• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

NOOB Pepsi GMT 126710 BLRO mini review

clayj

Horology Curious
4/5/19
I don't agree with the best insert statement. It may be the highest quality insert, but colours are off. Blue doesn't have any shade of purple when it should, and red doesn't have any shade of pink when it should. There is not a single gen picture that you'll find out there that is even remotely close to this insert. The only exception is the single one presented in this thread as a side by side, and it's coming from guess who? Noob itself. I really don't understand you guys.

Got your point mate, can we agree that is the best pepsi REP insert in the market (of REP) right now? Better than GMF, DJF, BP ? Which doesn’t necessarily means that is close to GEN.

Of course, nothing can be compared to GEN and it wasn’t my intention to state anything about that.

Also what I would trigger here isn’t just about the insert but the overall quality of the watch in the eyes of gmt experts.

Let’s give a pass to the insert for a moment, what are the other flaws?

Itto

Bizzarro Superman
Patron
Certified
26/9/17
The 9th gate
Even in your example you can see exactly what I'm saying: there is no shade of purple in the blue, it's just dark blue, and there's no shade of pink in the red, it's just dark red.

If this is the case and if noob's insert is made of one piece of ceramic, then Noob actually managed to create the insert that rolex always wanted to create. Impressive.

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
If this is the case and if noob's insert is made of one piece of ceramic, then Noob actually managed to create the insert that rolex always wanted to create. Impressive.

I'm pretty sure that Rolex, with the amount of money that they invest in R&D, can produce the inserts in the exact colour that they choose

Reactions: Stevo85

Itto

Bizzarro Superman
Patron
Certified
26/9/17
The 9th gate
I'm pretty sure that Rolex, with the amount of money that they invest in R&D, can produce the inserts in the exact colour that they choose

It's not that easy - as there are limitations with the material.

Quote watchtime.com:
​"​​ From 1959 to 2007, Rolex produced the bezel in aluminum with colors created using an anodizing process. This was followed by a zirconium-oxide ceramic track (and the related problems with the color). Mineral pigments can be added to color the material, but there is no mineral pigment that can produce a saturated red color. After years of research, Rolex returned to ceramic with an aluminum-oxide basis and added chromium oxide, magnesium oxide, and a rare earth oxide. This resulted in the red ceramic bezel we have today. For the blue color, half of the bezel is impregnated with a metallic salt solution prior to the sintering process. You can see the blue layer on top of the red background using a loupe. Sintering at 1,600 degrees Celsius for more than 24 hours results in the final colors."

And a fun video:

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
It's not that easy - as there are limitations with the material.

Quote watchtime.com:
​"​​ From 1959 to 2007, Rolex produced the bezel in aluminum with colors created using an anodizing process. This was followed by a zirconium-oxide ceramic track (and the related problems with the color). Mineral pigments can be added to color the material, but there is no mineral pigment that can produce a saturated red color. After years of research, Rolex returned to ceramic with an aluminum-oxide basis and added chromium oxide, magnesium oxide, and a rare earth oxide. This resulted in the red ceramic bezel we have today. For the blue color, half of the bezel is impregnated with a metallic salt solution prior to the sintering process. You can see the blue layer on top of the red background using a loupe. Sintering at 1,600 degrees Celsius for more than 24 hours results in the final colors."

And a fun video:

Interesting I didn't know thanks for sharing. I suppose that it's easier for Noob given that they manufacture their inserts in 2 halves that they put together, hence the small bump that can still be seen in the 6 insert marker

Reactions: KJ2020

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18

with the 5 digit kermit subs there were like 5 different insert colors

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Interesting I didn't know thanks for sharing. I suppose that it's easier for Noob given that they manufacture their inserts in 2 halves that they put together, hence the small bump that can still be seen in the 6 insert marker

Good point bro. It does appear these are not one piece

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
In the video, I kept waiting for an explanation of how "we've fixed it" but none was offered. So I guess it was just photoshopping, wishful thinking.

Nice presentation of the process nonetheless.

m5smg2

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
23/8/07
would you mind take picture for side of watch for crystal height view?

Here you go

e8a08953ba8ffb01518767676f2ba42b.jpg
235aa9115543c5bddcbb9dfec766deda.jpg

m5smg2

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
23/8/07
Here’s some more. I can’t see any brown at any light. In low light it’s a dark red. Also there Ceramic has many reflections because it’s glossy and effects the color at some angles.

fe38e1fe65a31b4fb0ac1ea983067748.jpg
bc80755ab3d4f85e9393aca55e2be409.jpg

m5smg2

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
23/8/07

I wish. It looks like a 2 piece bezel like Batman before. But this time Noob did much better with the joints. You really have to look hard for the “ speed bump”

751b3ebd83403bb7902c71c107371f5e.jpg

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
Completely agree, I see no brown at all. It is remarkable how different the insert looks from one pic to the next. Almost like having two watches. Sigh, I told my wife I would quit at 30 reps but I'm past that and she doesn't know, haha. Now I want THIS at how much!?
Same! Just have to sell other watches...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
Completely agree, I see no brown at all. It is remarkable how different the insert looks from one pic to the next. Almost like having two watches. Sigh, I told my wife I would quit at 30 reps but I'm past that and she doesn't know, haha. Now I want THIS at how much!?
If one were to put a gen crystal, datewheel and round the indices... perfect

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020