• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

84" DateJust franken build

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Hello repizins! Sneak peek at my second build of an 1984 rolex datejust stay tuned!

20190706-124259-907x1612.jpg

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Okay finally found some time to continue on this vintage datejust dated case to 1984 (hence the title)

let's jump right into it! Picked up a brand new sellita movement

now to see the clearance for the hand stack after custom dial spacer is in place
humm.... no clearance for hands!!!!

not to worry though, that's where the H4 pinions come in :D
annnd now the tough part.. installation!

dial side are easy (hour hand/minutes hand) but for the second hand!

Turning the movement over let's tear into it peice by peice lol
okay almost there, in this picture with the RED arrows indicating what we're after.
there you have it folks, H4 pinions installed now work backwards and peice by peice put the parts back onto the movement simple! Lol

turning the movement over again let's glue the DWO setting in place with the nifty tool ;)
that's all for now folks see you here next time for the final results :D

ross29

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/10/09
Wow, are you planning on offering up for sale at some point? That's the birth year of a brother since passed away and my wife also. It looks good so far, I'll be keeping tabs on this post for sure. Thanks for sharing!

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Okay we got some more PROGRESS lol

dial on and date-wheel in place ;)
hands were a super pain to install guess it's due to ultra small/thin couplings
I absolutely love the long hands of these ST hands I thought the hour hand was going to overlap the hour buttons but it just gets that close right up to it awesome!
Annd Done!

1984 Gen case set

Gen mid case
gen case back
gen engine turned bezel
gen crown
gen tube
gen dial
--------------------------------------------
St dress hands
sillita SW200 movement (brand new)
eta H4 canon pinion set
raffles DWO (open 6&9)
swiss made 25-124 crystal
ST endlinks
HR solid stainless steel jubilee bracelet
Raffles movement ring

It won't be far to leave this without a couple wrist shots :D

THANKS FOR WATCHING!!

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Wow, are you planning on offering up for sale at some point? That's the birth year of a brother since passed away and my wife also. It looks good so far, I'll be keeping tabs on this post for sure. Thanks for sharing!

hey man thanks for your interest in this build! Sorry to hear about your past away brother that's young to be going my sympathy,

This piece isn't going for sale this was built for me matching my birth year as well! Took a while to get this beauty together and finding parts but hoping to enjoy it for some years to come! My apologies bro!

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
My attempt on aging the hands to match the dial marker plots,

I think now I'm done with it :D I'm happy with it now the hands are aged and match the dial! Nothing is jumping out at me anymore lol

still searching for a decent date wheel......

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
My attempt on aging the hands to match the dial marker plots,

I think now I'm done with it :D I'm happy with it now the hands are aged and match the dial! Nothing is jumping out at me anymore lol

still searching for a decent date wheel......

Looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Floris787

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Looks like an open 6/9 DWO to me, I wouldn't worry about it.
Looks like the silver dial is turning beige- not uncommon for those 80 dials- I've got one also

But I like your dial better!

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Looks like an open 6/9 DWO to me, I wouldn't worry about it.
Looks like the silver dial is turning beige- not uncommon for those 80 dials- I've got one also

But I like your dial better!

Yes your right! It is turning a color I really like that makes it unique! Specially it changes in different lighting conditions but you already knew that ;)

hey cheers mate! Your looks great too!

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
are these for sale?
Please do lawlessflyer the courtesy of reading the whole thread.

lawlessflyer - beautiful build with immaculate skills and attention to detail, bravo!

I admit I came here looking for the gigantic 84” DateJust - but this standard size ‘84 version is even better. :)