• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex SD43 GEN vs ARF review

TYL88

I'm Pretty Popular
26/7/17
The DW looks good. And i thought the V2 was better. LoL. A ppm mod on the insert + prof or gen xtal will make this delightful :)

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
And, wich are your favourite between them?

I have ARF V3 and I´m thinking to change for Noob.
I wear the noob. Both of mine are stock and there are a few details on the noob that cause me to go to that as my daily driver.

I'll try to upload some pics of the two for comparison but my taptalk has been having issues and won't let me upload pics on RWI.

I like the color of the lumed part of the indexes better. In noob it's closer to a cream where as on ARF it's a brighter white.

The color of the dial is blacker. The color of the red line is crisper. A darker red more like the Gen.

The date wheel. I don't know why ARF struggles with this. If they could just improve their date wheel font... You know the deal with this.

The action of the bezel is a little more 'Gen like' in my opinion.

The case shape - specifically the crown guards are closer to Gen imo.

The rehaut or more specificly, the angle of the branded rehaut ring (I think there is always some debate or uncertainty on what to call this or how to refer to it). On the noob, it has an angle that is more accurate to the Gen. With pics of the Gen here, I really should post some pics of the noob so you can see.

Let's see if these post.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hazing

9/5/19
This rwi/taptalk issue is really starting to fuckking irritate me. I can’t post pics via taptalk. I just snapped like 200 pics of them side by side. Later I’ll try to figure out some other way to post.

Reactions: JCR

LuoIsBoss

I'm Pretty Popular
6/6/17
Scandinavia
Heres my V2.

It has gen xtal, gen dw and gen clicksprings.

My plans with it:

Getting a gen dial.
- This is obviously the biggest flaw on the watch. The rep dial is too black and it is glossy - and it looks awful.
- The gen dial is anthracite black and not pitch glossy black.
- The hourmarkers is too sharp in the edges, because they use steel instead of whitegold, as mentioned before in the thread.
- The red typography is too dark.

Getting a V3 bezel + insert (already ordered):
- The scallops is too small and the bezelteeth is too sharp on the v2 and looks awful, could have it milled but v3 looks much better.
- Insert is almost identical, but the v3 has a less depth in the indices. This will be sent to spongebob for his platinum plating mod.

Getting genuine springbars:
- My SELs on the 12 o' clock-side is perfect, but on the 6 o' clock side, the left side is flush where its recessed on the other, but gen springbars would fix this.

Getting the case reworked:
- I will get reworked the lugs, getting shaved down to 2,5mm instead of the ARF 3mm.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with this build. Looks amazing. Let me know what you think!

68684167_2112391789062052_1979546183298711552_n.jpg

Reactions: MrBeasy

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
Heres my V2.

It has gen xtal, gen dw and gen clicksprings.

My plans with it:

Getting a gen dial.
- This is obviously the biggest flaw on the watch. The rep dial is too black and it is glossy - and it looks awful.
- The gen dial is anthracite black and not pitch glossy black.
- The hourmarkers is too sharp in the edges, because they use steel instead of whitegold, as mentioned before in the thread.
- The red typography is too dark.

Getting a V3 bezel + insert (already ordered):
- The scallops is too small and the bezelteeth is too sharp on the v2 and looks awful, could have it milled but v3 looks much better.
- Insert is almost identical, but the v3 has a less depth in the indices. This will be sent to spongebob for his platinum plating mod.

Getting genuine springbars:
- My SELs on the 12 o' clock-side is perfect, but on the 6 o' clock side, the left side is flush where its recessed on the other, but gen springbars would fix this.

Getting the case reworked:
- I will get reworked the lugs, getting shaved down to 2,5mm instead of the ARF 3mm.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with this build. Looks amazing. Let me know what you think!

68684167_2112391789062052_1979546183298711552_n.jpg

Great plan but gen Springbars wont fit. Except Rolex uses less than 2mm.

chrisscarr

Known Member
18/11/18
I wear the noob. Both of mine are stock and there are a few details on the noob that cause me to go to that as my daily driver.

I'll try to upload some pics of the two for comparison but my taptalk has been having issues and won't let me upload pics on RWI.

I like the color of the lumed part of the indexes better. In noob it's closer to a cream where as on ARF it's a brighter white.

The color of the dial is blacker. The color of the red line is crisper. A darker red more like the Gen.

The date wheel. I don't know why ARF struggles with this. If they could just improve their date wheel font... You know the deal with this.

The action of the bezel is a little more 'Gen like' in my opinion.

The case shape - specifically the crown guards are closer to Gen imo.

The rehaut or more specificly, the angle of the branded rehaut ring (I think there is always some debate or uncertainty on what to call this or how to refer to it). On the noob, it has an angle that is more accurate to the Gen. With pics of the Gen here, I really should post some pics of the noob so you can see.

Let's see if these post.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for your answer. Maybe I change factory.

Cadows

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/18
Europe
I'm wondering if ARF has changed anything with the weight becouse I have a ARF V3 For sure and also the noob v2 sd43 and a high quality digital scale and I've weighed both of them with all the links intact and the AR SD43 weighed 186 grams and the noob weighed 187 grams and in your review your scale said it weighed 197 grams .. either that or one of the scales is off ..

Thank you for the terrific review I love to see these comparisons . I was going to mod the noob v2 but the fact that he HEV is very different compared to gen and the ARF as well as the crystal height on the noob v2 is slightly higher and to me those are a instant tell more then the boxy lugs on the ARF so I've decided to mod the ARF .. as I've just recieved a insert from the great Spongebob and one of the epic PROF crystals intill i can source the GEN :D

Hey bro. Since you mentioned Spongebob, how can I contact him and which insert has better engraving, noob or arf?

Cadows

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/18
Europe
zaeim bro can you take closeup of a gen insert? Is platinum light or darker, glossy, mid glossy or matt? Cheers

Bigcity777

31/7/19
US / Closing deals
Hey bro. Since you mentioned Spongebob, how can I contact him and which insert has better engraving, noob or arf?

IMOP the engraving is closer to gen on the noob but since I've decided to mod the ARF I contacted spongebob and he happened to have the ARF bezel insert already modded with his real platinum sputter coating and his numeral smoothing in stock so I had him send that one since it would be a direct fit with the ARF bezel.That mod is only temporary intill I can source the GEN bezel and insert assembly ...but it looks KILLER for a mod .. spongebob does a terrific job .. and you can contact him by message he is a trusted modder on the forum.. it took 24 hours for the initial reply and he was very easy to do business with and he answered all my questions and sent pictures from every angle to ensure I was satisfied before I sent payment.. but let me tell you when I received his insert it was even more stunning in person the numerals seemed to be radio active with how they popped in the sunlight.. VERY VERY close to gen ! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Cadows

Cadows

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/18
Europe
IMOP the engraving is closer to gen on the noob but since I've decided to mod the ARF I contacted spongebob and he happened to have the ARF bezel insert already modded with his real platinum sputter coating and his numeral smoothing in stock so I had him send that one since it would be a direct fit with the ARF bezel.That mod is only temporary intill I can source the GEN bezel and insert assembly ...but it looks KILLER for a mod .. spongebob does a terrific job .. and you can contact him by message he is a trusted modder on the forum.. it took 24 hours for the initial reply and he was very easy to do business with and he answered all my questions and sent pictures from every angle to ensure I was satisfied before I sent payment.. but let me tell you when I received his insert it was even more stunning in person the numerals seemed to be radio active with how they popped in the sunlight.. VERY VERY close to gen ! :D

Thanks bro

Dan2018

Known Member
19/8/18
U.K.
Bigcity777 - great post. How do you contact Spongebob? I tried to DM what I thought was his user but it says hes not accepting private messages.

Bigcity777

31/7/19
US / Closing deals
Bigcity777 - great post. How do you contact Spongebob? I tried to DM what I thought was his user but it says hes not accepting private messages.

just go to the search bar in the options bar on your home page and search for spongebob then the third post on the list there will be a link on the post to his profile then send a message to him .. if that doesn't work he is probably away or just not taking any new orders at this time .. at least that's what I would figure .. becouse he was exchanging messages with me just the other day...his profile avatar is the real spongebob.

Reactions: Dan2018

jcher

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
1/8/17
I read that noob’s SD43 dials are superior as they better captured the indexes color. I currently have a SD43 V2 and I’m planning on switching ARF dial and hands for the noob’s ones. The noob version uses a A2836, would it be a straight fit ? Thanks

Tagmeinit

Looking Around
22/1/19
UK
The crown guard is always a big tell on these for me, but other than that they really are a great rep.

Hazing

9/5/19
Does anyone know, can I upload multiple images at pixelsbin? Just curious.

Okay so the noob is generally on the right. Be careful because there are 1 or 2 where the noob is on the left but I set the noob to the 26th while the ARF is on the 25th.

Se of the colors are misleading in pics (sorry for the quality. I just used my shitty phone) but the noob has a "blacker" dial and the red "sea Dweller" is in a darker, more Gen like red. The bracelet and the lume are really good on the ARF.

If anyone wants to see anything specific let me know.

Last edited:

Steve McGarrett

Known Member
Patron
Certified
8/3/18
Short question- In case of Noob V2 some TD quote A2836 or A3235 (for example +50 USD) - any experience which movement is more stable?

omar_bosnjovic

Looking Around
27/8/19
Hello I’m new in this
Great review,thanks
I would like to ask where can i buy Sd43arf Vs,some link or Td?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

omar_bosnjovic

Looking Around
27/8/19
Hello I’m new in this
Great review,thanks
I would like to ask where can i buy Sd43arf V3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk