• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to remove and replace a Ceramic Daytona bezel.

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
This question gets asked a lot in different threads so i thought i'd run through how i change the ceramic bezel on a Daytona.

There are two ways to remove the bezel. Either with a tool with jaws that will lift the bezel or with a blade/knife that you can use to prize the bezel from the case. I prefer to use the bezel tool but will show both methods.

Bezel tool -

Place a ziplock bag over the jaws of the bezel to protect the case, check all of the jaws are sitting in the gap of the bezel and the case, so you don't cause any damage.

​​​​​​

Takes a just a few turns to wind the jaws in and the bezel will be separated from the case

Using a Stanley knife blade -

Place a Stanley knife blade in a cleaning cloth, the thinner the better. Wrap it over the blade to protect the case. If you can find a safety blade without point edges, you don't want this thing anywhere near your wrists.

​​​​​​

You need to work the blade underneath the bezel. Some are much tighter than others, you just need to persist with it. Try different areas of the bezel. You're going to need to use a fair amount of force, be wary of placing too much pressure against the pushers with your hand. Make sure you move the position of the blade in the cloth as it starts to cut through it.

​​​​​​

Now the bezel is free, we need to remove the crystal that is still attached. I place it in a cheap press from eBay with a protective bag over the crystal.

​​​​​​

Check the inside of the crystal and the dial have no dust or particles of dirt on them. You don't want to mount everything back on and then realise there is something sitting underneath the crystal. Don't be tempted to blow on the dial or crystal with your mouth you need to use a tool like this

The crystal needs to be inside the gasket. Now you need to find the LEC at 6, place the crystal over a dark object and locate it. I mark it with a whiteboard marker that i can wipe away with my finger.

Next, put a very fine layer of silicon around the inside of the bezel, you don't want to see any lumps of grease, just enough so you can see a shimmer. Check everything is clean again and place the bezel on the crystal, nice and square, it shouldn't be overhanging more on any side. Adjust the bezel so the markers line up and the LEC is at 6.

If you're happy, get your crystal press ready. i usually use a Robur press but if you're only doing one or two you wont want to be spending a ton of money on a press and dies.

​​​​​​

​​​​​​The advantage of this press over a cheaper one is it will press the bezel on straight every time, which saves a lot of time if you have a few to do. The parts are made to a higher standard. However, it can be done with a cheap $10 press from eBay if you take your time so we'll look at that for now. Theres a few different types, go for a lever type with dies that have threads.

Select a flat die for the bottom and a die that just fits over the glass for the top. Place the case on the press and very gently press down, if you squeeze it hard you run the risk of snapping the ceramic bezel. Remove the case and check it is still lined up. At this point you will be able to adjust it slightly. Keep repeating this until the bezel is almost pressed all the way down with a gap just big enough for your blade to fit underneath in case you need to remove it and start again.

So, that's how you install a ceramic bezel.

If you're good with your hands, plan on installing more than one and don't get stressed too easily i'd say give it a try. If not you might as well just send it to someone to do for you.

Hidenjoy

Renowned Member
8/9/15
Best tutorial ever.
Very nice. Thank you I need to print this at work hahhaha

François.Fillon

Renowned Member
19/11/16
Check the inside of the crystal and the dial have no dust or particles of dirt on them. You don't want to mount everything back on and then realise there is something sitting underneath the crystal. Don't be tempted to blow on the dial or crystal with your mouth

Ah ah ! So true, I definitely need to buy this tool...
Thanks for this tut

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
Thank you so much! I’ve been dying for this.

guru I’ve read a post from guru shaving down the gasket from 2.5mm to 2.1mm when the bezel and crystal are off in order to get the crystal to sit a tiny bit lower as per gen. Is that something you could please add to this?

and yes this should be stickied!

Last edited:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Thanks for the guide, it’ll come in really handy.

I wish I’d read this before I cracked the Noob Daytona bezel I was trying to re-seat after I noticed it wasn’t fitted properly. They’re very brittle!

More to the point, I wish the watchsmith had read this before he sent me back a watch with the bezel not seated correctly...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
Are these cheap tools off eBay good enough?
a4c38d1b6d30abb42af8ab0ad1019e97.jpg

eb9c20e6a591cd9957a3af4f25246e7f.jpg

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
Are these cheap tools off eBay good enough?

Yeah should be ok. I have a cheap one like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watch-Rep...oAAOSwP7tc3UCq

I just use the bezel tool a different way so i don't have metal touching metal anywhere. More than one way to skin a cat as they say.

Just remember to go slow and if you're unsure stop what you're doing, think about it for a minute and if you're not sure you can ask here.

I presume most people will be removing a noob v1 v2 bezel to swap for an upgrade. Try installing this a few time first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nivka

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Just remember to go slow and if you're unsure stop what you're doing, think about it for a minute and if you're not sure you can ask here.

I presume most people will be removing a noob v1 v2 bezel to swap for an upgrade. Try installing this a few time first.

Excellent advice. Learn on the expendable one.

Reactions: Nivka

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
Thanks for the guide, it’ll come in really handy.

I wish I’d read this before I cracked the Noob Daytona bezel I was trying to re-seat after I noticed it wasn’t fitted properly. They’re very brittle!

More to the point, I wish the watchsmith had read this before he sent me back a watch with the bezel not seated correctly...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That sucks, it can go wrong very quickly and there's no going back

Reactions: p0pperini

DD60

Eagle Eyed Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
28/4/17
Good stuff here !
Would also like to see how you shave down a gasket. I've always used sand paper (very fine grit) . More often than not resulting in inconsistent results.

Thanks for sharing red1

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
I thought you could pop the bezel off, WITHOUT removing the crystal?

xartan

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
30/7/16
I thought you could pop the bezel off, WITHOUT removing the crystal?

You can remove and re seat the bezel leaving the crystal on some watches. It looks like it may not be possible with this watch. Not sure just wondering why op would go through the hassle if it’s not necessary so therefore I’m guessing you have to remove the crystal :).

Last edited:
Reactions: Digital.

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
You can remove and re seat the bezel leaving the crystal on some watches. It looks like it may not be possible with this watch. Not sure just wondering why op would go through the hassle if it’s not necessary so therefore I’m guessing you have to remove the crystal :).
Yes 9 times out of 10 it's coming off with the bezel whether you like it or not. I have removed noob bezels that are quite a loose fit. You can keep your thumb on the crystal and pull the bezel off.

Reactions: xartan

d3xophen

Renowned Member
15/9/18
Thanks you. I always want to know this. Removing SS bezel can be done like this too?