeryx

11/4/19
If you want the 4130 i think you need the noob case, is very hard to fit the movement in the ARF one

After almost 2 years my noob serviced works amazing, with great accuracy

I highly recommend that movement !

Thanks good advice! How are the pushers, crown, bezel and the bracelet measure up? Noob is the best choice?

srhoque

28/11/18
Thanks good advice! How are the pushers, crown, bezel and the bracelet measure up? Noob is the best choice?

Noob v3 for all the items that you asked is fine. However CF Bezel is better because Noob font colors is a bit on the bright/white side. Pushers and crown- no issues that I have heard.

Post COVID v3 bracelets and SEL fitment are great quality, have gotten 2 since then and both are superb. I am pretty sure Noob changed suppliers. However ARF clasp is still better. If you have the Rolex bracelet tool, you can keep Noob SEL and switch to ARF bracelet or build a Hybrid bracelet (Noob SEL + permanent links and ARF clasp + screwable links). Then send it to jonj80 for refinishing/lubing the bracelet. It will look and feel almost gen-like at that point.

Reactions: xgeryx

Mark1937

Patron
Certified
25/3/17
Noob v3 for all the items that you asked is fine. However CF Bezel is better because Noob font colors is a bit on the bright/white side. Pushers and crown- no issues that I have heard.

Post COVID v3 bracelets and SEL fitment are great quality, have gotten 2 since then and both are superb. I am pretty sure Noob changed suppliers. However ARF clasp is still better. If you have the Rolex bracelet tool, you can keep Noob SEL and switch to ARF bracelet or build a Hybrid bracelet (Noob SEL + permanent links and ARF clasp + screwable links). Then send it to jonj80 for refinishing/lubing the bracelet. It will look and feel almost gen-like at that point.

+1
Noob V3 sel and permanent links + ARF screwable links and clasp

Reactions: xgeryx and srhoque

Bobi01

2/2/19
I pulled the thrigger from trusty this time for v3 black dial because white is zenith-like at the moment..hoping for good SEL fitment and better clasp batch

Reactions: srhoque and xgeryx

xgeryx

11/4/19
I pulled the thrigger from trusty this time for v3 black dial because white is zenith-like at the moment..hoping for good SEL fitment and better clasp batch

Share some photos and a short review once arrived

Reactions: Bobi01

ssouthall6

10/10/13
Having owned about 20 daytonas including about 6 noob, arf, handled and installed countless gen parts including dials, bezels, pushers, crystals etc, I have finally come to a probably unpopular conclusion.

The CF bezel, whilst the most accurate and durable of all of the bezels out there, is not perfect, in fact, it's far from it.

The lettering is too big. It should leave a gap of around 10% either side between the top and the outer edge and the bottom and the crystal edge. The gap is around 5%. This makes the lettering look a touch elongated.

I think CF needs a v2 to be honest.

James2020

1/6/20
Having owned about 20 daytonas including about 6 noob, arf, handled and installed countless gen parts including dials, bezels, pushers, crystals etc, I have finally come to a probably unpopular conclusion.

The CF bezel, whilst the most accurate and durable of all of the bezels out there, is not perfect, in fact, it's far from it.

The lettering is too big. It should leave a gap of around 10% either side between the top and the outer edge and the bottom and the crystal edge. The gap is around 5%. This makes the lettering look a touch elongated.

I think CF needs a v2 to be honest.

Thanks for sharing.

In your opinion, is it worthwhile to upgrade a ARF bezel (V2) to a CF one?