• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen 2nd hand prices and waiting lists :o

zach_1622

Known Member
5/2/19
A couple of years ago i bought a gen 114060. Been wearing it every day, but now I see the prices since I've bought mine have increased by at least 40% on the 2nd hand marked... I was hunting down a Daytona, but the waiting lists are insane, and the 2nd hand marked are even more so... My AD actually told me it's not even possible to get on the waitinglists for the popular SS models any more.

I am currently building myself a noob/arf/clean version of a Daytona (hence joining this forum), and I am now considering putting my gen no-date sub in a safe and just getting the replica no-date version and let the gen increase in value. Almost like a stock, if you will... The reps have gotten so good that I'm sure a rep will give me almost the same joy as wearing the gen.

What do you guys think? Is Rolex destroying them selves by not supplying enough watches for a obviously watch-hungry marked?

tommikeson

24/10/14
I don't think they are destroying themselves, but I don't think that it is a good business move. Treating watches like a security is a bad idea and we are seeing a bubble. There are a lot of people speculating. A recession is probably going to hurt this artificial economy more so than the real.

Additionally, if viewed as a normal good consumers will go look elsewhere.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18
Last time I went to an ad (probably like 2 months ago) they were very quick to brush me away when I asked about the sea dwellers / subs, they were quick to offer a milgauss though. After talking for a bit they opened up a bit more and said that I could probably get a sub in a few years, hulk is impossible from what they mentioned. This is why I went to reps, I'm not going to beg an AD to let me give them 5 figures for a watch and have to wait ontop of that too. I would get a gold rolex though as I don't trust plated or "wrapped" ones.

lianhuafoju

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/7/19
I heard from the market outside, if you purchase some other brands or lower models then they will bring out the subs from their safe.

personally I don't like this practice.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Waiting lists are a marketing ploy.

NinetyThree

14/5/19
I hope the bubble bursts, some of mark up on these watches is Insane, ceramic Daytona’s being sold for 21-22k GBP

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
The new norm..AD prices are the discount prices now, it’ll continue to be this way for a long time...it’s been over three years or more and counting

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Don't trouble yourself with waiting lists. If you're spending a lot of money with an AD, then you may get on a list, but if you are a regular pleb, then forget it.

Rolex professional steel watches are purchased almost exclusively by whales and the AD's themselves, and end up being sold to grey dealers before the ink on the original receipt is dry.

The current hysteria for professional steel Rolex is not sustainable, and will eventually wane before the market adjusts.

3 years ago you could have walked into an AD and walked out with a Submariner. The last 2 years are not a rule book for the next 5,10 or 20.

Reactions: zach_1622

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
The problem is that even owning a gen gets doubtfull these days of AD's retention and market speculation. Most watch enthusiasts start to get an instant "that must be a fake" state of mind when they see a Hulk or a Dayto on the street. True, gens will be locked up in safe, reps will become the norm. Strange world !

Reactions: Anyad

Rockinmakicks

Known Member
17/6/19
OP, definitely reps nowadays are really good especially for Rolex. They become so much better that I do not notice it against my Gen. Another plus, since I influence my Two YEar old son to listen to the sweep hands of the reps I can hand it to him without thinking twice knowing that after he's done with it he will just throw it on the floor!

Dantona1984

6/2/17
England
The prices are crazy now. I paid £6,300 4 years ago for a 116520 WD, and currently have spent £4,000 on my franken 116520 BD. When I get a few gen movement parts and clasp I will have spent more on a glorious fake than the real thing!!

Reactions: M_Hall

zach_1622

Known Member
5/2/19
Your're probably right, the prices will normalize, but I think it's going to be a long time. Seems like people have gotten their eyes up for luxury watches like Rolex, and are getting more interested in watches (and in expressing wealth).

I have friends that couldn't name a single Rolex model a couple of years ago, who is now browsing facebook groups and forums for hours looking and wanting. Too bad for them that even if they can afford it, they can't go to the AD and simply buy a watch any more.

If it's actually genuine watch interest or just wanting to show of a luxury item, I'm not sure. I have friends that is driven by both factors :D

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Your're probably right, the prices will normalize, but I think it's going to be a long time. Seems like people have gotten their eyes up for luxury watches like Rolex, and are getting more interested in watches (and in expressing wealth).

I have friends that couldn't name a single Rolex model a couple of years ago, who is now browsing facebook groups and forums for hours looking and wanting. Too bad for them that even if they can afford it, they can't go to the AD and simply buy a watch any more.

If it's actually genuine watch interest or just wanting to show of a luxury item, I'm not sure. I have friends that is driven by both factors :D

Its a Rolex only thing. (Not luxury watches like Rolex) You can still haggle 20% off your Omega, Panerai, IWC or Breitling and wear it out of the AD the same day. It will pass in time as insta / facebook trends shift.

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Its a Rolex only thing. (Not luxury watches like Rolex) You can still haggle 20% off your Omega, Panerai, IWC or Breitling and wear it out of the AD the same day. It will pass in time as insta / facebook trends shift.

Not just, that's the same with AP and Patek. I think it's a question of brand strength and positioning. The ones you mention don't have the same average price tag as Rolex, and even less compared to Patek and AP