• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Removal of extension link of SD43...

pm-guy

Supporter
Certified
10/5/14
Hi All

Got myself a V3 of the ARF SD43, and tried removing the extension link from the bracelet.
It seems that this particular screw is unmovable at all...

Any bros have the same issue?

And any suggestions on how to remove this extension link?

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
I got a noob like 8 months ago or so and when I got it, I was kind of having the same issue and that’s why I started posting here in the first place. I did a search and found a thread which helped but I don’t remember which it was but maybe the search feature can help you.

Also, not too long ago, I got the ARF V3 and the clasp really is slightly better so figured I’d swap them out but I’m having the same problem. I can’t get that divelink screw to budge at all. I keep planning to search and soak the fucker in a lubricant but I just haven’t had time. So I will be keeping an eye on his thread to try to finally figure out how to remove the clasp. But yes, the ARF is much harder to remove then the noob.

Good luck but its nice to know know I am not alone.

pm-guy

Supporter
Certified
10/5/14
Likewise, its great to know I am not alone...

I have tried applying lots of WD40 on top of this f*&@#+g screw, left it overnight - tried my luck in the morning without any success!

:picard2:

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
1.6mm hollow ground screwdriver - a real one like Bergeon, not a cheapie. Get the bracelet in a vice with a towell wrapped around it. Grab the screwdriver with a pair of pliers for extra torque and twist that sucker out.

Reactions: Giorgioversace

Hazing

9/5/19
1.6mm hollow ground screwdriver - a real one like Bergeon, not a cheapie. Get the bracelet in a vice with a towell wrapped around it. Grab the screwdriver with a pair of pliers for extra torque and twist that sucker out.
I have a 1.6mm Bergeon screwdriver and this fucker is in there. I got my ARF SD M2M but it still had the stickers and wrapping on it and I even contacted the previous owner to ask if he put on loctite or something. He said he did not.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Probably going to have to cut it out. Vise mounted dremel with cutting disc. Leave yourself room on the threaded end to get a good grip to unthread the stuck part.

15689230251492.jpg

Replacement screws available on Ebay or Ali Express. I can post a link later if you need it

Hazing

9/5/19
Probably going to have to cut it out. Vise mounted dremel with cutting disc. Leave yourself room on the threaded end to get a good grip to unthread the stuck part.

15689230251492.jpg

Replacement screws available on Ebay or Ali Express. I can post a link later if you need it
I'm pulling this up on my phone but It looks like that dive extension link is in rough shape. Is that from cutting it?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I'm pulling this up on my phone but It looks like that dive extension link is in rough shape. Is that from cutting it?

Yes that's post cut. After the cut I pulled the extension links off and unthreaded the stripped and glued link screw with vice grips.

pm-guy

Supporter
Certified
10/5/14
I have a 1.6mm Bergeon screwdriver and this fucker is in there. I got my ARF SD M2M but it still had the stickers and wrapping on it and I even contacted the previous owner to ask if he put on loctite or something. He said he did not.

Same here, am using a 1.6mm Bergeon screwdriver and this shit is stuck!
Contemplating sending back to TD to request ARF to take out this screw!

Reactions: Hazing

pm-guy

Supporter
Certified
10/5/14

15689230251492.jpg

Hmm...
Thanks for the suggestions, probably will not take this route to cut it out.

Am beginning to think ARF use loctite or something to glue this screw!!
And only they will know what's the rationale for doing so....

pm-guy

Supporter
Certified
10/5/14
Have not hear of this or try before...
Heating which end?

Hazing

9/5/19
What about heating with a lighter like suggested for gen ?
I wouldn't use a lighter. Try a blow dryer. I've been meaning to do this as my next step.

Hazing

9/5/19
Have not hear of this or try before...
Heating which end?
The Threaded end. With some lubrication as well.

Or you can take it to a watch shop. Many should have a tool that can take out a stripped out or seized in screw.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Pretty sure mine was epoxied in. If you look closely at the threads on my pic above, you can see they were badly stripped. Getting it out even when I had access to most of the shank was not easy. Acetone soaking is the best "safe" way to dissolve glue, including epoxy. I tried that but when the fluid can't physically reach the points of contact between the threads it can't work.

There is a drill bit tool called an "Easy Out" with which you can drill into a stuck screw. It has reverse threads that unscrews the stuck screw while it sinks into it. But finding one small enough and strong enough to drill into a mangled steel screw head is not likely. I did look for one. Even if a jeweler has one, I doubt it would overcome the epoxy bond on the other end.

Cutting the links off is quick work with a dremel and metal cutting disc. Maybe practice first on a piece of scrap metal like a thick washer, etc. Hold the links in vice grips, wear gloves, aim and cut. About 15 minutes later the bracelet is back together minus the extension links.

I had to cut out a jubilee link for the same reason, that took some real care because each link is 5 separate parts. The single SD43 cut is very straightforward.

15670841934379.jpg

15670841933718.jpg

deltatango

Horology Curious
1/2/20
I’m glad to know this problem isn’t just me. I did a good job twisting the tip of my screwdriver and chewing up the head of the screw before searching here.

Is there an alternative clasp we can use? Could a regular glide lock clamp without dive extension be substituted?

mike_hk2ksk

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/11/19
OP. I surprisingly had a very good experience removing the screw. My AR SD43 arrived less than 2 weeks ago. I removed the bracelet and gave it an oil bath. I was sceptical of the oil-bath benefits, but did it anyway. I don't have any watch tools in my possession, so I used a 1.5mm quality German screwdriver I have for other purposes. The screw came out smoothly. It was a surprise as my previous experience removing a link from ZZF Sub No date was much more disappointing.
9kFxJ.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

deltatango

Horology Curious
1/2/20
Good to know you were able to extract it without trouble. I didn’t use an oil bath.

The other idea I was thinking could work is heating up the screw with the tip of a soldering iron. Using a flame source would probably work too but I don’t want to heat stain too many parts of I can avoid it.

deltatango

Horology Curious
1/2/20
I can confirm the heating with an iron appeared to help. I’m using a 1.8x40 Wiha screwdriver and fought it mighty last week. Just now heated it up a bit and spent time working the screw back and forth in both directions to try and break things up. Once I got it out the threaded screw end looked different than the rest of the links. This watch is about as big as I would go for my own wrist and I have done quite a bit of fiddling around on the fit. The screw in question had some residual glue or loctite.

End result is a stubborn screw but a much better and more comfortable fit on my wrist. You’re mileage may vary.