• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ginault OR II ceramic insert

cwfmon

Renowned Member
5/11/16
Is it technically possible that the new ceramic insert for the Ginault Ocean Rover II is an ARF SD43 insert? Could the ARF insert fit Ginault’s 16610 clone case/bezel or did Ginault have to manufacture the ceramic insert from scratch. Here are pics:

19a37aea736964c0a7d8ab77c593821a.jpg

9d569a1cf9ca3fab464dbf493d1f7442.jpg

18cd9e95ed1da0fba2a33884a7206406.jpg
351dc148f175e10fb5ed1681d41353e5.jpg
7ada2df53123465dd89c8256983bd7f3.jpg
2062b72ea0af9a9a2ca84a78c6664877.jpg

Last edited:

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/7/15
Nasty crack in it too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hence the question I'm sure. What are the measurements of your insert? I can measure the ARF SD43 insert for you if you need that.

cwfmon

Renowned Member
5/11/16
Hence the question I'm sure. What are the measurements of your insert? I can measure the ARF SD43 insert for you if you need that.

That would be great, please do. I don’t yet have the OR II. They start delivering in October. I’ll measure he aluminum insert on my OR I tonight and report back. The new ceramic insert should be very close in size. In fact it will be very close to any gen 16610 insert. So the question is, is the 16610 insert the same size, or close, to the SD43 insert?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
That would be great, please do. I don’t yet have the OR II. They start delivering in October. I’ll measure he aluminum insert on my OR I tonight and report back. The new ceramic insert should be very close in size. In fact it will be very close to any gen 16610 insert. So the question is, is the 16610 insert the same size, or close, to the SD43 insert?

Oh, no the SD43 is a much larger watch than the Sub so the inserts are not going to be interchangeable.

Gen 5 digit aluminum inserts (with a few exceptions) are 30.6mm / 37.6mm
Gen 6 digit ceramic inserts are 30.8mm / 38.0mm
The ARF SD43 ceramic insert is 31.6mm / 40.0mm

These measurements are all +/- .1 or .2mm I have 2 gen 5 digit aluminum inserts that differ by .1mm

Get2thechopper

Known Member
19/9/18
Hello sorry to drag up a old post, but would a Ceramic 116600 SD4K insert do the job? It would great if I could find out.

Thanks

Get2thechopper

Known Member
19/9/18
Yes, it’s a 116600 insert on the ORv2

Brilliant Need to Source one now, I don’t like the Ginault insert as the triangle is too large, a noob insert with a plate mod will do the trick.

Thanks for your help

exia78

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/2/14
Yes, it’s a 116600 insert on the ORv2

Do you know for sure? Or this is just a guess?

I highly doubt the ORII's ceramic insert is the same spec as the 116600 as the ORII's bezel size and ratio maintains in the 5-digit realm. Although both at 40mm, the ceramic insert for the 116600 does not fit the bezel assembly of the 16610

Get2thechopper

Known Member
19/9/18
Do you know for sure? Or this is just a guess?

I highly doubt the ORII's ceramic insert is the same spec as the 116600 as the ORII's bezel size and ratio maintains in the 5-digit realm. Although both at 40mm, the ceramic insert for the 116600 does not fit the bezel assembly of the 16610

I think I will wait until I know for sure, as you say it is a 5 digit bezel with 6 digit assembly clicksprings, I think I will keep the aluminium insert on for now but I do fancy a change

gareth

20/11/10
Resurrecting this thread... does anyone know if these Ginault Ceramic watches will take genuine Rolex inserts (or replica inserts) from the popular sports models e.g. Submariner, GMT etc.

If any Ginault owners out there have tried this I'd be interested in knowing the answer.

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
That case would make a lovely 16610. Look at those crown guards!!!
Z8nr8I.webp

Last edited:

gareth

20/11/10
Thanks guys, I think I might buy one - it's an absolutely stunning watch and I really like the Ginault brand.

They are doing a blue ceramic bezel version too but I've yet to see a photo of that online so that must be a brand new release coming soon. It's likely going to be like the Rolex white gold smurf which will prob look great too.

The only thing they're lacking in their lineup is a GMT.. I'd like to build a GMT with one of these cases if the movement and handstack would fit inside it. Worth a try!

Usernametaken

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
31/5/18
Thanks guys, I think I might buy one - it's an absolutely stunning watch and I really like the Ginault brand.

They are doing a blue ceramic bezel version too but I've yet to see a photo of that online so that must be a brand new release coming soon. It's likely going to be like the Rolex white gold smurf which will prob look great too.

The only thing they're lacking in their lineup is a GMT.. I'd like to build a GMT with one of these cases if the movement and handstack would fit inside it. Worth a try!

I had the ceramic bezel smurf lume model. I had worn it maybe 3 times and Was sent back for bezel tightness and numerals flaking. issues. When I got it back the bezel was out of alignment and there were marks on the case perfectly symmetrical on each side. Later they had more bezel issues and following they’re Facebook found that they were replacing bezels for the flaking issues again, “but this time they found the issue” I asked about sending it back and the marks and they told me In a long and elaborate series of messages that I was offensive and there’s no way it was them, and that they would tell me if the bezel was out of alignment. Ya sold next day, thought it was a neat idea but nope no thank you.

gareth

20/11/10
I had the ceramic bezel smurf lume model. I had worn it maybe 3 times and Was sent back for bezel tightness and numerals flaking. issues. When I got it back the bezel was out of alignment and there were marks on the case perfectly symmetrical on each side. Later they had more bezel issues and following they’re Facebook found that they were replacing bezels for the flaking issues again, “but this time they found the issue” I asked about sending it back and the marks and they told me In a long and elaborate series of messages that I was offensive and there’s no way it was them, and that they would tell me if the bezel was out of alignment. Ya sold next day, thought it was a neat idea but nope no thank you.

Yeah, I've read others had problems too with the flaking, although the YouTube videos seem to positively glow with recommendations on the quality of the watch so maybe they've fixed the issues.

I don't suppose you took a photo of your watch did you? I haven't been able to find a single shot on the internet of this particular model!!

Cheers

Usernametaken

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
31/5/18
It was a real nice watch, my opinion, the bad.. the 3,6,9 markers are far more pronounced than the rest like some reps, the fold over on the clasp isn’t right, you can’t get your fingernail under it. The good: black hole is best I’ve seen, SEL perfect, finishing is great, lume is far from blue chroma light but has an interesting color and is very bright and winding is butter but it’s a sellita. It just seems small but I’ve been wearing an ARF maxi case for years.

Duckber

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/19
I had a Ginault OR2 that I sent back for a refund. One thing, one side of the SEL was higher than the rest which is rare as no one else had that issue. Getting that fixed would have been 3 months they told me. Then the lume pip was flaking. I decided to get a refund after that. Also this is subjective but the minute markers around the insert for such a small watch relative to the SD makes it look ridiculously busy and not as sleek IMO. Also the minute markers on the dial being replaced by some text on the bottom looks stupid. If you're not into reps its a solid buy, but a VSF 116610 is better for less than half the price.

Last edited: