• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Purchase AND return of a noob sub that was broken. And now, a loose bezel

haggle_

Known Member
29/6/18
So I bought a Submariner 114060 LN Black Ceramic V7 1:1 Noob Best Edition A2836 from my TD in the beginning of july 2018. Everything went fine and I received the watch about a month after I paid for it.

However, after just six weeks the watch started to work badly. It sometimes stopped although I had it on my wrist constantly. Therefore, on 30 September 2018 I left it to a watchmaker for service. A couple of weeks later the watchmaker informed me that the watch was broken and could not be repaired. The only option would be to switch to an ETA movement, but that would be more expensive than the watch itself. I therefore asked the watchmaker to check the watch again and get back to me with more information about the problems with the watch, so that I could check if my TD might send me any spare parts. They checked the watch again, and then explained to me that the balance was not working properly and that parts connected to the balance was badly assembled so that those parts had been excessively worn, and this had caused the watch to stop. And that they did not have any spare parts that could fix it.

I therefore contacted my TD and was asked me to send the watch back, which I did.
After the TD received the watch I got the following e-mail: “The factory just informed me they found that your watch was disasembled before and the dial, hands and movement need to be replaced the new one, total cost is $120 at a premium price, please let me know shall we continue for the repair?”

I then answered the following “The watch stopped working and that is the reason I left it to the professional watchmaker. According to the watchmaker, the movement had been worn down beacause of bad assembly, and I am confident that is true, and therefore I think the factory should repair it without cost. However, if they won't do that and my option to get the watch fixed is for me to pay $120 I will do that.”

I then got the following answer: “I will split the cost with you, I don’t want you pay all the cost, so you just pay me $80 and I will buy a new movement and get it installed for you.”

I don’t know if it was the right decision, but I accepted this and got my watch back a couple of months later, in the beginning of may 2019, and it worked well. Now it has worked well about four months. However, today I noticed the next problem, namely that the bezel is loose, I have uploaded two videos here (don’t forget to turn on the sound):

https://imgur.com/a/29rNee3

Feel free to comment on this story and/or give advice on how to do with the loose bezel.

I have also e-mailed my TD and asked for advice.

Asmodeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/4/15
The bezel is fine. You've got a spring operated rotating bezel, not a welded one.

hung123

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
13/8/19
Thanks for posting your story. At the first sign of trouble, I personally would have opted to have my watchmaker replace the entire ETA movement with a new one vs servicing the defective Asian movement or sending back to the TD.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

haggle_

Known Member
29/6/18
Thanks for posting your story. At the first sign of trouble, I personally would have opted to have my watchmaker replace the entire ETA movement with a new one vs servicing the defective Asian movement or sending back to the TD.

Good idea, I'll do that next time. Thanks for the advice.

B21

Horology Curious
30/6/20

hey gents

any idea on how I find a replacement part for this ?

thanks in advance

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17

hey gents

any idea on how I find a replacement part for this ?

thanks in advance

Ask your TD. It’s that simple and there is no better answer. Stop asking the same question and stop necrobumping dead threads.

Reactions: deadpan

B21

Horology Curious
30/6/20
Well sorrry for asking a question you angry little man. You have a good day