• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Swap your CHS movement to ICHS - Is it possible?

itgoes211

10/4/19
Thank you. I installed a gen bezel insert and a Clark crystal with AR on the cyclops so I think it looks better than a stock noob with CHS, IMHO.

Very nice work - looks great, especially that xtal with AR. Do you happen to have the stock/model number for xtal? Where’d you pick it up?
thanks and cheers

guybythelake

13/7/14
Very nice work - looks great, especially that xtal with AR. Do you happen to have the stock/model number for xtal? Where’d you pick it up?
thanks and cheers

I picked it up from an other member here. You can find it on ebay. Mine is for submariner and fits perfect.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
thanks and cheers

Link for the Clark 25-295C with AR cyclops bro. I've used 3-4 of them. I like them. I asked Gary where the AR is, he said it's between the crystal and the cyclops. That's good because it can't get scratched off there. It's not a black hole Prof crystal but a decent step up from some rep crystals at a great price. Good for Subs and GMTs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-295-C-29...oAAOSws65Tpec4

Last edited:
Reactions: itgoes211

TidusKun

Renowned Member
28/9/19
R Factory
So my noob V10 BLNR crapped out yesterday... Having read all of KJ's threads on GMT reps a few days ago I really should have stopped wearing it and using the jumping hand.

Hour hand now moves smoothly (no jumps) when winding in position 2 but otherwise its a non-functional hand. Still can change the date with it though. Seconds, minute, GMT hand work fine. So it still could function as a watch I guess.

Are there any EU based watchmakers who provide this CHS to ICHS service? No experience or tools myself, I'd rather not attempt anything above changing bracelet links for now! I checked the watchmaker section and none mention this specific swap. Any help or direction would be great, thanks all.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
So my noob V10 BLNR crapped out yesterday... Having read all of KJ's threads on GMT reps a few days ago I really should have stopped wearing it and using the jumping hand.

Hour hand now moves smoothly (no jumps) when winding in position 2 but otherwise its a non-functional hand. Still can change the date with it though. Seconds, minute, GMT hand work fine. So it still could function as a watch I guess.

Are there any EU based watchmakers who provide this CHS to ICHS service? No experience or tools myself, I'd rather not attempt anything above changing bracelet links for now! I checked the watchmaker section and none mention this specific swap. Any help or direction would be great, thanks all.

Any watchmaker can do this swap bro. You should refer to the table in my post regarding what is needed. You should start looking for and sourcing the movement and hands you will need depending on what you decide to use ETA or DG.

Reactions: TidusKun

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
Palm Beach
216750 hands whether for the black or white dial version are not available anywhere aftermarket that I know of. Here are some options:

Source them from a TD - This would be difficult as the 2836 versions are pretty rare anymore and may well be out of production. It was recently reported that TD Asian 7750 has them.

Buy a cheap DHGate one and use the two hands you need off it. The GMT hand hole size on the DG2813/DG3804 is the same as the 2836 (2.0mm). The hour hand hole size on the DG is 1.52mm the ETA is 1.50mm. That's close enough, if can just be pinched a little.

Buy a DHGate one and use the DG movement and entire set of hands either with its dial or swap your dial in. Will need feet changed and maybe DWO but entirely feasible.

The 2824 CHS movement IS repairable, I've repaired several. I'll be putting up a tutorial on how to do it soon. Maybe some other forum watchmakers and hobbyists will join in doing it. I am not taking any work now. Look toward the end of this post.

Why CHS GMT movements fail
Three years after, are these still the options for a 216750 black?

I have the whole timebomb movement but I just don't have the ability to make the support arm.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Three years after, are these still the options for a 216750 black?

I have the whole timebomb movement but I just don't have the ability to make the support arm.
I think a switch to ICHS is the best option now. The silver hands should be much easier to find now - all the H/M/S hands have common ETA hole sizes - any 6 digit ETA GMT or SD maxi hands should work if you are OK with no black roots. And a 2.0mm GMT hand should not be hard to find. You really only need the hour and GMT hands though matching lume may be an issue if you mix hand sets.

Last edited:

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
Palm Beach
I think a switch to ICHS is the best option now. The silver hands should be much easier to find now - all the H/M/S hands have common ETA hole sizes - any 6 digit ETA GMT or SD maxi hands should work if you are OK with no black roots. And a 2.0mm GMT hand should not be hard to find. You really only need the hour and GMT hands though matching lume may be an issue if you mix hand sets.
I figure. I bought a 1655 set for the GMT hand but its just too short in length. I probably might broach the CHS gmt hand if I don’t find a good enough GMT.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
These too, but would not be accurate.

Yeah just saw this elsewhere. You could use the 3804 GMT hand, same 2.0mm.
Black hole surround would be of no real consequence to me on a black dial.

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $8.40 30%OFF | Black Watch Hands Accessories Fit NH34 NH35 NH36 Miyota 8215 821A DG 2813 3804 Orange GMT Hand

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
Palm Beach
Yeah just saw this elsewhere. You could use the 3804 GMT hand, same 2.0mm.
Black hole surround would be of no real consequence to me on a black dial.

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $8.40 30%OFF | Black Watch Hands Accessories Fit NH34 NH35 NH36 Miyota 8215 821A DG 2813 3804 Orange GMT Hand
I ended up buying the set on eBay, they had an option for 2836 hands. It seems most, if not all of these sellers, have access to the same hands or maybe they're the same sellers. Will report back when they come in.

I wouldn't have an issue with all black hands on a black 216570 or even mixing up with the ICHS handset. I've lost my ability to be picky about those things I cannot control. LOL

Reactions: KJ2020

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
Palm Beach
Finally got the hand set and here it is. Decided to mix and match, specially since the ordered handset did not have a long second hand pinion post.

Hs2sIb.jpeg

Just ordered some more case clamps since the extra long ones were not provided on this fixer-upper.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Finally got the hand set and here it is. Decided to mix and match, specially since the ordered handset did not have a long second hand pinion post.

Hs2sIb.jpeg

Just ordered some more case clamps since the extra long ones were not provided on this fixer-upper.
Oh yeah that works bro. IDK why these models don't get more love in the gen world. I like them a lot.