• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Scenario: Build the perfect Rep Sub

HWatch

Known Member
19/3/19
Hi,

So, im exploring the option for fun to build "the best" rep Submariner, not using gen parts as a franken project. But to use different parts from reps which is consider the most "genlike"(or if you want, less flaws)
I have been searching the forums and only found this thread: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...erfect-franken-rolex-submariner-daytona/page2
but it didnt help me that much since its main focus is gen aprts and also the Daytona.

So, picture the scenario that you have a watchmaker who is up to the task of building it for you - no probs what so ever. What are the different parts from what factory and why? :)

Im seriously consider doing something like this, but maybe this also could be a great place for people who have bought ex. 116610 LN Black Ceramic ZZF and is looking to have another part installed and doesnt know what is the "go-to" factory to source a dial... Just as an example.

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
Do i smell an incognito „who has the best sub“ thread?

Every pro and cons of each available version are perfectly described through the years mate - it is of course confusing to have so much information but at one point one have to start.

It seems that you already read into the topic - so i would go on to determine what is „the best“ regarding you personal preferences.

Reactions: stufuse

HWatch

Known Member
19/3/19
Do i smell an incognito „who has the best sub“ thread?

Every pro and cons of each available version are perfectly described through the years mate - it is of course confusing to have so much information but at one point one have to start.

It seems that you already read into the topic - so i would go on to determine what is „the best“ regarding you personal preferences.

Haha. Im sorry if that’s the go to thought on this thread.

I genuinely tried to get a overall “go to spot with” the knowledge on parts since (as you say)it’s Out there if you’d be willing to go knee deep.
And since I’m thinking of doing the project maybe I’ll spend the time it takes and write a summary thread :)

If the general consensus is that this is a trash thread I urge a mod to delete it ????

Sent from the RWI App

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
Not a trash thread - if there are some knowledgeable guys out their willing to share their insights this thread can be helpful.

Anyway i recommend to go knee deep and even deeper into the void ;)

cassapanca

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/12/16
I think that the most simple way, whitout going on gen parts, is to buy an arf and add a clean factory bezel and a prof blackhole crystal..

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: sn95

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18
Arf bracelet, prof crystal, arf instert, noob case.

elro2k

Looking Around
28/10/17
I'm on the same page. Finding all the best rep parts and building a watch would be a pretty fun project for sure.

ARF would probably be the best base, since it seems to have a better insert and hands than a NOOB. However NOOB has a better case. Either way you'd probably want to put an ETA in there since some of the movements these Sub Reps come with aren't the best. (Or so I've read)

Reactions: KJ2020

shortlegs

31/5/19
If ZZF fixed their dial issue, I think it will be pretty much not worth it to franken rep parts together.

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
People do this all the time. There are probably 4 or 5 subs in the M2M section each week that are put together exactly this way.

Case from one factory, crystal from another, hands from another, dial from another, insert from another. Some even go so far as to use an insert from one, but pearl or pip from another.

But it's still subject to interpretation and opinion because you can ask 5 people to make their ideal sub of the best non-gen parts and you will get 5 drastically different configurations.

Go to the WTB and post that you want a Franken sub and people that will DM you offering to build you one exactly the way you want. Either to their "ideal specifications" or to yours.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

alfonzo

25/7/19
This is exactly what drove me here, the desire to go so far down the rabbit hole as to be obnoxious! So my friend here is my just completed build and everything that went into it. I hope this helps you on your journey.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...n-build-thread

P.S. You can't build the perfect Sub with non-gen parts. There is always a tell in the Rep parts. I would argue that if you just want a rep get a rep. As stated above the most popular from a rep perspective would be:

Noob V9 case
ARF bracelet
Prof Crystal (If he still exists)
Noob Dial
ARF hands
Clean insert

Last edited: